The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sluissi slow tech penalty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Sluissi slow tech penalty Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane Arroway wrote:
Most of my players in the past have always played humans. I don't mind if they want to play an alien, but they have to work that out with me before they assume it's alright. Naturally, I'm fine with the "standard" species in the "core" book as well as a few others. But, as we know, many of the species are really weird or have no real reason to be off their planet. I'm currently playing a Rebel/New Republic game right now with a twi'lek Jedi as the lead character. The other characters are two humans and an Ubese, who recently joined. Although I agree that too many aliens make infiltration missions against the Empire difficult, limited at best in some cases, I still wouldn't restrict my players from playing an alien, especially if they are passionate about it.
If you're starting a new game, maybe try a fringer game. That way aliens would fit the adventures better.

Yeah it was a simpler time at the beginning of the game where players did have the D&D mentality that there may be a million species but a small fraction are playable species, and most players wanted to play humans. I still consider those species in the SW sourcebook and R&E to be the 'old school core species' (although I never had anyone that wanted to play a Sand Person, which like you mentioned would be a species that would be hard to contrive a reason for them to leave their home planet and become adventurers).

I've denied some player choices for a particular alien species, but I've never mandated that any single player could not play an alien. But there have a been a couple campaigns where every single player in the group initially chose an alien, and I've had to say We need at least one human in the PC group, so work it out amongst yourselves which one of you it will be. The players that were most passionate about playing an alien still did, and no one ever expressed unhappiness with their final character. Character creation is a full-group process in my game anyway.

Not only rebels infiltrate the Empire, and most of games primarily take place in the fringe, rebel or not, regardless of how many humans are in the PC group. Infiltrating the Empire happens more often in the outer regions of the galaxy because aliens and fingers are scrutinized a lot more in the inner regions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps in those cases where everyone wants to run an alien, you can make the game more fringe related, than rebs vs empire.. That way you get around the whole "infiltration" issues.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Not only rebels infiltrate the Empire, and most of games primarily take place in the fringe, rebel or not, regardless of how many humans are in the PC group. Infiltrating the Empire happens more often in the outer regions of the galaxy because aliens and fingers are scrutinized a lot more in the inner regions.

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps in those cases where everyone wants to run an alien, you can make the game more fringe related, than rebs vs empire.. That way you get around the whole "infiltration" issues.

lol
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i say fringe related i mean more corp/criminally focused, ie spending a lot of time working with hutts and such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: