The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Blaster power packs - universal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Blaster power packs - universal? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant remember where I read it at but IIRC there are several different types of gas used in blasters, and that you can change the damage rating of a blaster by changing the type of gas it used. I think they also mentioned that Imperial military weapons used Tibanna gas and that civillian blasters like sporting models used something else.

I think it also mentioned that by converting something like the DL44 to use Tibanna gas it raised the damage rating by 2 pips but there was also a random chance ot the blaster going kablooey cause it wasn't designed to handle the military grade stuff.

sort of like using modern shotgun loads in an antique Damascus barreled black powder shotgun.

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds really cool, risking the integrity of the weapon to squeeze out a little more damage. I might have to try that!

In response to the credit question, here's a shot of the bills I made, along with some plastic chits for 1 and 5 Credits just to mix it up. I initially got inspired by seeing the Monopoly money, but I wanted something a little more "Euro"-like, something a little more legit. Voila!

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. How much it cost you to make those props?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm a concept artist, so the designs were free Very Happy. I also have a color laser printer, so the bills themselves, also free. The plastic chits were the only thing I paid for, they're from Litko. They have a ton of awesome play pieces available, spent around $20 for a good handful:

http://www.litko.net/products/1-Credit-Tokens-%2810%29.html 1 Credit tokens
http://www.litko.net/products/5-Credit-Tokens-%2810%29.html 5 Credit tokens

But if I had to print the bills at say, Kinkos or FedEx, I did doublesided (they all have back designs as well ), 5 bills per page x 20 bills per denomination x 6 denominations (1/5/10/50/100/500) x 2-sided prints x $1.50 per print is...

Jesus, about $72. Wow.

If anyone's interested, I would suggest a few things instead, either fitting more bills per page (making them smaller, mine are dollar-sized), finding a cheaper printer, making them single sided (no backs), or making them black and white. All of these would reduce cost SIGNIFICANTLY.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also-

Bad form to point out that you have to "spend money to make money?"

...no?

I'll show myself out...
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
I should probably clarify my motivation as well Very Happy !

I plan on giving my players a taste of some high-powered weaponry (of a variety of types), but I don't want them going to the nearest weapon shop and stocking up on universal power packs for endless blasting. At least if I can say, "sorry, we only carry DL- series packs, this is high-end military stuff" I can control where and when they use the stuff I give them, while providing a good in-universe reason for tactically-minded players.

You could say that weapons are generally universal; but in such a large galaxy (or universe, if other galaxies come into play!) there are bound to be exceptions. Also, some weapons (such as holdout blasters) do already have unique ammo.

Your high-powered weaponry might be contraband (not that the Rebellion cares too much, weapons are weapons after all) from some remote world or exgal star hegemony, and they never had a reason to use the Republic / Empire standard packs. It's rather advanced stuff, but the only ammo available is the ammo that's been stolen. (And the Alliance gearheads have already lost a fair chunk of the weapons trying to use standard blaster gases with them...)

So the players get powerful weapons, but can't get more ammo unless they can track down the weapons' source... and even as they look like thieves in the locals' eyes, try to get the locals to join "those petty squabbles over in Republic space." Cue adventure hook or more!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea.. One way to keep the "rebels" being down and on their heels.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your currency is really awesome looking, Mojomoe!!! 8)
Jason Scanlon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Han Solo at Star's End, Han repeatedly charges blasters by somehow connecting their power packs. In Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Luke actually does this with his lightsaber, but I don't know if I would use that one in a game.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rule that power packs are standardized throughout the "civilized" galaxy, just like USB, but when you get to the fringes or start getting into more exotic weapons, power packs become more proprietary. So, can you take a power pack from a Stormtrooper 1 and pop it into a Blastech E-11? Sure. Just like you can take a STANAG mag out of an M16 and pop it right into a G36.

But, can you take a power pack from a DL44 and jack it into the gauss rifle you just picked up on the backwater port of Laden out in Wildspace? Only if you have half an hour and a suitable engineering skill.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: