The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Specialized Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Specialized Force Powers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Maybe several seconds. I prefer easier calculations in play and, if necessary, harder calculations for improvement as opposed to harder calculations in play and easier calculations for improvement.

I prefer specilization rules where raising the main skill impoves the specialty. That is why I went with the method from the Legned Sytem. That said LEngend didn't use pips.

Quote:

I suppose you could add a space on the character sheet to include the total of Skill+Specialty...though I'm not sure I like what it does to the look of the sheet.

Why? Do you add a row for armor?

If I were to simplfy this, I7d go with:

1) Listing the specailty skill seperately, as in D&SW
2) When the main skill is impoved, so is the specialty
3) Specialty skills cost normal, not half.

That would speed things up, and get rid of problem of raising main skills above the specialty rule.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I prefer specilization rules where raising the main skill impoves the specialty.
Even though the point difference is not large, I want the cost for specializations to match the RAW. If I change anything, I'd be more inclined to do the following when a character advances the base skill: refund the cost of the specialization, i.e. apply original cost for superceded die of specialization towards the cost of increasing the base. So a character who had blaster 4D and (s) heavy blaster pistol 6D who increases his blaster to 4D+1 would ordinarily have to spend 4 CPs for the increase. I count the 2 CPs spent to originally increase the specialization towards the increase in the base. So in effect the character only pays 2 CP to increase the base and ends up with blaster 4D+1 (s) heavy blaster pistol 6D.

Quote:
Why? Do you add a row for armor?
Sometimes I will add the total of STR+Armor in parentheses and I nearly always do so for melee weapon damage. However most characters either have no armor or only one set of armor so there is only one calculation involved. If characters have a specialization they usually have multiple specializations so multiple calculations are involved.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I find the notation blaster 4D+1 (s) heavy blaster pistol 1D+2 esthetically displeasing regardless of the ease or difficulty of the arithmetic involved. It's not a debatable point, just a personal taste.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I prefer easier calculations in play and, if necessary, harder calculations for improvement as opposed to harder calculations in play and easier calculations for improvement.

I like that philosophy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I prefer easier calculations in play and, if necessary, harder calculations for improvement as opposed to harder calculations in play and easier calculations for improvement.

Don't you like ponderous slow combat and fast paced improvements!? Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, my vision for this concept is not to add actual "pips" to the dice rolls (even though that's the word I used originally). The idea is to pay a reduced cost to gain a bonus to your control/sense/alter roll each time you roll a specific power. So, a character's Force skills might look like this:

Control: 4D+2
Concentration +3, Control Breathing (+0), Control Pain, Emptiness +4, Hibernation Trance, Remain Conscious +1

Sense: 4D
Beast Languages, Life Detection +2, Life Sense, Danger Sense +3, Combat Sense, Magnify Senses +4

Alter 4D+1
Control Breathing +2, Telekinesis +1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: