The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill use without the skill???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Skill use without the skill??? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It seems like alignments and encumbrance, languages is the most often glossed over part of RPGs. Too many gamers think they are not worth the bother. If you are going to do away with it, why not just go all the way and say ALL races speak basic, and get rid of languages entirely?

To each GM his own. If they wanted their SWU to have everyone speaking the same language they are free to do that, but that would be a poor reflection of the film series the game is based on which has alien languages. According to the subtitles, one of Palpatine's aides speaks Huttese to him! And Palpatine understood with no trouble.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, it is imo a poor reflection of the films. So why not keep the language skills in place, and if players neglect the skill, let them suffer.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Exactly, it is imo a poor reflection of the films. So why not keep the language skills in place, and if players neglect the skill, let them suffer.

Since language rolls are normally only needed to understand languages the character is not already fluent in, they won't suffer too much in my game because I am so generous with language fluencies in the first place. They have to pick the fluencies during character generation, but sure there may still be occasions they have to use the language skill.

garhkal wrote:
It seems like alignments and encumbrance, languages is the most often glossed over part of RPGs. Too many gamers think they are not worth the bother.

Encumbrance - I am all about including the realism of encumbrance in my game but I don't have any nickle and dime system that has max weight limits and calculates the weight of each item on their person. I just use a very healthy dose of common sense. Most SW adventures are not wilderness exploring and dungeon crawls. This isn't D&D. Players can leave that materialistic mentality at the blast door. If characters try to carry around too much on their person, sooner or later it will be a detriment. And not only weighing them down and tiring them, but also negatively effecting sneak attempts, attracting pick pockets, etc.

And by Alignment, do you mean moral alignment like in D&D? You did say RPGs in general, and like RAW my SW game has no formal alignment system per se. But appropriate morality of the characters is very important in my game even if not in terms of alignment. In Rebel campaigns, the PCs can't be evil and act like Sith or Imperials. I do give DS points (and warn) appropriately, even for non-FS PCs. For mercenary/smuggler campaigns, they can be "neutral" in it for the credits, but still can't be evil. But mostly these things only need to be discussed up front. It is extremely clear up front what type of game we are playing, and all my players are aware I have no interest in running evil characters. Most every neutral campaigns I've ran were Han Solo arc games that transformed the characters into heroes by the end. I think I've only ran one straight "neutral" campaign from start to finish, what started out as a PC bounty hunter guild turned into a galactic mercenary organization, but even they became galactic heroes (for the right price).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are so liberal in handing out fluency, then what use is the language skill? Do they meet aliens they don't have fluency with that often?
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not often, but it definitely does happen. And the Languages skill is not just for speaking with aliens. It is also used to translate ancient writings and the like.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: