The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

YT-2400 deckplan (WIP)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> YT-2400 deckplan (WIP)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: YT-2400 deckplan (WIP) Reply with quote

There's been a lot of YT-2400 deckplans drawn, and pretty much all of them have problems for the same reason the Falcon' deckplans did - this ship's size was directly based off the Falcon's incorrect old length, and it undersized the same way. Giving the YT-2400 the same 40% upscale the Falcon finally actually got resolves the design problems, the same way it does for the Falcon.

Very much a work in progress, although mostly complete, and an old one as well.

Plan is drawn to 1 square = 1.5 meters (5 feet).

Legend:

Dashed lines indicate doors

1. Cockpit
2. Escape pod
3. Fresher (crew fresher?)
4. First mate's quarters
5. Captain's quarters
6. Double bunk
7. Single bunk (due to limited headroom)
8. I think this is a medical bed.
9. Passenger quarters
10 & 11.This was intended to use a two level "double ramp"/internal ramp the same way the old site about the Falcon proposed. The "11" compartment doubled as an airlock. Would it be better to use a single ramp, but starting only one square from the corridor? Honestly want to know.
12. Airlock/Docking port.
13. Fresher (passenger fresher?)
14. Second escape pod - most ships it ejects dorsally, but can be designed to eject ventrally, but not both.
15. Access and ladder to gun well(s)
16. Gun well. Dorsal only factory stock, but with a space obviously designed to mount a ventral gun well below it - most captains install a ventral gun well there. (As CEC intended the space to be used - in game terms adding one would be a "If you've got the relevant skill automatic perfect job with no chance of complications or mishaps." Might even assume there's a couple of "free" tons there for installing weapons without reducing cargo space.
17. Engines. Almost all of the space is pressurized and accessible from inside the hull; don't really feel comfortable drawing stuff to fill it in.
18. Aft Hold
19.Cargo lift (to ground level outside)
20. Port hold
21. Starboard hold
22. Common area/lounge etc.

Notes on plan:
A. All corridors are identical to the ones we're all used to on a YT-1300, including size and diameter.
B. Need to draw the hatch here.
C. This room serves the same purpose as the one on the Falcon does - some sort of mechenery/etc, most likely, whatever that is.
D. No idea how to actually draw this; there is a bulkhead roughly at the lower/left 'D'
E. There's a door the compartment 'C' here, but it's hard to see.
F. Other places I considered putting cargo lifts - are any of them better? Honestly want to know.
G. Rhombus as shown, or rectangle as badly erased?
H. This part of the ship isn't habitable.
I. Not Used (to avoid confusion. (The same thing would happen with the letter "O".)
J. This is low-height, non-habitable area around the edge of the ship.
K. Need to re-draw this line here, but compass-drawn lines are really hard to match.
L. This part of this line, on the other hand, needs to be erased.
M. Obviously there's at least a corridor to the escape pod here, as for what's actually here since there's more width then that no idea.
N. No idea what exactly to do with this little nook - storage? Non-habitable?

-----------------------
Obviously the plan is somewhat a work in progress. I do think this pretty much proves that the YT-2400 should get the same 40% upscale as the YT-1300.
Ziz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved this from the old B^2 (B-squared) Robert Brown site back in the day. See how it scales out.

JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
Saved this from the old B^2 (B-squared) Robert Brown site back in the day. See how it scales out.

Well for starters there's no scale listed, unless 20 px to the meter can be assumed. The compartment in the lower left there's nowhere near enough headroom for, the ship should have several more bunks then it does, and (assuming that's the scale) the large open space seems to do an excellent job of hiding that it's still half to a third the size the ship's stats say it should be.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the fault of the guy who drew the plan. I'd say the self-evident fact that the large central area can't be twice the size and still fit makes this plan a good indictment of the official size. It's just that what the ship's stats say it contains simply does not fit within it, no matter how clever you are. Most ships this size owe their official length to at least some degree the length of the Falcon', and at the time these ships we being created that length was massively too small. I'd figure as a rule of thumb, when attempting to do a 'definitive' plan for this size class one should upscale by on average 20% before starting! The Baudo plan is 20% bigger and it's actually the smallest size I considered. CEC 'saucer' craft should get a 40 percent upscale.
Ziz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting aside the math of "X number of pixels per length", the easiest way to scale this would be the pilot seats. It's pretty much assumed that the cockpit would be at least close to the size of the Falcon's, considering the general layout is essentially the same. Figure out how wide the seats should be and scale the whole drawing based on that, then see where the rest of the ship lands.
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I assumed the scale was 20 px to the meter is that the plan uses the distinctive set of pixelart objects that were used for a huge number of plans back in the day (and identical colors) - all scaled at 20px to the meter.

I used your method, and came out at 18.7 pixels to the meter; honestly 20 pixels per meter is well within the margin of error. Assuming the 18.7 px scale, the main compartment becomes 14% bigger; and is still roughly half the size it should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: