The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you consider when choosing your species?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> What do you consider when choosing your species? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
But your avatar looks like Darth Helmet from Spaceballs, not a Duros... Confused

But people pick avatars for all kinds of reasons. I picked mine early in the morning before I drank my coffee, and it looked the closest to how I felt.

But I was responding to a post where Mikael wrote "the old Duro navigator (see my avatar)".

I think he goofed and was thinking of an avatar from another forum.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
But your avatar looks like Darth Helmet from Spaceballs, not a Duros... Confused

But people pick avatars for all kinds of reasons. I picked mine early in the morning before I drank my coffee, and it looked the closest to how I felt.

But I was responding to a post where Mikael wrote "the old Duro navigator (see my avatar)".

Right, and I totally am cool with that. But crmcneill then questioned why I posted about his avatar here, and I was explaining why I did so.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

Right, and I totally am cool with that. But crmcneill then questioned why I posted about his avatar here, and I was explaining why I did so.

Ahh I see. Very well.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amonids do get the six tech skill dice but have 4 less attribute dice than humans.

I tend to never play humans. I don't think I've ever been the same species twice. Unless you count npcs. Oh, and droids. But I've never been the same model droid.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I see species as almost secondary. The character's role is primary for me.

But, I do like to experiement with races I've never played before. So, my primary consideration of race is can I role play as an alien, not just a "man in a mask". What would be the difference in world view, choices, actions, and can I make a cool voice or alien sounds while role playing? Can I use the race to add something the group has never seen before?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my gms wanted to surprise me and frame my character for murder so he started my character waking up in a posh hotel, naked, in bed with a naked dead man, blood everywhere.

The rest of the group's jaws dropped. It didn't embarrass me at all. I was playing a Barabel at the time. I figured an anthropomorphic reptile wouldn't be attracted to mammals, regardless of gender.

The worst part about that game was the gm gave us 2000 credits to outfit ourselves, with approval, and I never saw that gear. Losing gear happens, but if you're gonna take it from me the moment the game starts, don't make me spend a couple hours going through gear books to outfit myself.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: human and alien PCs Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
I may be a oddity here, but I, if given the choice, always play a human...

I default to playing a human.

I wish I had you in my game! For the past 20 years or so, humans have been an oddity in many of my campaigns. I love the old 'humans pose as Imperials' bit and it's often difficult to do that if there are no humans in the party. And even though I appropriately use discrimination against aliens in my game, I still have players largely choosing to play aliens.

lurker wrote:
...humans are just inherently better

I feel the game stats for a lot of species don't accurately reflect the fluff text, and humans are a prime example. Humans are obviously the dominant galactic species in the films and EU, and Humans are commonly referred as a superior species in the fluff text, yet the game system is based around average attributes being 2D, and says an average human is all 2D even though the fluff text describes humans as above average.

To better reflect human dominance, the first thing I have done is to stat the average human as having 2D+1 in all attributes, thus making humans a 14D attribute species in my game. (Of course there are still individual members with lower and higher attribute die totals like with any species.) 2D is still the galactic average attribute, so average humans are more accurately stated out as above the galactic average. The next thing I have done is to raise the maximum human attribute to value to 4D+1 for all attributes.

For game balance, all player characters of all species have exactly 18D in attributes (so there is no 'species average die value total plus 6D' in my game), and no PCs of any species may have more than one attribute as 4D or higher. PCs of any playable species also cannot have any attributes lower than 2D, to be more conducive to PCs being a little more well-rounded.

lurker wrote:
If I try and find a race other than human I start to power game it, which I hate sooooo I revert to human and go with it.

Kudos to you for acknowledging your personal tendency and intentionally not giving into it. Star Wars does have a lot of cool aliens that could be potential player character races. To be fair, most of my players did not choose a species to power game. However, I'm very concerned with game balance anyway. It doesn't seem to be a popular idea here, but I have attempted to game balance PC species stats with respect to each other. No, I do NOT balance NPCs or average species stats to each other. No, not all species have evolved equally. I only balance PCs to each other.

I have restated some alien game stat blocks. In my game, all species have a species package roughly equated to 4D in skill dice. The first thing I did away with is all variable benefiting abilities like two-for-one skill dice for certain skills. They've been replaced with a flat number of bonus skill dice. Some special abilities are hard to equate to skill dice value so complete game balance (as much as possible) is still up to me (as GM) in play. If a species has more than "4D" worth of advantages, then they have some disadvantage(s) to offset. Conversely, species that have disadvantages but not enough advantages get some new ones to get up to the positive 4D value. I go with film canon and EU fluff text as much as possible for determining what the appropriate alien abilities package should be.

To balance with alien PCs and honor Human fluff text describing humans as extremely versatile, the Human PC species package is plus 4D to use for any skills (so this is on top of the base 7D all characters get). And the story factor of general preferential treatment humans get in the Empire is a completely uncompensated for bonus over aliens.

And even with all this, I still have a hard time getting players to play humans!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when dms do that too. Now if i may get it back later in the game, i am ok with it.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: re: aliens Reply with quote

Having long accepted my lot in life of having players that largely want to play aliens, I have had no choice but to have a fairly large list of playable species. It is better to have a lot of player species for players to choose from then continually telling players no they can't play that first choice species they want to play.

So basically, I first encourage all players to play a human. If they consider that and still want to play an alien, then they have a core list of aliens that I encourage them to pick from. If they still want to play another species, then I have a secondary list of aliens to choose from. The first two lists are long. (Sometimes there is a smaller third alien species list depending on the campaign, they may have primary or secondary status.) If the player still wants to play another species (including an original species), then I will consider their choice/creation and give them a chance to sell me on their character concept. If we come to agreement on the concept, then we stat out the alien species in my system and add the species to the secondary alien list.

There is no limit to how many human or near-human characters can be in any campaign, but I do have a standard of preferring not to have two or more members of the same fully-alien species in any campaign PC group, for the sake of character variety. However, that is not a hard rule, and if two players sell me on having character concepts of the same alien species (family members or whatever), then I have allowed it. I'm not a fan of Wookiee PCs unless they can clearly differentiate themselves from Chewbacca (I don't want a PC-level clone of Chewie), so out of handful of Wookiee PCs I've ever run, two of them were in the same campaign (brothers) until one of them died.

DougRed4 wrote:
I tend to go with look first and foremost.

For choosing which species I allow as playable species (at least my core species), that is probably my first criteria too. And for the non-film species that only appear in artwork, bad artwork can turn me away from being interested in a species. I have come across species with an interesting background that I don't remember reading about before and assume they were a post-WEG species, and then look at the WEG Alien Species books and find they were there with bad artwork so I just overlooked them, not even reading the capsule. Species aesthetics are not the only important aspect, but they are undeniably important.

garhkal wrote:
For me, when making a character alien, i try to match up what species i take with what concept i am going for. Like say i am doing a techie. You of course have Jawas and verpines, but often i also go for other less 'seen techie' races

Although I do enjoy creative character concepts that play against type, a fitting species choice in an important aspect of character concept.

garhkal wrote:
i also go for other less 'seen techie' races like Ugnauts or Slussi.

Ugnaughts and Sluissi are both core playable species in my game, while Jawas and Verpines are secondary playable species. I like Verpine but don't like that they only have 4 limbs, so I created the species that the Verpine are a genetic engineering offshoot of, the Verinex, my core insect species. They look like Verpine but have 4 arms instead of only two, and I've otherwise altered them biologically (instead of having no gender they are all males who have a queen). Verinex are technologically and mechanically oriented, with not quite the same personality tendencies as Verpine.

wildfire wrote:
What looks like it could be fun to play, often of late it's been feline races Smile

I like feline characters. Inspired by the Horansi, I also created the 'missing link' species (the "Felidae") that Cathars, Farghuls, Togorians, Trianii and Horansi are evolutionary offshoots of (so these EU canon species are "Near-Felidae species"). Felidae have 10 main races that each look like the four Horansi races, those other four feline species, and a couple of feline species from other games. Felidae are more likely a genus and the races are distinct species, but either way the races are breedable with each other. I wanted to allow players to play characters that look like any of these cat species (or a feline character of their own design), but have a single species stat block and species homeworld for them all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

often i prefer humans or near human, my near humans often have the base same stats as humans, just looking bit diferent some times.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from this page of our website, most of our PCs are Humans. For whatever reason my players have gravitated towards Humans, though they have not really taken advantage of the fact they look like most Imperials.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: re: aliens Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Having long accepted my lot in life of having players that largely want to play aliens, I have had no choice but to have a fairly large list of playable species. It is better to have a lot of player species for players to choose from then continually telling players no they can't play that first choice species they want to play.

So basically, I first encourage all players to play a human. If they consider that and still want to play an alien, then they have a core list of aliens that I encourage them to pick from. If they still want to play another species, then I have a secondary list of aliens to choose from. The first two lists are long. (Sometimes there is a smaller third alien species list depending on the campaign, they may have primary or secondary status.) If the player still wants to play another species (including an original species), then I will consider their choice/creation and give them a chance to sell me on their character concept. If we come to agreement on the concept, then we stat out the alien species in my system and add the species to the secondary alien list.

Have you thought to instigate some sort of 'cost buy in' for those secondary and primary alien races? Say 1-3 pips of the starting 7 dice?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed most skill bonuses for species were cultural. Not attributes, but skills. So I created a system where humans got a few skill bonuses depending on where they grew up. Usually 2D for 1D at character creation.

Corellians got the same skill bonuses as the duros. Alderaanians got bonuses in certain perception skills. Stuff like that. Like the Chiss bonuses.

It let my players be humans, which most of them wanted to be, and kept them happy without impacting the game any more than having a Duros in the group did.

For alot of people, being a human helps you relate to the character, something I figured out while running a transformers game. I let them be the heads for headmaster transformers and it really helped them get into character.

Getting into the mindset of a Bothan or a Trandoshan isn't always easy, especially for new players. I found the skill bonus was a good compromise. YMMV
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense krytoss
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
For alot of people, being a human helps you relate to the character... Getting into the mindset of a Bothan or a Trandoshan isn't always easy, especially for new players.

I strongly encourage new players to start with humans.

garhkal wrote:
Have you thought to instigate some sort of 'cost buy in' for those secondary and primary alien races? Say 1-3 pips of the starting 7 dice?

No, I haven't considered that. Interesting idea. I'll think about that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: