The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Home / Apartment Costs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Home / Apartment Costs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That actually makes me wonder, do they sell Ship insurance?
Hard to believe they wouldn't. Insurance is both useful at times and lucrative (usually) for the insurers. I would think the Banking Clans would insist on businesses having insurance as a condition of the their loan.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Hard to believe they wouldn't. Insurance is both useful at times and lucrative (usually) for the insurers. I would think the Banking Clans would insist on businesses having insurance as a condition of the their loan.

The problem then is that the insurance companies would very likely try to weasel out of underwriting a claim on a vessel being used for illegal activities (which pretty much covers every PC ship ever).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The problem then is that the insurance companies would very likely try to weasel out of underwriting a claim on a vessel being used for illegal activities (which pretty much covers every PC ship ever).

True, but illegal use of a ship wouldn't eliminate the legal requirement to have it if there was one in civilized space. I most certainly think there should be insurance. Perhaps the Empire wouldn't really care enough about you to require full coverage but I would think you would at least have to carry liability coverage. I mean, you could much more easily kill innocents and destroy property in a spaceship than you could with a car on Earth.

Ah yes, another way to nickel and dime my tramps. Makes that highly illegal and dangerous (yet lucrative) cargo look that much more tempting... Twisted Evil
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Ah yes, another way to nickel and dime my tramps. Makes that highly illegal and dangerous (yet lucrative) cargo look that much more tempting... :twisted:

One more things for the mean ol' customs officials to nail them on; lack of insurance.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup!

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I bet the hutts would have forgers making great insurance papers..
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I mean, you could much more easily kill innocents and destroy property in a spaceship than you could with a car on Earth.

Well, if you wanted to harm them, I guess, but I would think collisions in space would be extremely unlikely, since there's a ton of room out there. How often do you hear about seagoing ships crashing? Now, what if instead of a million square miles to travel in, those ships had a billion cubic miles?

Complete Starship Construction System
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Whill wrote:
I mean, you could much more easily kill innocents and destroy property in a spaceship than you could with a car on Earth.

Well, if you wanted to harm them, I guess, but I would think collisions in space would be extremely unlikely, since there's a ton of room out there. How often do you hear about seagoing ships crashing? Now, what if instead of a million square miles to travel in, those ships had a billion cubic miles?

True, but I'm thinking that he's trying to aim at something more like a ship crashing into a planet. Say for instance in episode 3 when the capital ship that Ani crashed had went into say... a residential and populated area instead of the starport?
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Hutts have their own 'insurance' ways too.

When a smuggler is working for them, they have a bond or amount of money that is used (I'm not sure if it comes from the Hutt, employeer for the goods, or if the smuggler has to pay into)and if the smuggler dumps their cargo or runs off with it.

That money is then turned into a bounty on the smuggler.

I believe I read this in a Han Solo book, and hence that was his issue with Jabba.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Whill wrote:

True, but I'm thinking that he's trying to aim at something more like a ship crashing into a planet. Say for instance in episode 3 when the capital ship that Ani crashed had went into say... a residential and populated area instead of the starport?

Yes, I would think the greatest danger to innocents and property when flying a spaceship would be in the landings and taking-offs, not the voyages through mostly emply outer space.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Praxian wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Whill wrote:

Yes, I would think the greatest danger to innocents and property when flying a spaceship would be in the landings and taking-offs, not the voyages through mostly emply outer space.

There are incidents with ships coming in and out of port all the time all over the world today, now imagine a planet like Coruscant.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Praxian wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Whill wrote:

Yeah, but most of the ships that can land are small enough to do less damage than that cruiser, or even an airliner, and easier to land to boot. (due to repulsorlifts and the ability to hover easily.)

Complete Starship Construction System
Spartikis
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm confused by your use of the word "reward". Doesn't that mean that the PCs won't be paying rent? If they will be, then how is the apartment a "reward"? Can't any PC jujst choose to look for an apartment on any planet and rent one if they find one they like that's available?

i was curious about the price of a house, as this was the reward. However, rent prices as just a side note i was also interested in since i was asking the question i figured it was related.

Whill wrote:
I find it difficult to come up with prices for a fictional galactic economy.

The Star Wars Sourcebook has the following general housing prices:

Hovel 150-250/mo. (rent)
Regular Apt. 250-500 mo. (rent)
Luxury Apt. 500-1400/mo. (rent)
House 750-1800+/mo. (rent) / 35000 (buy)
Storage Space 10-100/mo. (rent)
Established Farm 1000-50000+ (buy)
New Settlement 50-50000 (buy)

Personally i feel the rent for a hovel is way to high. There are places here in the US that rent for less than 100 dollars and there is supposed to be a 5:1 dollar to credit ratio i thought. ALso, just as an example, there are TINY apartments in NY city that can costs millions of dollars to buy, or tens of thousands of dollars a month to rent.

Quote:
Yeah, just add a few mulitpliers.

Planet/City
Mos Eisley: x1
Coruscant: x10

Neighborhood
Slums: x1
Middle class: x2
High class: x4

I like the idea of having base prices for everything and then just using a factor for the plant, city, neightborerhood, etc
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
How much for a penthouse apartment on the Death Star?

Whill wrote:
Suprisingly affordable for something with the supreme entertainment value of watching planets get blown up.

(Cut to the Death Star. Cut to inside. Doof is at a computer.)
Darthenshmirtz: Wait, that's it! I solved my Force problem! I can extract it from Vader's garbage. It...It says right here, see? You can find anything on the Internet. Hey, check it out, Norm-3PO. According to this real estate website, my timeshare on Alderaan is worth, like, 10 times more than I paid for it six years ago! Oh, I knew the value would go up! It's just, it's such a peaceful place to.. (Alderaan gets destroyed by the Death Star in the background.) Wait, what? What's this? The value is totally dropping!! Zero?!?!

The Star Wars Phineas & Ferb special is funny! "Socks, socks, socks, socks socks socks, socks socks socks"
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Y'know, I think I need to introduce the concept to my players...LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: