The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Specialization question, part 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Specialization question, part 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Specialization question, part 2 Reply with quote

This thread continues from Specialization question (the thread was accidentally split when trying to deal with a spam post in it).

Mamatried wrote:

So most lighrabers that are non standard, have some higher difficulty for the unspecialized, but I WAS specialzed in this, doe it make sense that UNLEARN the twchniques on how to use the weapon ?

Basically ONCE specialized always specialized, no matter if the skill gors over, when it comes ITEM effects , penalties and bonuses

Honestly - it sounds like you had the answer you wanted in mind before you asked the question - and are sticking with it, regardless of input.

Don't get me wrong - I make a lot of posts trying to perhaps validate an idea....anyway....

Honestly, I can see it a base skill surpassing a specilization.

Let me give you a real world example - take a professional - maybe the know a lot about one specific aspect of their craft. This might help them a lot when dealing in that specific.

However, over time - their fundamentals improve - and over time - these fundamentals become more important than the specifics. This is how I could see this specialization being replaced.

Let me give a few real life examples;
Professional - Take a business consultant, who used to specialize in some very specific areas. However, years later overall experience is much more useful and valuable than any specific software product, regulation or business area. Sure, they still know the details - but the ability to work with people, read between the lines, understand problems and communicate - vastly dwarf some of the details.

Creative - Take a stage performer who mabe started in either stand up, or maybe sketch, or some hosting - but then decades later - it is their ability to read a crowd, get a feel for material and manage their stage presence is more useful than a specific joke or improv structure.

Combat - take someone who maybe knows combat of some kind - the ins and out of specific terrain, or weapons etc. However, after years of training and experience - it is less about the specific weapon - and more about understanding how to use cover, sight lines, spotting choke points - or how to feint or analyze an opponents fighting style or that the fact that footwork is one of the most important things in melee - not the specific weapon.

When you are really good - the tool does not matter as much as the person that uses it.

This is when the base skill exceeds the specialization.

But hey - clearly you already have made up your mind....
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

So most lighrabers that are non standard, have some higher difficulty for the unspecialized, but I WAS specialzed in this, doe it make sense that UNLEARN the twchniques on how to use the weapon ?

Basically ONCE specialized always specialized, no matter if the skill gors over, when it comes ITEM effects , penalties and bonuses

Honestly - it sounds like you had the answer you wanted in mind before you asked the question - and are sticking with it, regardless of input.

Don't get me wrong - I make a lot of posts trying to perhaps validate an idea....anyway....

Honestly, I can see it a base skill surpassing a specilization.

Let me give you a real world example - take a professional - maybe the know a lot about one specific aspect of their craft. This might help them a lot when dealing in that specific.

However, over time - their fundamentals improve - and over time - these fundamentals become more important than the specifics. This is how I could see this specialization being replaced.

Let me give a few real life examples;
Professional - Take a business consultant, who used to specialize in some very specific areas. However, years later overall experience is much more useful and valuable than any specific software product, regulation or business area. Sure, they still know the details - but the ability to work with people, read between the lines, understand problems and communicate - vastly dwarf some of the details.

Creative - Take a stage performer who mabe started in either stand up, or maybe sketch, or some hosting - but then decades later - it is their ability to read a crowd, get a feel for material and manage their stage presence is more useful than a specific joke or improv structure.

Combat - take someone who maybe knows combat of some kind - the ins and out of specific terrain, or weapons etc. However, after years of training and experience - it is less about the specific weapon - and more about understanding how to use cover, sight lines, spotting choke points - or how to feint or analyze an opponents fighting style or that the fact that footwork is one of the most important things in melee - not the specific weapon.

When you are really good - the tool does not matter as much as the person that uses it.

This is when the base skill exceeds the specialization.

But hey - clearly you already have made up your mind....

I maybe have not been able to fully expalin what I mean, I am not taking about the skill, be it the specialization being lower than the base skill etc.
it is about the Item used. many items state that when SPECILAIZED cartain traits of the item applies, My issue is that becuse the item trait requires "specialization" when the skill then imporves the Item's traits become Unvailable, this is what do not understand.

Joe attacks with the Specialized Weapon that deals 2D + Strenght when specialized but deals "only" 1D for anyone not specialized.
Once the base skill is equal or higher than the specialization the character is no longer specialized.

This means as the Base Skill Imporves to HIT, the DANAGE is reduced by 1D becuse the Requiremnt of "specialization" to have str +2D vs non specialization( which included the base skill going higher) is damage 1D

Throught the various books there are items and weapons with treaits, bonuses and even enalties for soecialzations vs non specialization.

I can however not see how how I no longer can "access" the tranit becuse I man more skilled?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are that way, because the designers thought no one in their right mind, would build up a specialty, THEN BUILD UP the base skill, to where it overcomes what the specialty is?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get the idea that some items are so complex - that an more intimate knowledge is necessary .

In that case - just keep the specialization on the sheet, but use the general skill value if they use it.

Done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: