The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Players, Characters and Choices
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Players, Characters and Choices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Players, Characters and Choices Reply with quote

So I have a player in who I'm having a little trouble getting to jump at plot hooks. He regularly complains about being railroaded if I push the plot along via external forces, (which to me isn't railroading. it just means that if you chose not to participate in the world's events, the events happen without you and you get no say in their outcome) He won't jump at plot hooks, even those directly aimed at him. (What? Your ex-Cop's one failure; the thing that got him drummed out of the police force is lose, actively taunting you, and threatening to kill your former partner if you DON'T participate in the plot hook, and you walk away as Not interested?) But he also has no direction of his own, I ask him where he wants his character to go, and he suggests he goes and hang out at the bar.

*SIGH*

Trying to find a way to get shove this article at him politely...

http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html

Particularly this part:
Quote:
Another useful application of this concept involves accepting story hooks your DM gives to you. Try to never just say, "My character isn't interested in that adventure." A lot of people mistake this for good roleplaying, because you are asserting your character's personality. Wrong. Good roleplaying should never bring the game to a screeching halt. One of your jobs as a player is to come up with a reason why your character would be interested in a plot. After all, your personality is entirely in your hands, not the DM's. Come up with a reason why the adventure (or the reward) might appeal to you, no matter how esoteric or roundabout the reasoning.

If the paladin is to blame for the last problem, this one belongs to the druid. Druids have such a specific set of principles that players often mistake them for being a free pass to demand that each adventure revolve around their goals. Raiding a dungeon for gold doesn't appeal to the druid mindset, so what are you to do if you play one and are presented with that goal? You improvise. Maybe the gold will enable you to purchase magic items that will let you protect the wilderness. Maybe the ruins contain unnatural monsters that need to be killed regardless of the treasure. Maybe, just maybe, the other PCs are your friends and you are willing to help them just because. Too often that last part is forgotten; I don't think anyone reading this has never spent the night doing something they'd rather not because a friend asked.

So if you're really paying attention, you may be thinking, "Hey, don't those two points contradict one another? First he says to separate what your character thinks from what you think, but then he says your character doesn't have its own reactions." Well, no. Separate your character's thoughts from your own thoughts, but don't forget who is in control of both personalities. The division between your personality and that of your character only goes so far as it helps the game; once it begins becoming a disruption, a player has a responsibility to alter his or her character's decisions in the interest of the group. In the end, your relationships with the people you are sitting in someone's living room with are more important than your character's internal consistency.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most groups have one of those players. I've tried running for folks like that. It can be disheartening. Most claim to be roleplaying their character, but let's be honest, they're just being jerks to see what you'll do.

There are a few suggestions I think might help. First, would be to incorporate the corruption points that Don from Shooting Womprats came up with. If players refuse to be heroic, then they become corrupted and eventually have serious psychosis that afflicts them. If I were part of a person's crew and found out that someone would leave a friend and former partner to die at the hands of a madman, I'd throw him off the ship.

The 2nd alternative is that you let him sit in the bar and drink himself to death while the rest of the group has fun. Have him roll stamina checks every so often and let him know you'll get to him when something interesting happens. Clean him out of money and eventually he'll need to adventure, if only to get enough money to go out drinking again. After a session of sitting on his hands, he'll get the point. You can hand him the article to read while he's drinking in the bar.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to him out of game and express your issues. If he does not wish to participate in the game cause he does not want to go out adventuring, ask him how he feels he will ever earn any cash or CP?
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest seeing what the rest of the party thinks of his dour nature. If they're bothered by it as well, break the next session a bit early and bring it up in front of the group to this player, asking if he intends to ever participate and help the team. If he comes back flaky, ask if its his char, the party or the system he doesn't like. Then move forward with corrective actions.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the part of the article you quoted is spot-on. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to remind folks that the reason you're gathering around the table is to have fun. That this rule trumps all others.

I'd probably sit down with that person outside of the game (first) and let them know that proceeding that way isn't going to work.

But, after giving that warning, I'd do just what Raven suggested. I'd have their character sitting at the bar drinking while everyone else adventured on.
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with everyone on this topic. It really makes you wonder why this guy keeps showing up to games if he doesn't want to "play"? Is his idea of fun just sitting around?

The problem I have is that half my group wants to be railroaded. I feel that when the game doesn't profide a clear role for a player to fill, they just show up and go along. MMOs and DnD have spoiled things for some people, IMO.
I had a player join in on my main campaign recently. We sat down and talked at length about his character concept and what the group (rebel cell) needed. It was express that an inspiring diplomat was required to gather allies to the cause. His character would be a noble-in-exile from the region who could gather allies and support. Eventually, becoming a true leader.
Instead, he's a spoiled brat who, so far, has pissed off everyone, players and NPCs. He hasn't offered any ideas or suggestions on what to do. As a player he has shown no interest in what or who his character might know to help the group. He's even managed to ignore important parts of the background he wrote or spun them to justify his bratiness.
My guess is, because he doesn't have a special ability or skill that sets him apart from the others, like bardic knowledge, he just uses what's on his character sheet without any imagination. As a player his main goal so far has been to upgrade his weapons and gather as much loot as possible. Sound familiar?
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still cant believe some of the Rp dialogue he used to try and bond with a former slave Lane Smile
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people (most perhaps) are just not leaders. Many, due to public "education" and mass media programming simply do not have the ability to think for themselves. He may just simply be a follower.

Don't give him any hooks. Give everyone else in the group hooks, but not him. Keep this up - letting each player have a turn at being the star for one adventure - but just skip over him, again and again...until he asks for a hook.

As long as he contributes to the group, he's OK. Give him reduced XP and tell him what a good job he did. When he asks why he gets less XP tell him what you want as a Director. He will step up because he want to, or he won't because he can't. As long as he's having fun, there's no problem.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Players, Characters and Choices Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
He regularly complains about being railroaded if I push the plot along via external forces, (which to me isn't railroading. it just means that if you chose not to participate in the world's events, the events happen without you and you get no say in their outcome) He won't jump at plot hooks, even those directly aimed at him. (What? Your ex-Cop's one failure; the thing that got him drummed out of the police force is lose, actively taunting you, and threatening to kill your former partner if you DON'T participate in the plot hook, and you walk away as Not interested?) But he also has no direction of his own, I ask him where he wants his character to go, and he suggests he goes and hang out at the bar.

Great discussion in the thread. Why the hell would a player want to spend hours pretending to sit at a bar and drinking? Even if the player has no money or can't drink real alcohol, he could just go to a real bar and sit there for hours drinking water. But then the bartender may try to "railroad" him into ordering a drink. 8)

In my experience these things are best addressed preemptively before the campaign even begins. Background, Personality and Objective should be discussed as a part of the character concept up front between the GM and player, and I engage the players to tell me the kinds of stories he would like for his character. If a player told me upfront his PC's objective was to go to the bar, I would seriously ask him why he even wants to play the game because you can't make a campaign or character arc out of that. Does the player just want to show up and watch the GM and other players roleplay? He doesn't need a character to do that, and if he just watches the game he won't be "railroaded". If he submitted the PC background you describe upfront and then doesn't roleplay that in the campaign, then the player is not being honest and the player needs more than gentle nudges in play. The player needs to be pulled aside after the session and asked why he is not playing the character described on the character sheet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the old tried and true tactic of, Showing the players what a real railroad looks like. once they have a little perspective, you can let them off the old plot train!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: