The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Dark Side and Accelerated Healing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Dark Side and Accelerated Healing Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to Exar Kun in Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith.

TotJ: DLotS wrote:
What kind of healing can come from the Dark Side of the Force? Exar Kun's fractured bones knit, and strength returns...but nothing is as it was before.

crmcneill wrote:
The only problem I see from a gaming standpoint is that pain and disfigurement aren't much in the way of penalties in an RPG unless they somehow affect the character's stats or playability.
I would say that depends on the maturity of the players. But if your players are of the "I don't care as long as my attack is still the same" then try scarring them such that this quote from The Princess Bride applies to their character:
TPB wrote:
So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish, every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out: "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in [your ears].

I think that has some in-game effect, even if their combat and force skills remain the same.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I think that has some in-game effect, even if their combat and force skills remain the same.

Honestly, it's pretty much a moot point, as the only characters facing real penalties to healing would be Dark NPCs. This is more of a house rule vulnerability for Big Bads, as they can dish out a lot of damage, but they aren't nearly as adept at shrugging it off.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why most of my baddies have access to bacta tanks!
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this thread and wanted to respond, but wasn't sure quite how to phrase what I want to say.

Lets try it though.

I tend to only allow Accelerated Healing and Accelerate Another's healing for those who aren't a Jedi.

If you recall, as it pertains to "Cannon" star wars, in episode 3, Anakin is talking to Palpatine about his dreams and the death of Padme in birth.

Palpatine goes on to talk about a Sith Lord who could stop those he loved from dying (presumably transfer force or an accelerate anothers healing) and he says that one cannot learn that power from a Jedi.

Anyways, as it pertains to healing / healing another / x-fer force, those powers must be learned from someone -not- a Jedi.

Hope I didn't rant or rave too much in there. Still doesn't read right but lets hope someone can make sense of my ramblings. Smile
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
If you recall, as it pertains to "Cannon" star wars, in episode 3, Anakin is talking to Palpatine about his dreams and the death of Padme in birth.

Palpatine goes on to talk about a Sith Lord who could stop those he loved from dying (presumably transfer force or an accelerate anothers healing) and he says that one cannot learn that power from a Jedi.
But I would argue that Palpatine is clearly an untrustworthy narrator. He doesn't always tell the truth and he clearly is using whatever means he can to presuade Anakin to forsake the Jedi and become his apprentice. I don't think we can just trust what Palpy says.

On the other hand, how did Anakin get that scar on his forehead. It would seem that if he had the accelerate healing power he should have done a better job of healing up than he appears to have done. And if it is readily available to the Jedi, how come no one has bothered to teach it to the Chosen One? At least with Luke's scar from the Wampa, he collapsed in the snow (apparently before he would have had time to use Accelerate Healing even if he did have the power) and was only found hours later.

If Star Wars healing, accelerate, medpac, or bacta tank are that inefficient, then most of our PCs would be walking maps of scar tissue. Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he was one of those who was alergic to bacta (to remove the scar) and found using AH to whimpy!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Praxian wrote:

But I would argue that Palpatine is clearly an untrustworthy narrator. He doesn't always tell the truth and he clearly is using whatever means he can to presuade Anakin to forsake the Jedi and become his apprentice. I don't think we can just trust what Palpy says.

On the other hand, how did Anakin get that scar on his forehead. It would seem that if he had the accelerate healing power he should have done a better job of healing up than he appears to have done. And if it is readily available to the Jedi, how come no one has bothered to teach it to the Chosen One? At least with Luke's scar from the Wampa, he collapsed in the snow (apparently before he would have had time to use Accelerate Healing even if he did have the power) and was only found hours later.

If Star Wars healing, accelerate, medpac, or bacta tank are that inefficient, then most of our PCs would be walking maps of scar tissue. Laughing

I agree with your observations of the films regarding scars and also that Palpatine is untrustworthy.

WEG invented several powers that do not appear in the films, like most of the Control powers. I'm not arguing that they are or aren't appropriate powers for Jedi to have access to here, just pointing it out.

However, even though it is not explicit, I have considered whether Palpatine used some sort of Transfer Force to save Anakin's life in RotS. You'll notice that Palpatine goes to Mustafar personally, and when he finds melty-Anakin he sends the clones to get a medical capsule while he bends down to Anakin and puts his hand on Anakin's forehead. Then consider that dialogue from Palpatine about (1) Darth Plageius being able to stop someone from dying, (2) He taught his apprentice things he knew, and (3) the Force is pathway to many abilities that some would consider unnatural. Is it unnatural to use to Force to prevent someone from dying? Not according to WEG, but perhaps Lucas feels that using the Force to save someone (who is mortally wounded) is an unnatural interruption of the life and death process of the universe.

So could the Dark Side Master putting his hand on Anakin's forehead just be expressing some sort of loving affection for Anakin, a comforting hand for friend suffering in extreme pain from his amputations and immolation? I doubt it! 8)

But just throwing the idea out there that "Transfer Force" could be a Sith power. There is no conclusive interpretation from the film itself so it is left open to speculation and individual interpretation. Maybe there could be a Sith version based on using the Dark Side of the Force (the unnatural method) so the Jedi don't know it or use it. Maybe there could still also be a good version that non-Jedi Force-users know and can teach to others.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

On the other hand, how did Anakin get that scar on his forehead
The ladies love carefully placed scars on young Jedi...
Bren wrote:

Two of mine were. One was a bit of a tank, and often allowed himself to be used as mobile cover. Once he even made a full dodge to intercept a flechette rocket's shrapnel that was heading for a defenseless NPC. His back never looked the same after that one...

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So could the Dark Side Master putting his hand on Anakin's forehead just be expressing some sort of loving affection for Anakin, a comforting hand for friend suffering in extreme pain from his amputations and immolation? I doubt it! 8)
Transfer Force or a comforting hand are possible explanations - though I tend to agree that Palpatine is probably not capable of actually being fond of another being, but he is a consumate actor and can simulate affection convincingly enough to at least fool Anakin.

There are of course other explanations for his action: (i) he could be using Control Another's Pain to prevent Vader from lashing out in a way that would interfere with saving him, after all Palps just spent the last 18 years or more planning for Anakin/Vader to be his apprentice and he just lost Dooku, and wiped out the largest source of new candidates by exterminating nearly all the Jedi Order, (ii) he could be continuing his doting uncle act, to continue to mislead his apprentice, in the event Vader survives, or (iii) he could be using a Sith version of Accelerate Another's Healing - perhaps a version that relies on the target's rage or even increases a willing target's rage. Just some other ideas to toss in the mix.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: scars Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Bren wrote:

On the other hand, how did Anakin get that scar on his forehead
The ladies love carefully placed scars on young Jedi...

lol. Of course the out-of-universe reason that Anakin had a scar is because Lucas thought it looked cool and suited the character. The physical scar is representative of the emotional scars the character has.

Lucas was asked how Anakin got the scar, and Lucas answered that he thinks Anakin got it from slipping in the bathtub, but of course he wouldn't tell anyone that!

I think the EU provided reason was that Anakin got it from a battle with that bald Sith wanna-be chick, her name escapes me.

Han Solo got Harrison Ford's chin scar in a knife fight on a boat if I remember the Brian Daley novels correctly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: scars Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Lucas was asked how Anakin got the scar, and Lucas answered that he thinks Anakin got it from slipping in the bathtub, but of course he wouldn't tell anyone that!

Slipped in the bathtub, huh? Doesn't that sound a little suspicious? Be honest, George. Padme beats him, doesn't she? Razz

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: scars Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Slipped in the bathtub, huh? Doesn't that sound a little suspicious? Be honest, George. Padme beats him, doesn't she? Razz
Yeah, we all saw that black dominatrix outfit she wore on Naboo. Shocked
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: scars Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Yeah, we all saw that black dominatrix outfit she wore on Naboo. Shocked

Oh god I wish I had seen that!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

But just throwing the idea out there that "Transfer Force" could be a Sith power. There is no conclusive interpretation from the film itself so it is left open to speculation and individual interpretation. Maybe there could be a Sith version based on using the Dark Side of the Force (the unnatural method) so the Jedi don't know it or use it. Maybe there could still also be a good version that non-Jedi Force-users know and can teach to others.

To me transfer force is neither a sith nor jedi specific power.. both sides can use it.. but it is MORE common to see it used by jedi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: