The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's talk Star Destroyers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Let's talk Star Destroyers! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permission to join (or rejoin) a conversation is not required at the Rancor Pit. Welcome back.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
It's been a LOOOOOOONG time since I've been able to engage on this glorious project!

Welcome back.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I certainly don't think it's at all required to ask permission, I'm doing it simply as a matter of courtesy. There's a TON of work put into this project, a lot of moving pieces, and having been gone so long I want to jump back in in the least disruptive way possible. Trying not to be a dick, as it were Very Happy I was, after all, gone like 6 months.

All the work I'm seeing done seems focused in the lower, primary engine block/hangar bay hull. Perhaps I shall continue developing the command deck?

I've made some progress with the upper levels, but I've reached a point where I'll need more information from the forums to solve some logistical issues and I don't want to do anything unilaterally.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
All the work I'm seeing done seems focused in the lower, primary engine block/hangar bay hull. Perhaps I shall continue developing the command deck?
Yes, I've been working on the hangar area.

I'm still trying to work out where AT-ATs and the shuttles, support craft, and barges get stored. I'm currently thinking that they get stored at the level immediately above the ceiling of the main hangar. Part of doing that is figuring out what ships are all included in this. Given the size of the barges, the question of how many barges there are is an important one. Also, Crmcneill (I believe) is working on a medium-size barge that can hold 4 AT-ATs.

Mojomoe wrote:
I've made some progress with the upper levels, but I've reached a point where I'll need more information from the forums to solve some logistical issues and I don't want to do anything unilaterally.
Can you show us what you have at this point?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Crmcneill (I believe) is working on a medium-size barge that can hold 4 AT-ATs.

Beyond theorizing that they exist and are separate from the Theta-Class, I haven't done much. Artwork isn't really my area of specialty. I mostly picture a longer, wider Theta.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Crmcneill (I believe) is working on a medium-size barge that can hold 4 AT-ATs.

Beyond theorizing that they exist and are separate from the Theta-Class, I haven't done much. Artwork isn't really my area of specialty. I mostly picture and longer, wider Theta.
Sure, but drawing a sketch in Paint shouldn't be too hard. I can clean matters up, once you've given me the idea and the dimensions.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to update you on where I'm currently at:

The following image shows what I've got for Deck 6. My brain's getting pretty sleepy so I can elaborate in the morning, at least on some of the specific questions I've got. But I wanted to get something on screen to talk about.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22297088/Deck6_bw.gif

This jpg is a rough sketch of where I could see the layout for Deck 6 going - cutting down the primary command/bridge center hallway and splitting it just abaft of the radiation-shielded section housing the power generators and the shield generator. The blue circles represent turbolift hubs - the forward ones, at least, are illustrated in the Executor bridge module cutaway, so I know those work. The other ones I can infer from things like the Technical Journal cutaway. The red circle and box is conjecture, but I was thinking primary structural, power, and computer core components running up the entire neck. Everything else is rough placement on a grid of 3x3x3m hallways, with every 3rd x and y hallway being a larger 5m arterial (same thing we had blocked in months ago if I recall).

Given what I've been thinking about what needs to be in the command sector, and catching up on everything we've discussed so far (24 pages worth!), I was thinking of the aft end of the 'wings' (lateral with the red dot, aft of that last 3m hallway) being devoted to maintenance, repair, bulk material, and waste extraction - that way, they can just jettison whatever they don't like out the aft hull if needed.

Now I'm remembering - I had started to stub in barracks - the row of beds outboard and abaft of the rad-shielded section - before I reviewed the material that pointed towards only high-ranking officers and VIPs being actually quartered in the command section, which was what I wanted to get feedback on.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome! You've really plotted some things out very faithfully. I'm psyched to have you back.

I think you're right that there would be mess halls at the bridge deck (deck 6), as that was derived from the cross-section of the Executor. Are those areas just inside of the mess halls the galleys, or do you figure they're the buffet area, where the officers can serve themselves? (This is perhaps excess detail.) I figure that the very senior crew would have a separate dining arrangement. Possibly on another deck?

Regarding the barrack halls, I think that you're right that those might not be on deck 6, but possibly elsewhere, though I could see there being quarters for stand-by personnel, but we should think that through. I do think there ought to be a medical bay at level 6. Not only would that be (relatively) centrally located in the tower, but it would also be nearer at hand for more senior personnel.

In a game I'm running (and I think I might have derived it from our earlier discussions) there's a throne room in the very forward peak of the command tower (Deck 0?). You also point to it in your image of the command-tower decks at the bottom of page 5. I could see the executive suites and senior staterooms being located on decks 1 and 2, right below the throne room deck. Deck 2 would also have those auxiliary bridges that we talked about (though I forget what conclusion we came to).

I'm still inclined to call those six forward-facing ports on decks 4&5, which you pointed to as possible escape pods and fuel ports as being turbolaser ports. I also notice them on the Executor cross-section, but they're (proportionally) much smaller than on the Avenger model. Is that a scale difference, or are they (whatever they are) just smaller on the Executor?

crmcneill wrote:
No problem. I may have mixed up some of the details in my initial post, but the effect remains the same. IIRC, once Thrawn realized that Luke and Mara were on board, he ordered the Falcon moved back down to the hangar bays as bait, and when Luke and Mara found it, the elevator it was on was moving downward. They managed to steal it before the ambush team could set up their trap.

Do you recall if there was mention of physical lift platforms, or was the Falcon being moved internally with tractor beams or repulsor technology? I seem to remember platforms. If so, I'm going to have to figure that out.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be back in business!

Let me be sure to cover your points:

Mess halls, port and starboard - Yeah, those are mess halls as illustrated in the Executor bridge module cutaway. Outboard sections have seating and tables, inboard sections have what I could interpret as either a buffet or automated service system (droids), with two pantries that could potentially be used for vertical intraship/dumbwaiters, or simply storage or recycling. I don't think it's excessive detail at all! That's the level of detail I'm hoping for. If we have a mess hall on each floor, it could naturally be segregated by officer rank, keeping the different ranks apart. This would necessitate, as you mention, a special one for VIP/admiralty/captain's mess.

Barracks - Everything I'm seeing so far, from real world to in-universe, agrees with what you said - junior and enlisted barracks are situated in the lower sections of the superstructure, forward of the bridge module, and vertically by rank (higher ranks are bunked higher in the ship). The only barracks we'd need int eh command module are high-ranking officers that would afford 'prestige quarters.' Indeed, the Executor cutaway shows Admirals' suites several floors directly above the bridge, with their own dedicated escape pods. I think this makes sense - no barracks below the bridge deck (Deck 6), and only high ranking officers above, in increasing rank - Lts, Commanders, Captains, Admirals, VIP, and finally the Throne Room on Deck 1. I think this is really smart.

Auxiliary Bridges
- I think this is a good call, and putting it above the bridge in the command module is good. We should also potentially include a tertiary bridge somewhere in the superstructure below the bridge as well, down where the junior officers are barracked.

The 6 forward ports - I could go either way, honestly. There's nothing saying there's armament in the command module, so it's a potentially non-canon addition. I also know there's plenty of mention (though I forget where) of mass exodus escape pod sections, I'll see if I can track those references down. Not specifically in reference to these doors, just that they exist SOMEWHERE in the command section.

One thing I DID want to mention - I've finally come to start watching the Clone Wars series - and thei show plenty of the inside of the Venator-class! It's very, very good reference. For one, they show the hallways and the engine room, and they also show that there are the afore-mentioned mass-exit escape pod sections where Ahsoka chases Ventress into an escape pod which is in a line of multiple others, right off of a main hallway.

I've also been bashing my head against this one, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on this - how to grid off the ship and call meaningful sections. I tried about half a dozen different sectioning methods, but I've got one I like reasonably well:

What we have here is an alphabetical sectioning, running inboard to outboard, and a numeric sectioning running from the front of the deck to the back, and differentiated by port or starboard. Sections that run the center of the deck without being split port/starboard (a center-aligned med bay, for example) would simply not use the port/starboard designation. Some examples here:

The Bridge is Deck 6, Section A1.
The computer core occupies Deck 6, Section A6-A7.
The mess halls are Deck 6, Section D2 Port and Deck 6 Section D2 Starboard, and so on.

Does this make sense as a basic sectioning logic?
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Mess halls, port and starboard - Yeah, those are mess halls as illustrated in the Executor bridge module cutaway. Outboard sections have seating and tables, inboard sections have what I could interpret as either a buffet or automated service system (droids), with two pantries that could potentially be used for vertical intraship/dumbwaiters, or simply storage or recycling. I don't think it's excessive detail at all! That's the level of detail I'm hoping for. If we have a mess hall on each floor, it could naturally be segregated by officer rank, keeping the different ranks apart. This would necessitate, as you mention, a special one for VIP/admiralty/captain's mess.

Okay, since we're going all-out in terms of detail, it seems to me like we should hold off on the idea of mess halls on every deck. I think our best course of action right now is to flesh out the command deck and then figure out how many personnel would operate on a given deck (with the command deck being our given deck at this point). I can't imagine that a whole crew of a Star Destroyer would collectively have a lunch break, so they're going to do lunches on rotations. That way only a few members of any given shift at any given department are relieved by their counterparts from another shift. At least, that's the way I think it would work.

Did we ever finalize how many shifts a Star Destroyer operates? I made the case for 18-hour days like a RW US navy submarine, but I think that notion was argued down.

Mojomoe wrote:
Barracks ... and finally the Throne Room on Deck 1.
Oh...right, the Throne Room is 2 decks high. So, it would be on Deck 1, with a raised platform (one deck's worth higher) for the throne proper. That should actually be an easy deck to sketch out. The throne room, and then a hall to the turbolift. Maybe small and dedicated royal guard quarters along the hallway.

Mojomoe wrote:
Auxiliary Bridges - I think this is a good call, and putting it above the bridge in the command module is good. We should also potentially include a tertiary bridge somewhere in the superstructure below the bridge as well, down where the junior officers are barracked.
Sure - but do these auxiliary bridges have functions that are beyond backup for the main bridge? We discussed it before. I'm wondering if your thinking has evolved on the matter. I still see them as having a different function.

Mojomoe wrote:
The 6 forward ports - I could go either way, honestly. There's nothing saying there's armament in the command module, so it's a potentially non-canon addition. I also know there's plenty of mention (though I forget where) of mass exodus escape pod sections, I'll see if I can track those references down. Not specifically in reference to these doors, just that they exist SOMEWHERE in the command section.
Okay. I'm just figuring that those turbolasers have to go somewhere around the ship. The original model seems to use a lot of those oblong ports with rounded sides, which - I believe - they took from the hangar apertures of the plastic models of aircraft carriers. I think we also discussed this a while ago.

Mojomoe wrote:
One thing I DID want to mention - I've finally come to start watching the Clone Wars series - and thei show plenty of the inside of the Venator-class! It's very, very good reference. For one, they show the hallways and the engine room, and they also show that there are the afore-mentioned mass-exit escape pod sections where Ahsoka chases Ventress into an escape pod which is in a line of multiple others, right off of a main hallway.
Cool. I've seen that show on occasion, but I wasn't watching it much for research purposes.

Mojomoe wrote:
I've also been bashing my head against this one, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on this - how to grid off the ship and call meaningful sections. I tried about half a dozen different sectioning methods, but I've got one I like reasonably well:

Does this make sense as a basic sectioning logic?

Yes, it makes perfect sense, especially if it's for just us communicating to one another where we're talking about. Speaking of which, what are those stations in C2, forward of the turbolifts?

Also, since we're on the subject of fleshing out detail. In the course of two other threads (Capital Ship Roles in Naval Tactics, and Imperial Sector Fleet), we've been talking about fleets. Given the size and relative rarity of the ISD (roughly 1 in 100 ships in a sector group, per the ImpSB, pg. 103 inset), it should be seen as given that one of the main functions of a Star Destroyer is as a fleet/squadron HQ. As such, probably a lot of space is taken up for administrative purposes - bean counters and bureaucrats; the people who figure out the logistics of movements and supplies, human resources (promotions, institutional discipline, morale, executions, etc.). I think there's a "rule of 150" that's applied to human resources, that for every 150 people you should have one full-time human resource staffer. We can calculate what that might mean for just the Star Destroyer, but we could also figure out how many that should be for a naval squadron.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mess halls - Agreed on these not needing to be on each deck. I'll admit that even though I'm using the Executor cutaway, I goofed in assuming the mess hall was on Deck 6 - the illustration clearly shows it on Deck 12. That doesn't mean is ISN'T on all decks, just that we ONLY know it's on Deck 12, and cannot presume it's on Deck 6 as well. I bow to your suggestion here!

Shifts - I found the pertinent information on or about page 7-9, I can't recall. It's here:

Quote:
I was referring to the watch rotation system. I read that a submarine has an 18-hour day and people rotate between 6 hours on, 6 hours off, and 6 hours of sleep. Someone has to be in command of the watch at all times - who's in command when the CO and XO are asleep or away?

Officer of the deck, chief of the boat (subs). All commands have them. In port they also have a Command duty officer to.
Normally your work day is split into 3 shifts (8 on 16 off, 12 on 12 off) or for engineers, 6 on six off back to back through the day.
Each 'duty section' has its own OODs (usually senior enlisted or junior officers) with the in port CDO being a senior officer from one of the other departments (at sea, OODs are always from the Deck department).

Since I have little to no military or naval knowledge from real world sources, I'll buy in to whatever you guys think. Three shifts or four? Once we decide we can calculate number of on- and off-duty personnel. It also seems to me we've covered this at some point, but I can't find the information. We know the total number of officers aboard - can we infer the rank distributions? Ie, if we have x people, we have y lieutenants, z commanders, etc.

Throne room on Deck 1 - Agreed on all points. Two decks tall, as well as cabins for royal guards, makes sense. He should also have his own private holotransmitter, I'd think. Could this also be considered an admiral's VIP suite, or something separate?

Aux bridges - I'm fine with whatever function we decide on. My thinking was never terribly clear on this one, so let's go with what you're thinking on multiple functions - could you refresh my memory Smile?

6 ports / turbolasers - I keep forgetting we need to account for plenty of armament, and that it has to go somewhere. Good point. We need them coming from someplace, so identifying a common feature that could be "weapon emplacement" is smart. What are our other contenders?

Clone Wars / Venator reference - I'll see if I can find the relevant screen caps.

Ship sectioning - glad you like! The only problem with this, and the bridge being Section A1, is that it counts up from the FRONT of the deck. Since Decks 5 and 7 have no bridge, they count from 1 further aft - what you have is Deck 5, Section A1 being directly above Deck 6, Section A2, which is above Deck 7, Section A1. If that makes sense. The alternative is that either a), the bridge is Deck 6, Section A0, or b) we count the front of each MODULE - meaning, the entire bridge section (whichever sections share a geometric front) counts the same (from A1), but all the decks besides Deck 6 start at Section A2 - they have no Section A1.

To answer your question, the rooms in C2 are nonsense rooms, filling out what could have been indestinct closet spaces in the cutaway and are placeholders. Turbolift equipment repair? Deck security post? Atmospheric control?
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mess halls - Let's figure out how many mess halls might be needed.

Shifts - I'm somewhat partial to 3x8hrs. It takes less explaining (given that it's relatively familiar to RL), it gives people 8 hours of sleep, and means you need bunks for 1/3 of the crew.

Throne room on Deck 1
Mojomoe wrote:
He should also have his own private holotransmitter, I'd think.
Yes.
Mojomoe wrote:
Could this also be considered an admiral's VIP suite, or something separate?
I'm partial to the idea that it's a place where no-one - even the captain - was allowed to go unless it was the Emperor, though nobody would dare stop Vader. There would be (in my imagination - IMI) stormtroopers stationed in the hallway there to enforce the ban. It would be a very boring post. Of course, this regime would change post-Endor.

I imagine that in the upper suites of the command tower, we can find space for executive rooms for admirals and the like.

Aux bridges
My thinking has evolved.

I had been thinking about Starfighter Command one and Shuttles command in the other. I'm backing off on Shuttles command being it's own.

The idea is that they house strategic-level decision-making for Starfighters and Ground Operations (instead of Shuttles). This is a little different than the levels of war/analysis that we're mentioning in the Naval Tactics threads. Basically, these are where senior commanders determine objectives, which are then relayed down to the Flight Control Deck (FDC) to figure out how to achieve. The FDC, in turn comms out to the starfighters/shuttles. Because Shuttles essentially serve the logistic needs of the ground operations, they don't need a strategic level of their own, but they probably dominate the FDC.

Please critique - I'm typing 'stream-of-consciousness' stuff here. Wink

6 ports / turbolasers
Mojomoe wrote:
What are our other contenders?

Erm.. other than the big Ion cannons, which we talked about, I've not really come up with anything else. I guess the question is if what I have pictured on page 11, is a turbolaser cannon.

It looks similar to this:

a "XI7 Medium Single Turbolaser Battery", according to the source, which seems to be fanon.

At any rate, given what continues to seem to me to be the discrepancy between the WEB statline and what we see on the model, still think we need to re-think the ISD-II's armament.

Ship sectioning
How about we call the Bridge 6A0, and the rest of the command tower doesn't have 0, but starts all counts at 1. Maybe we have suffixes -s and -p for starboard and port.

Mojomoe wrote:
To answer your question, the rooms in C2 are nonsense rooms, filling out what could have been indestinct closet spaces in the cutaway and are placeholders. Turbolift equipment repair? Deck security post? Atmospheric control?
Aha! TBD rooms. Smile We've got a LOT of those. I do think that Turbolift equipment repair would probably be in the depths of the command tower, rather than at precious Deck 6. Of course, you're copying Deck 12, so it's understandable. At any rate, I'm sure we can think of something.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start with Shifts here, and we'll get to the other points in a moment, since this is a big issue!

So, we had already covered some of this ground before, and I'm still getting caught up on the specifics because it was left slightly open, but it's on page 14. The key point is that there are confirmed:

37,085 crew and 9,700 stormtroopers aboard an ISD-II. Of the crew, 9,235 are officers, 27,850 are enlisted. Of the enlisted, 274 are gunners. That leaves 27,576 enlisted who are not gunners.

Sorry, let me clarify:

ISD-II
TOTAL 46,785
Officers 9,235
Enlisted 27,576
Enlisted Gunners 274
Stormtroopers 9,700

By 3x8hrs I'm seeing three 8 hour shifts. Doesn't that mean that 2/3 of the crew are off-duty, and could potentially be in their bunks? As in, what if everyone not on duty is sleepy?

If these numbers are agreed-upon, we'd need to figure out ratios. Security, Engineering, Operations, etc. From that, we could then figure out rank ratios of the officers.

I feel sheepish asking, but the pilots come from the ranks of the enlisted, yes?
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
By 3x8hrs I'm seeing three 8 hour shifts. Doesn't that mean that 2/3 of the crew are off-duty, and could potentially be in their bunks? As in, what if everyone not on duty is sleepy?
I think it's 8 hours on, 8 hours off, 8 hours sleeping. So, 1/3 would be on duty, 1/3 would be sleeping, and the final 1/3 would be engaging in some form of recreation away from their bunks.

That's how (I understand) it works in the RW Navy aboard submarines. Of course, there is probably a lot more space for people on an ISD than on a cramped submarine, where one bunk per 3 people is a function of a lack of space.

Mojomoe wrote:
If these numbers are agreed-upon, we'd need to figure out ratios. Security, Engineering, Operations, etc. From that, we could then figure out rank ratios of the officers.

I agree with the numbers, though we should treat them as ballparks - especially the 5,000 which are minimally necessary to operate the craft.

Instead of parceling them out (which would be easier), I do think we should return to your grand list of functions. I could return to mine, which was similar but different. Maybe we should update our lists with what we now think after a couple of months of having this stuff on the mental backburner, and then compare notes - maybe have Crmcneill and Lurker look at the lists too. I've got mine in a spreadsheet, which I can email out once I've redone it.

Mojomoe wrote:
I feel sheepish asking, but the pilots come from the ranks of the enlisted, yes?
I'm pretty sure pilots are officers. Can someone boot up their old copy of the TIE-Fighter video game and find out what rank you start off as? Very Happy
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting to your other points, but a quick search turns out that the pilot's name in TIE Fighter was Maarek Stele, and this is his bio:

Quote:
Maarek Stele was a pilot in the Imperial Navy and one of the Emperor's Hands. A native of Kuan, he enlisted in the Imperial Navy after the Galactic Empire rescued him from Bordali agents near the end of the Taroonian Civil War.

If we can take that as gospel, our pilots will come from our enlisted pool, rather than our officers.

Agreed on the job functions - I will update the list and sort it into a spreadsheet as well then we can compare notes. I'd love to see how you've sorted yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 24 of 38

Jump to: