The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1E: essential books
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> 1E: essential books Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1E: essential books Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters 2E does have some text accidentally cropped from one of the chapters, but I'd still recommend the 2E version (the missing material is available online).

What was missing? I bought both editions of Tramp Freighters because 1E had some rules I liked, but I never caught that there was missing material.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I not know there were so many Seattle gamers??

KPeterson, out of curiosity - did you buy those at the UW Half Price location, or the Southcenter one? Either way I think I've been pilfering books before you get there Smile.

I'll second a lot of what's said here - for years, I ran games with only the 2ER&E core book and some made up stats when we needed them - enemies were always between base level characters and the Luke / Vader stats in the 2E book. That's why I love D6 - get to know the dice codes, and make it all up!

DougRed, I need to hear more about this Lynnwood thing.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a bunch of us from Seattle on here. Not to mention that I know probably 12-15 players that would eagerly and gladly join a SW D6 game.

Our annual little con is just really a gathering of friends, but we are continually having new players show up (and we greatly enjoy this; it's by no means an exclusive group).

From some responses I've gotten, I'm tempted to drop the Top Secret game I've got scheduled, to run a D6 SW one (perhaps a PvP Jawas vs. Sandpeople game inspired by a post here on this site).

Mojomoe, feel free to shoot me a PM to doug-red4-at-gmail-dot-com (no dashes, the only period being the dot above), and I'd be glad to give you more info.

What would be really, really, super cool would be if we could get all the West Coast people here to make it some year (perhaps next year?). Just from this forum we've got myself, crmcneill, Fallon Kell, Mojomoe, KPeterson, griff, Godora, and probably a few more. Can you imagine how fun that could be?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein is on that list, too; he's in Portland. We actually had a pow wow last weekend on a couple of projects. Always fun to meet up and nerd out.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, in the words of Yoda "there is another". Very Happy

We should at the very least try to plan some weekend of Star Wars d6 gaming, even if it were just for a day.
KPeterson
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
KPeterson, out of curiosity - did you buy those at the UW Half Price location, or the Southcenter one? Either way I think I've been pilfering books before you get there Smile.

I got most of my books from the UW HPB. Found the Jedi Academy sourcebook at Southcenter.

Once in a blue moon, I make it out to the Redmond HPB. A few months ago, they had quite a few WEG SW books, but I held off on getting anything. I visited there about 2 weeks ago, and they were pretty much cleaned out. Was that you? Wink
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, no, that must be somebody else out here who's D6 crazy like me. Smile

Honestly, I check HalfPrice about once every two weeks. The only thing that makes me happier than picking up a few sourcebooks is seeing them disappear between visits - that way I know they're going to a good home, maybe even someone picking them up for the first time! Oh, the fun they're in for...

Also, at the UW location, check the glass case (if you haven't) to the right of the RPG books. Sometimes they've got good high-ticket items there. I found a few 1E adventure modules once or twice for around $10-20, in great shape.

Southcenter's also great because it's off the beaten path. They've usually got a good bunch every few months or so.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Oh yeah, in the words of Yoda "there is another". Very Happy

We should at the very least try to plan some weekend of Star Wars d6 gaming, even if it were just for a day.

Yes, there is another. Twisted Evil

It would indeed be fun to do this. I can easily get up to Seattle by train. Though, if we were to do something like that, we should definitely do the whole character creation thing online.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
It would indeed be fun to do this. I can easily get up to Seattle by train. Though, if we were to do something like that, we should definitely do the whole character creation thing online.

I agree; it does sound fun. With a couple weeks notice, I can request time off in Portland and ride up there with you.

Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything about this is awesome.
KPeterson
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Also, at the UW location, check the glass case (if you haven't) to the right of the RPG books. Sometimes they've got good high-ticket items there. I found a few 1E adventure modules once or twice for around $10-20, in great shape.

I'll make a point of that, next visit. I haven't spent much time looking at their glass case in the past, because they usually stash their most expensive 'collector's items' in there. Too high-ticket for my frugal ways.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Count me in as yet another that occasionally buys some SW D6 stuff at the University location. I don't get there that often, but have stopped by at least twice this year so far. I've actually picked up the occasional D20 sourcebook there as well.

I'm closer to the Lynnwood HPB and probably visit it more often.

I think a once a year SW D6 day would be an awesome thing. My guess is that we'd get so many players that we would probably need to do a couple of games.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GG6 Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

Sorry to interrupt the flow of your Seattle get-together discussion. (That would be so awesome for you guys to meet-up!) I don't mind at all, but just let me know if you want to split this thread.

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters 2E does have some material accidentally cropped from one of the chapters, but I'd still recommend the 2E version (the missing material is available online).

What was missing? I bought both editions of Tramp Freighters because 1E had some rules I liked, but I never caught that there was missing material.

From memory, the Drop-Point Delivery, Speculative Trading, Black Market and Loan Shark rules are virtually the same in both editions. In the Speculative Trading chapter of GG6 2e p. 17, Under Finding a Customer/Seller, the third sentence refers to the "Buying/Selling Difficulty Chart" in the Charts and Tables section, but there is no such chart in that section. On the next page under Customizing the Tables, the third sentence refers to the "Base Cost and Weight Chart" and again to the "Buying/Selling Difficulty Chart" but neither of these charts are anywhere to be found in the 2e book. At least these two charts are missing from 2e, if not more material. I remember reading this was due to a layout error.

I got rid of 1e back in the 90s after getting 2e, but I have a word document called Speculative Trading that appears to be most if not all of the 1e Speculative Trading chapter, with all the charts. I must have gotten this years ago somewhere on the internet but I do not recall from where. (Several Google searches to find more about this only yielded previous discussions about it here at the Pit.) Unless this document's text was edited down, 2e added and expanded the Speculative Trading system's supporting/explanatory text, so I still recommend getting 2e over 1e.

CR, since you have both editions, perhaps you could comb through the Speculative Trading chapters (or the whole books) and add more to this discussion than what I was able to.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: GG6 Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sorry to interrupt the flow of your Seattle get-together discussion. (That would be so awesome for you guys to meet-up!) I don't mind at all, but just let me know if you want to split this thread.

Yeah, we've kind of co-opted this thread, which isn't fair. I'll start up a thread on a potential get-together.

And while it might take place in Seattle (being as we do have quite a few players in this area), that wouldn't preclude any of the rest of you from attending. Wouldn't that be cool to have a Rancor Pit get-together? 8)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: GG6 Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CR, since you have both editions, perhaps you could comb through the Speculative Trading chapters (or the whole books) and add more to this discussion than what I was able to.

Okay, I found both of the charts you referred to in the back of the 1E book, and they aren't present in the 2E book, as you said. I don't have the time to transfer them over at the moment, but I can find the time in a couple days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: