The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get a copy, and it seems very interesting.

Actually it seems really interesting and I am looking forward to testing it out. I listened to a few audios of people playing too, and read a bit of reviews and a lot of the echoes I get is people who like D6 will like this.

Essentially checks work like this. You take the attribute of the skill, and then the skill itself. The higher number becomes how many ability dice you roll and the lower number is how many ability dice you "upgrade" to more powerful dice. (Ability dice are D10s or D8s.. I believe, and the upgrades are D12s)

Though the dice are custom, and they don't have numbers on them just symbols. That generate success, failure, advantage, and threat. They cancel each other out too. Though as long as you have 1 success you accomplish the task.

Yet this is where things get interesting. Say you are trying to hack a terminal and roll and get 1 success, but also 2 threat. As a Gm I can be like okay so you hack the terminal but you also set off the alarm.

Using the same example the player could get no success rolls, and fail the check, but also roll a couple of advantage. So despite failing the Gm can go "You can't hack the terminal, but you realize that this has an auto-alarm for any hack that needs to be rerouted"

Or it could be simply things like it takes you more time or less time to accomplish the task.

All an all, as someone who has a love hate relationship with D6 and really just couldn't get into Sagas, I think this might be the cure for me. Personally.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I want to say "thank you" to everyone who has picked up the new game and is sharing their thoughts, experiences, and pictures with us!

From everything that I am seeing, its looking a LOT like the new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. If thats the case, I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the dice system works. WFR is really easy to learn, and the dice system seems odd at first, but within minutes of starting to use it, it becomes instinctive.

I'll likely be adding the system to my games, but I'm not sure that it will see any/much use with out group. I hope that its easy to translate the materials into D6, but if its anything like WFR, it will be much easier to translate things from D6 to the new system than the other way around, . . .
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds promising. I look forward to everyone's report.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Guardian a lot of people are making that comparison.

Especially on the Fantasy Flight Forums, I have never played so I can'r attest to that.

Before I grabbed the Beta, I listened to this
http://archive.org/details/Order66PodcastEpisode163-EdgeOfTheEmpire

It is a bunch of people playing it(It is a group of adults so there is some, well, adult humor with the players. Just as a pre warning) It seem like once everyone understood everything, it went really fast, was really engaging and was a lot of fun.

I also ordered the Beginner Kit, so once that gets here I am gonna get some friends together and do a run. See how it goes. If anyone has any specific questions just let me know and I will dig through the beta book.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got mine sitting here, and though I don't have the time to go through it in any detail, I can tell you it's really attractive. I love the map of the YT-1300. It's about half the size it needs to be if you wanted it to be compatible with any WotC minis you may or may not have picked up, but probably perfect for the micro-machine minis from so many years ago.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's on purpose... Twisted Evil
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is relative to the X-wing minis they are launching.

Another thing I figured I'd note is initiative in this system is fairly different. I personally like it, but it seems a lot more group orientated then individual orientated.

You all make initiative checks (A cool or vigilance test, which are the skills you use) and then the GM ranks each check from highest to lowest including all NPCs.

Each one of these checks then become either a Player slot, or an NPC slot. Which during your turn you can decide which player can fill the slot if they haven't already gone.

Example:
Player Slot:
Player Slot
Npc Slot:
Player Slot:
Npc Slot:

So Jack, Jim, and Will are all playing. This round Will and Jim are in a good position so they want to be able to go first, and asks to take the first too player slots. Jack decides to let them and takes the later player slot. The Gm wants things to get a little interesting so she decides to have Darth Vader go in the first NPC Slot and then the Stormtroopers in the last.

So initiative would look like this

Player Slot: Will
Player Slot: Jim
NPC Slot: Darth Vader
Player slot: Jack
Npc Slot : Stormtroopers

At least to my understanding that is how it works.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar 'group mechanics' exist in WFB3 as well, which is one of the reasons that game didnt look so appealing to me (of course you could just drop this).
I like personal initiative..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it in the mail yesterday but with my recent influx of out-of-state family and holiday activities, I've only had a chance for cursory view. The box set is the "beginner game" version of the new RPG. I have no experience with the beta so I can't compare this to that, but I suspect it's akin to what the Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game was for the WEG RPG. An ad in the box set says the Rolepaying Game will be released Spring 2013.

Intrinsic abilities/attributes are called Characteristics, and there are six: Agility, Brawn, Cunning, Intellect, Presense and Willpower. Each Characteristic is the default basis for 3-6 skills, and there are 27 skills total. Here is a brief look the game's CHARACTERISTICS and Skills based on the box set's Rulebook p. 5 and 22-25. Italics indicate a counterpart WEG R&E attribute or skill by name.

AGILITY - Dexterity
Coordination - balance and contortion
Gunnery - all range weapons "too large for a person to carry" (turret, vehicle, starship, etc.)
Pilot - operating all vehicles
Ranged (Heavy) - two-handed range weapons
Ranged (Light) - one-handed range weapons
Stealth - Hide and Sneak

BRAWN - Strength
Athletics - Climbing/Jumping and Swimming
Brawl - brawling
Melee - melee combat
Resilience - Stamina

CUNNING - "how crafty, devious, clever, and creative a character can be"
Deceit - most uses of Con, distracting an opponent trough guile
Perception - constant, passive awareness
Skulduggery - "broad ranges" of criminal skills such as picking locks and physically overcoming security systems, picking pockets, sleight of hand, disguise, setting traps, and "sundry other mischievous actions"
Streetwise - Streetwise
Survival - Survival, tracking a subject through wilderness

INTELLECT - "intelligence, education, mental acuity, and ability to reason and rationalize"
Astrogation - Astrogation, plus identifying/locating planets and systems
Computers - Computer Programming/Repair, Droid Programming and Droid Repair
Knowledge - most skills of the Knowledge attribute combined into one general skill (examples describe uses of Alien Species, Business, Cultures, Languages, Scholar and Value),
Mechanics - "identifying the parts and tools necessary for a repair job along with approximate cost", and repairing anything (according to an example bullet point, this includes droids, so Mechanics overlaps with the repair aspect of the Computers skill)
Medicine - First Aid and Medicine

PRESENCE - "moxie, charisma, confidence, and force of personality"
Charm - appeals for special exceptions and assistance without remuneration, and persuasion through "flattery, flirting, and grace"
Cool - ability to stay calm and think while facing danger, also used to resist Charm and Negotiate, and can determine a character's Initiative in circumstances where the character has calmly prepared to take action
Leadership - Command, rallying allies, swaying an assembled crowd to take action
Negotiate - Bargain

WILLPOWER - "discipline, self-control, mental fortitude, and faith"
Coerce - Intimidation
Discipline - "ability to maintain composure and react in an efficient manner", also used to resist Deceipt, Leadership and Coerce (according to a bullet point, a character may need to pass a Discipline check to act normally if pinned down by heavy fire, so this would seem to overlap with the Cool skill)
Vigilance - the combat Initiative skill (except for the circumstance described in the Cool skill)

I didn't notice anything about using Force abilities in the beginner's game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait for the release of the official starter's pack, but from what I've heard so far, I don't think I'll find this version appealing. My preference order to date is d6 > OCRB/RCRB d20 > Saga d20. So far, my impression of this new system places it between d6 and OCRB/RCRB d20.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was really interesting to read through about two years worth of expectations for this arrival.

Personally I'm already really pleased with d6, but I'd be open to checking this one out, say at a Con or something.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd really like to try this game at Origins this year. I hope they have it on the schedule.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in playing a game if they have it set up at PAX East this year, but I don't have particularly high hopes of it being there.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the beginner's set I've gotten my group to play twice and it actually has been a lot of fun.

One thing I can say for sure is combat goes quick, especially once you learn the symbols of the dice. Yet at the same time combat isn't exactly simple, it is more just "realistic" or "makes sense" at least that is the only way I know how to put it.

Essentially there is a lot of general bonuses and setbacks you can give out. Some actions are specific but others are vague. Like for example say if a character really wanted to have a martial arts master. And they studied and learn skills for this, or what have you for a long time. I could grant them a point in Defense for melee combat(Which is permanent). That makes that whenever someone is rolling to hit them in melee combat, they have to add a set back dice to their "pool" of dice. Gives me a lot of ideas to get a good lightsaber style skill set down.

Another example is if a character just wants to jump into cover anyone trying to attack them adds a setback dice. And this is a specific benefit that they also get, sometimes more or less depending on the cover.

The game also speeds things up by working on "pools" of dice. So less rolling is needed because it is all rolled at once. The regular dice are D8s, upgraded dice are D12s along with the force die, and boost die, and set back die are all D6s.

Each D has symbols on it but sometimes they have more then one symbol on a single side. On your ability dice, your normal dice, you may generate 1 Advantage, 1 success, an advantage and a success, or nothing at all.

I also really enjoy the destiny point force die function. Essentially every player rolls the force die and that generates a number of "destiny points" for the group and GM. Though the force die has black dots and white dots, and sometimes it has both depending on what it lands. Black dots make Darkside points which are used by the GM, white dots light which is used by the player.

They can do things like upgrade one of your dice, give you a bonus, and help with the story. Yet whenever you use one, it instantly switches sides. So if a player uses a lightside point it becomes a darkside point and if a GM uses a darkside point it becomes a lightside point.

All and all I don't think I've had this much fun playing a sit down table top game like this in a while. It is easy, fast, and "open" yet for rule heavy people (Like me) there is still so much you can do with that aspect.

Probably the only thing I dislike about it, which we are testing house rules to fix, is character skill doesn't always come into play when you are being attacked in combat.

For example if I were to attack you there is a set difficult I need to beat that has nothing to do with your skill. Though things like cover, and maybe a talent you have could downgrade my dice or add setback dice, the difficult really doesn't have anything to do with you.

For range combat I like it(Realistic it doesn't matter how fast you are when the trigger is pulled the range, skill of the shooter, and environment variables are really the only defense you have), but not for melee combat where some much of that is skill.

Though at the same time with the defense system, which is for ranged and melee can help offset this. Armor grants soak and great armor grants defense. (Though never much haven't seen any armor that granted more then 2 defense) Soak minus from damage taken, every point of defense adds 1 setback dice to someone rolling to attack you.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook at my local comic shop/FLGS today. I went ahead and bought the Game Master's Kit (with screen) too. The two RPG items were $80.00 total retail price, but they applied the same discount I get on everything else in the store just for having them hold 3 comics a month for me. I've only had a chance to briefly flip through them.

BTW, the Core Rulebook is full color and clocks in at about 450 pages and comes with an additional 8-page "Read This First" booklet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: