The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion - Scavenger's Guide to Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion - Scavenger's Guide to Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's downright impossible to have consistency with other droids. WEG didn't do it within its own line. Wizards didn't do it within their. Crossing the two... well.... We tried out best to keep it somewhat balanced...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
It's downright impossible to have consistency with other droids. WEG didn't do it within its own line. Wizards didn't do it within their. Crossing the two... well.... We tried out best to keep it somewhat balanced...

Yeah, I figured as much... Consistency is hard to find regarding most 'hardware' but also NPC skill levels..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... Lucas didn't strive for any consistency between new and old. I'm really not sure what it would take to try to even everything out.

I'll tell you what I did. I went with a general conversion, each stat block having their own tweaks from a "straight" conversion. There are no direct numerical conversions with NPCs, to do so would wind up with horribly weird stat blocks. So, I took the general strengths of the droids, toned down attributes that had few to no skills under them, and filled in additional logical skills. After that, I tried to smooth things out while comparing them to similar droids in both D6 and d20 stat blocks to make sure I didn't re-create something that already exists. Though there was some comparison, I can't say that I went to a whole lot of trouble to redesign the entire concept if it didn't 100% fit with what I thought with what was merited in the era. I just made sure that the droid models weren't horribly overpowering or underpowering anything in their class (paying more attention to D6 than d20 stat blocks). However, you've got to understand, many of these droids have no representation in D6. You can't make an assasin Droideka consistent with a WEG heavy-duty clone-wars era droid.

Was there some attempt at keeping things from being unbalanced? Yeah. Was I going to spend more time on trying to keep everything more evenly consistent than Lucas, WEG, or WotC? No, not really.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your efforts to be even somewhat consistent with a mass of work that is so inherently inconsistent with itself is very commendable. For that reason I deem the conversion work that chesire and Gry Sarth to be far superior to all official statting as a whole. I enjoy statting out alien species myself (even re-statting the original WEG stats), but for the rest of the universe I mostly use what you guys give us. Thank you both again!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm glad that book's done.

I'll say that the Scavenger's Guide was really hard for me to push through. I'm guessing the same was true with you Gry. For me it was a combination of real life stuff really slamming into me, a group of stats that was really hard to get excited about, and the tedium of trying to plow through droid conversions, which are almost as hard as doing NPC conversions. Also, trying to make sure I was in the same class as some of the conversions we've already done made it really hard. For example, the number crunch on a Saga droideka is much less powerful than the RCR droideka. So, I had to make the Mark II more powerful than it's direct conversion to remain even somewhat consistent.

What would you say your challenges were, Gry?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was about the hardest book to convert. Droids are pretty much as bad as NPCs, it's basically the same thing. And it's a pain. For me I had the added strain of keeping my database in order. So for each new entry I would go over Cheshire's conversion. Look at the Saga stats, see if I agreed with what he did. Cross-reference with some established D6 stats, consult other D6 or d20 books. On the process of comparing an item with other droids I would often rework some past conversions to better adjust everything. This would lead me to consult other D6 and d20 books on this related items, to see what was originally written. Then I had to find where to put this new item inside my database (already organizing the next edition of the Stats books). Insert the new item in my catalogue, look for the best image I can find, edit it in Photoshop as necessary, catalogue the image, place it in the appropriate folder, edit it into the conversion document.

And then move on to the next entry.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well al your work is very aprecieated.... Thank I both, overs a virtual beer to you both. Very Happy 8)
Madwand
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to some of these stats? The combat droids are ridiculously expensive for their capabilities. In your original draft, the V2 Commando droid was one of the few models that was actually worth it, now it's useless. I'm finding it cheaper just to upgrade normal droids. i have yet to find a droid here that's worth it compared to existing models.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Similar problems with this one and the Annihilator Droid. Tell me what you think if something needs to be changed:

Quote:

Droideka Mark II
Type: Colicoid Creation Nest/Zann Consortium Droid Works Droideka Mark II
Dexterity 3D+2
Blaster: heavy repeating blaster 9D+2
Knowledge 1D
Mechanical 1D+1
Perception 1D
Search 5D+2
Strength 4D
Brawling 8D
Technical 1D
Equipped With:
-Two mounted heavy repeating blasters (8D damage, range:
3-75/200/500)
-Two mounted repeating ion rifles (8D damage, range:
3-25/60/250)
-Body armor (+1D to Strength to resist damage)
-Defensive shields (+3D to Strength to resist damage)
-Remote processor (500 Km range)
-2 tool mounts
Move: 4 walking, 25 in “wheel mode”
Size: 1.5 meters tall
Cost: 31,435 credits
Source: Scavenger’s Guide to Droids (page 84)

A careful eye will notice that the strength has been bumped up a bit more than would normally be based on the strength attributes. however, this thing has TWICE the hitpoints of a normal droideka. I thought the increase was merited.

Just wanted to add that I needed quick stats for a Droideka Mark II (for a scene with the Zann Corporation) for tonight's game. I was running late and hadn't bothered to look up anything yet. It was sure nice to be able to plug into Google "d6 Droideka Mark II" and get this page!

Thanks so much for posting this, cheshire! Thought the players weren't foolish enough to engage them (and the Defilers with them), it allowed me to have some quick and easy stats in case I needed them! Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will make your life so much easier is if you just download the whole slew of conversion guides. Gry Sarth, Forceally, and I did quite a lot to make sure we had all relevant stats converted from SAGA to D6. I've even got a couple of other documents that have categorized indexes and tables of contents for all of our books. It will make your life SO much easier than running a bunch of google searches.

Need the link?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet. Thanks, ches!

That's awesome that you have made an index/table of contents, too, which should prove really helpful to find things when they're spread out over numerous books.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, Doug, Doug... how have you dwelt among us for a month and not yet downloaded all of our things, pilfering all of our D6 goodness? Smile

http://www.4shared.com/dir/9688168/f35baae0/sharing.html#dir=-EWtIWRi

Enjoy.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! You guys rock. 8)

And I have downloaded some, but everything I do I have to download twice (one to my home computer and one onto a thumb drive I take with me everywhere), so it can end up being a bit time consuming (so much goodness, and not enough time to even read it all!) Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: