The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Raider II Class Corvette, only 1 Crew ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Raider II Class Corvette, only 1 Crew ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Raider II Class Corvette, only 1 Crew ? Reply with quote

Now I have been reading....yes I know almost all the letters...and I have been playing games too, and with Inferno Squad and the ship Corvus being both canon, I wonder what the rules would say to the description of the ship and crew, and what this intales for other ships as well.

Now I have seen the Raider I and II being imo written up very well, and the crew being reaonable and varying from roughly 90 to ruoughly 30 depending on the writeup. I find either and both numbers to be quite fair and reasobable for the size of the vessel.

But then comes the discrepensies with the skelton crew penalties and the set numbers

To quote the Caracteristics of the Corvus, a Raider II corvette that I suspect is heavily modified of course was originally made to be piloted by only 2 people, with the Inferno squad taking turns. To me this also reasobaly intales that most if not all the ships defensive and weapon systems can be cockpit operated.

later upgrades to the ship allowes it to be piloted by only 1 person, again with the above reasoble assumpition of cockpit controlled combat systems.

Now I have searched everywhere to find automatization and slave circutry systems to allow something like 1/100 ot even 1/10 crew reducton, but the max is a very reasobale and one I like 1/3 or 2/3 depending on tier.

And noticing this extreme discrepency made me look at other ships, and writeups and scourse material.

I founf that according the the original WEG death star technical companion
WEH40008
Gives the death star a full crew of less than 300 000 and about 800 000 total crew, including 600 000+combat troops.

totalling 1 million to 1-2 Million which most "faan" write ups have given as crew. in fact the skelton crew of the Death star stats as written in the technical companion is a mere 57 000 and change.

I also wonder if the rules weas ever scoped to deal with things like this, like the small and not in the several thouands, rebels stealing capital ships with skeletong crew numbers in the 10s of thousands, we see on screen even the arquittens calss being operated in canon scourse by two pilots only, and it does not seem to have any effect on performace in flight, and little as to combat.

I doubt the game system was ever designed for a player group of 4 to run a fully operational corvette, even though canon says it is not only possible but done in many cases.

so I am sceptical as to the skeleton crew numbers of the ships, and would maybe reduce these by 1/10 to even 1/100, as I am sure that the rebes did not bring several thousand non combatants to steal ships, they brought small theams that stole them and got away, however with the stats, and a +5 to +20 skeleton crew penalty and a +10 being the norm, I can see how the rolls can be made at all with the "standard rebels operator" writeups, and if we then use the "hero" word, well then the numbers become more mind boggeling as this would leave a ship like a star destroyer actually stolen and as such flown and iperated by less than adozen peple.

How...and is this beoyine the scope of the game?

This all came up when a player grouo came across a repairable raider, they argued that as 4 people they should be allowed to use this with no penalties as they all ahve capital ship piloting skill, this given the canon write ups tha the ships was designed and made to be operated by two people, and later uograded to be operate by only 1 etc etc.....

I would acrually allow most ships including dreadnaughts and the like to at least be flown with very little penaties by as little as one peropns, this becuse we have these examples in canon, but none in the RPG ruel sets.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Corvus_(Raider_II-class)

Quote from site
-The Corvus, as an Imperial Raider II-class corvette, was a 150 meter-long assault starship.

Before it was handed over to Inferno Squad, it had been gutted and installed with state-of-the-art computer systems.

It originally only required two pilots, with the Squad all taking turns at the controls.[ Eventually, however, the ship was able to be piloted by only one person.-
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, almost every single number of anything regarding logistics, crews, ranges, counts, days of supply - whatever - in star wars lore needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Like the size of an asteroid.

Three are incredible inconsistencies in many things in star wars lore - the biggest reason is authors do not always think like gamers - (yes, even some of the gaming authors...) - and certainly don't think about real world ships or logistics etc. Such facts are superfluous to story at times - and often a second thought - except where many times they may have big gaming implications.

I would say, look at a military vessel of similar size in a real world navy, and go with something like that. maybe make a skeleton crew 1/2 or 1/3rd to represent they dont have shifts 24/7 etc.

best of luck in your game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: