The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lifestyles of the Privileged and Aimless
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Lifestyles of the Privileged and Aimless Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just dropped a bunch of Credits on a Bacta Tank and Medical Droid, we are thinking of drooping the rest of out free cash on getting an Armorer Droid and have it Mod a bunch of Sporting Blasters out the Yin-Yang with Damage upgrades and Targeting Scopes.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
A thought on Decorative weapons -
Back in my Fall of the Republic campaign at one point that did not make it to the campaign write up I introduced a pair of thugs that worked for a local crime boss on one of the worlds the players visited. Of course, the players ran afoul of said crime boss and he sent these two enforcers after the players. One of them I described as dressed in very expensive, high fashion attire, and he was sporting a gold-plated blaster (nothing special about its stats, just fancy gold plating and decorative inlay). The player controlling the smuggler fell in love with the gun from what I described and just felt he had to have it. Sometimes small details like this can make a significant impact.

You could also do things like inlay the weapons or grips with other precious jewels or metals.

i started thinking "Golden Gun" as i read CRMcNeill's post above!
Playing Endak, one of my OG Bounty Hunters in SWTOR, i was checking out a blaster i got as a random loot drop, it was gold & had better stats than my customizable blaster so i equipped it & used it for several levels...
http://www.swtor-spy.com/item-single/M44_Blaster_Pistol/19741/
M-44 Blaster Pistol i was blessed...
Want to bring it back in D6...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
You could also do things like inlay the weapons or grips with other precious jewels or metals.

A prominent character of the Hammer's Slammers series is Major Joachim von Steuben, and I immediately thought of him when DB mentioned one character being "camp as a row of tents". von Steuben is handsome to the point of being pretty, very flamboyantly homosexual, his uniforms seem custom tailored to fit him, and he is arguably the deadliest gunman in the setting. His signature weapon is a pistol with gold and purple orchids inlaid into the grip with precious metals.
Quote:
Just as Joachim's uniform was of a synthetic sleeker and less rugged than Hammer's, his sidearm was hunched high on his right hip in a holster cut away to display the artistry of what it gripped. No weapon in the lounge, even that of Captain Ryssler—the Rysslers on whose land Friesland's second starport had been built—matched that of the Newlander for gorgeous detail. The receiver of the standard service pistol, a 1cm powergun whose magazine held ten charged-plastic disks, had been gilded and carven by someone with a penchant for fleshy orchids. The stems and leaves had been filled with niello while the veins remained in a golden tracery. The petals themselves were formed from a breathtakingly purple alloy of uranium and gold. It was hard for anyone who glanced at it to realize that such a work of art was still, beneath its chasing, a lethal weapon.

Nothing particularly special about the function of the pistol, but it is a work of art, as well as the signature weapon of a man who can quickdraw it and kill three opponents in two-fifths of a second.
Quote:
The kitchen door rotates to pass Joachim. His left hand holds a silver tray with a fruit-garnished drink on it. Reflections shimmer from the metal and the condensate on the glass. He smiles.

"You foul beast!" says the officer and his pistol turns toward the aide of its own seeming will. The enlisted men wait, uncertain.

"Me, Colonel Raeder?" Joachim's voice lilts. He is raising the tray and it arcs away from his body in a gentle movement that catches Raeder's eyes for the instant that the Newlander's right hand dips and—a cyan flash from Joachim's pistol links the two men. Raeder's mouth is open but silent. His eyeballs are bulging outward against the pressure of exploding nerve tissue. There is a hole between them and it winks twice more in the flash of Joachim's shots. Two spent cases hang in the air to the Newlander's right; a third is jammed, smeared across his pistol's ejection port. None of the Guardsmen have begun to fall, though a gout of blood pours from the neck of the right-hand man.

It is two-fifths of a second from the moment Joachim reached for his pistol.

You could potentially work in bonuses to appropriate Perception skills (like Persuasion) for characters who pay extra for obviously high quality versions of otherwise mundane equipment, but the catch there would be finding the right balance between quality and utility, as the wrong sort of quality can convey the message "I have more money than sense."

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM is handling Lightfoils a but different to the official rules, they have varying difficulties to build and can not have a Kyber Core.

at "Moderate" you can build a "Basic" Lightfoil, they have a Damage cap of 3D and fizile out on a 1 on the wild dice. they cost 4000-7000 (most around 5000) to build ans sell foe 5000-7000

at "Difficult" you can build a "Normal" Lightfoil, they have a 4D Damage Cap (a 3D blade would be at the bottom of the dificalty rank and a 4D blade a t the top), on a 1 roll on your Wild dice you have to make a Lightsaber Construction roll against a Very Easy to maintain the Blade, each subsequent 1 on the wild dice (including the first roll) rises the difficulty of the Lightsaber Construction roll in later rounds. Build cost 5000-10000, sale price 5000-12000 (normally 7000-12000)

At "Very Difficult" you can build an "Improved" Lightfoil have a 4D damage cap and they don't short out, or you can build an improved Lightfoil with a 2nd harmonizing crystal that gives your Lightfoil added abilities, but you go back ti having to make Lightsaber Construction rolls on the wild dice. build cost 10000 plus the cost of the extra crystal, Sale price 15000+
At Very Difficult you could just go out and find a Kyber Crystal and build your self a Lightsaber

At "Heroic" you can build a "Advanced" Lightfoil, still has a 4D damage cap, but you can add a 2nd harmonizing crystal without worrying about it shorting out. Build Cost 10000 (+), Sale Price selling characters can name their price, buying characters likely can't afford it

Imperials treat Basic and Normal Lightfoils as Restricted items, Improved or better are Illegal, but most Imperials cant tell the difference or mistake them for a Lightsaber and will Harass anyone with a Lightfoil.

Basic or Normal Lightfoil 3-4,R-X
Improved or Advanced Lightfoil 4,X

We also treat Stims a bit differently than the TOR source book
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I always thought lightsaber construction was an Advanced skill..

"Lightsaber Repair" always a normal skill

"Lightsaber Construction" depends on edition

In 1e when they included it it could go either way depending on the writer, but most that did treated it as an (A) skill

2e and R&E normally treated it as a normal skill almost all the time. and seamed to use Construction and Repair interchangeably in the same boo and even same chapter.

"Lightsaber Engineering" was always unclear across all editions but if it was XXX/Engineering it was a normal skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, maybe its been just the groups i've gamed with, but LS repair is NOT the same as LS construction.. The former is a regular Tech skill, the latter is always seen as an advanced skill needing LS repair as its pre-req..
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said it was all over the shop and depended on the Writer (and GM).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
"Lightsaber Repair" always a normal skill

Correct.

Quote:
...As I said it was all over the shop and depended on the Writer (and GM).

Citations, please...

garhkal wrote:
I always thought lightsaber construction was an Advanced skill...

Strange, maybe its been just the groups i've gamed with, but LS repair is NOT the same as LS construction.. The former is a regular Tech skill, the latter is always seen as an advanced skill needing LS repair as its pre-req.

I think you are thinking of various fan rules...

DB 2.0 wrote:
"Lightsaber Construction" depends on edition

In 1e when they included it it could go either way depending on the writer, but most that did treated it as an (A) skill

1e did not ever treat any skills as advanced skills because advanced skills did not exist in any version of 1e. Advanced skills first appeared in Blue Vader (1992).

Also, I could not even confirm the existence of a "Lightsaber Construction" skill in 2e at all. TotJC p. 142 provides 2e RAW rules for lightsaber construction, and it uses the regular lightsaber repair skill. I'm going to have ask for a citation for the lightsaber construction skill, please.

Quote:
2e and R&E normally treated it as a normal skill almost all the time. and seamed to use Construction and Repair interchangeably in the same boo and even same chapter.

Same chapter? Citation, please. If this is true, it should be easy to cite.

Quote:
"Lightsaber Engineering" was always unclear across all editions but if it was XXX/Engineering it was a normal skill.

I'm not even sure what this sentence means. Engineering skills are somewhat addressed in H&S, but they are advanced skills and there is no lightsaber engineering skill. If this is saying there ever was mention of a "Lightsaber Engineering" skill in RAW, citation please.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd very much like to see (A) Engineering redesigned so that it more closely parallels the relationship between (A) Medicine and First Aid. As in, if you want to fix something broken, use the appropriate Repair skill, but if you want to do something more advanced (design and build a new one, cobble one together out of spare parts, or enhance / improve one that already exists), then use the (A) Engineering that attends that Repair skill. There could be some overlap (Example: both First Aid and Medicine can operate Bacta Tanks, but First Aid has a much higher Difficulty).

That way (using the current topic of discussion as an example), if a character wanted to repair their existing lightfoil, they'd use Lightsaber Repair; if they wanted to build a new one out of spare parts, they could use (A) Lightsaber Engineering, or if they don't have it, they can use Lightsaber Repair in its place, just at higher Difficulty ' if they want to modify an existing lightfoil for improved performance or some new feature, they have to use (A) Lightsaber Engineering.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I think you are thinking of various fan rules....

That may well be. BUT if one needs blaster engineering to BUILD a new weapon, or Starship engineering to build a new fighter, etc, and NOT just starfighter or blaster repair, then it stands to reason, one would need lightsaber construction/engineering to BUILD a lightsaber..
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

I think you are thinking of various fan rules....

That may well be. BUT if one needs blaster engineering to BUILD a new weapon, or Starship engineering to build a new fighter, etc, and NOT just starfighter or blaster repair, then it stands to reason, one would need lightsaber construction/engineering to BUILD a lightsaber..

Lightsabers have always been a special case; one does not simply go to a Lightsaber Trade School to learn Lightsaber Construction.
Force-sensitives taken by the Jedi Order are taught Lightsaber Construction, which in the RAW uses the Lightsaber Repair skill. The only instances i am aware of their being a (A) Lightsaber Construction skill is in assorted homebrew rules i have seen, and possibly the d20 system (not sure)...

Light Foils/Lightfoils
Lightfoils are not true Lightsabers as the saber rakes & techs that build them are not force-sensitive. They cannot attune crystals; the metaphysical aspects of Lightsaber Construction elude them. Still uses the Lightsaber Repair skill.

((edit: i was gonna include the Jar-Jar Binks Lightsaber Tongue Yoda meme, but i can't find it, not on my craptop hp nor the internet...))
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wensday night had a Solo game and likely my last one for the year, due to "Seasonal" stuff

Started the game in the last round of a Fencing Tournament, dispute a couple of lucky rolls by my opponent I had him easily beaten (my 7D+1 vs his 6D) in combined laser sword skills, but my Tech skills carried the day, since I had the last working Lightfoil.

after the match the Master of the Dueling Society approached me, telling the event was supposedly just for barging rights and any wagering you would choose, but in truth I'd beaten and in some cases embarrassed his best proteges, he was trying to select one to go recover technical manuals from the heir of a recently deceased Armorer who worked for a circle of Saber Rakes years ago, after I agreed to sheer copies of the manuals with him he told me where to find them.

I found out for a return trip ticket on a liner for just me it would be cheaper to just go out and buy an Astromech and fly myself in my Fighter. so I did.

Getting there I find out the heir is a daughter, slightly older than my character, she had sold off the finished Lightfoils, Crystals and most of the high end or high value vintage parts. I tried (unsuccessfully) to charm her out of the manuals (got to work on those Per Skills), to find out the Saber Rakes brought them off her father years ago to help pay for his weapons shop when the circle broke up years ago, but she cuts a deal with me If I take the last of her fathers workshop off her hands she would give me a list of all her fathers former patrons, this costs me all but a bit of walking around money.

After some research I find out most are Dead or moved to distant sectors, but I did recognize the name of a rewound but now retired Saber Rake, I let the guy who started this know where I was heading and am off.

I make better time than expected and rock up the evening before our planed afternoon meeting and talk my way in, we get to talking and he shows me his collection, but sais he doesn't have the manuals, but will put me in contact with the person that dose if I will Fence with him, given all his power cell need a charge I give him my spare Foil so he can use it's cell. I prepare in his grate hall as he swaps out the cell, he enters striped to the waste and I get what he was on about before when he said "A test of Man and Blade", he complements me on the workmanship if conservative engineering of my lightfoil, as I lost my Bracer and Doublet, we fenced , I was outclassed, I did get a few hits but only one stuned, my Lightfoil gave out and I had to concead the match, wile I dressed and swaped out a power cell in to my spare lightfoil my host uploaded a data pad for me.

Back out on the street I get ambushed by a woman in a white latex dress (actually a catsuit with breakaway skirt) with a pair of silver Lightfoils going on about how I've discouraged her Dupe undoing years of her work and how I will tell her how to acquiere the tech manuals or I will die. once I do a bunch of Stims we are evenly matched, my 3D Lightfoil can't harm her and her 4D Lightfoil can't do more than stun me after that first light wound, after out swords frits out she grapple lines away and I scarper off in to a dark alley as the Stormies show up. I'm boasting off world Stim poisoning sets in.

Last world, I can't get my Blaster past customs and would have bean arrested if I tried to get even my busted Lightfoils past Boarder control, still sick after a bad Stim interaction I track down the last person in the chain, to find out he had to smuggle out all his stuff before the weapons crackdown came in to effect, he has a bunch of data files he can give me and one physical book, and he will give them to me if I will cover enough of his gambling debts to get him out of trouble (that I can't do ATM) or can convince his old friend that put me on to him to pay up some of the money he is owed, some time on the Holo-net later wire transfers are done and I'm assured that since I'm not known to the authorities I should be able to just walk the book past coustoms, that I do.

Back home I now have the Tools, Parts, Blueprints and Tech Manuals to construct an Improved Lightfoil, all I need is the Skills, I could do it with average rolls, but don't want to risk 10,000 worth of natural Relacite just yet, think I'll forge some synthetic crystals and upgrade my current Lightfoils and save the natral ones for a new build.

Wile I was at a family Christmas dinner the other players had an adventure without me, when I get the details I might try to post them.

We may have an other game later this week and/or the first week of January before everyone scatters back to their jobs interstate or the far reaches of the state.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gives me a few ideas for my game...
Thanks for sharing!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of those stims do you guys have left?
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (or more to the point I) restock regularly, I try and keep between six and ten of each type on me, I tend to use Damage Resistance, Stun Resistance, Dex Boaster and healing Accelerator the most, only used Strength once, never had to use a Cognitive one myself, but the other characters had to use a couple in the game I missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: