The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Age and Aging effects in the galaxy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Age and Aging effects in the galaxy.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Age and Aging effects in the galaxy. Reply with quote

I was just watching a little youtube, and came across something interesting.

Bo Katan and her age, We can assume she is not very far off from her sister,
her sister was more or less the same age as Obi Wan, or very very close.

Now Obi Want was 56 In rebels, consideting he is born in 57 BBy
Satine I would think is not too far off had she been alive by then, roughly in the 55 age range.

Now to Bo Katan, she is the younger sister, but as we see her as an "adult" in the CW series, we can assume she is not more than 5 years younger than Satine.

This would make her 50 roughly by Rebels, and 60+ by the time of the mandalorian.

A 60+ yr old woman that ages very very well, and that is still atheltic and a fighter....

I wonder what are the actual effects of age in star wars, how long would a person live, would a mando live longer than a corellian etc etc...

Just something I started to think about.

I can see Palpatine (thoigh he is cheating) being 100+, and I would think Dooku was in his 70s at least....all very physical and not really suffering too much from the effects of ageing.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizards of the Coast dealt with this issue in their d20 books. I don't recall if it was the Revised Core Rulebook group or the Saga group. That hasn't been converted to d6 AFAIK.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Age and Aging effects in the galaxy. Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I was just watching a little youtube, and came across something interesting.

Bo Katan and her age, We can assume she is not very far off from her sister,

This would make her 50 roughly by Rebels, and 60+ by the time of the mandalorian.

The actress that plays Bo Katan is in her early 40s and honestly any discrepancy between her age and her characters age I just put down to general Star Wars inconsistencies.

That said I imagine bacta has an age reducing/slowing effect so regular bacta tank treatments would greatly reduce the impact of aging.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Age and Aging effects in the galaxy. Reply with quote

We've never talked about aging characters here before. Rolling Eyes

Forceally wrote:
Wizards of the Coast dealt with this issue in their d20 books. I don't recall if it was the Revised Core Rulebook group or the Saga group. That hasn't been converted to d6 AFAIK.

D6 versions of aging modifiers have been proposed and argued about here in the past.

I wouldn't read too much into aging in Star Wars from real world casting choices. The Boba Fett actor is 20 years older than his character (an unaltered clone with supposedly no growth acceleration). Fennec Shand, a character that canon has definitively established as older than Boba Fett, is played by a younger actor who looks a lot younger. IIRC, the live-action Bo-Katan role was given to her voice actor in the cartoons.

EDIT:
Esoomian wrote:
That said I imagine bacta has an age reducing/slowing effect so regular bacta tank treatments would greatly reduce the impact of aging.

I don't think there is much evidence of bacta affecting aging, and Boba Fett would serve as evidence against that.

Esoomian wrote:
The actress that plays Bo Katan is in her early 40s and honestly any discrepancy between her age and her characters age I just put down to general Star Wars inconsistencies.

Exactly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Age and Aging effects in the galaxy. Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't think there is much evidence of bacta affecting aging, and Boba Fett would serve as evidence against that.

Hard to say. The damage from being eaten/semi-digested may have made Boba Fett an unreliable case study.

I don't think there is any in universe evidence for bacta helping with ageing but it is the Star Wars miracle treatment so it could.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Age and Aging effects in the galaxy. Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

Esoomian wrote:
I don't think there is any in universe evidence for bacta helping with ageing but it is the Star Wars miracle treatment so it could.

Is the discrepancy between the actor and character age just a general Star Wars inconsistency, or is it the premise of regular bacta treatments greatly reducing the impact of aging? If the latter, I see some issues with your premise.

First, is Bo Katan so vain of a person that she would subject herself to regular bacta treatments just to look over two decades younger? That hasn't been my impression of the character (but I admit maybe I am not remembering something.)

Second, if bacta could greatly reduce the effects of aging, then a lot of galactic citizens would be using it for that reason. There are a lot of character who would have used it for that reason but by their appearance, clearly haven't.

Third, if bacta could greatly reduce the effects of aging, then a lot of galactic citizens using it for that reason would make that a major use for bacta and significantly impact the galactic market and daily lives of citizens so that it would seem rather impossible for it to not have appeared in any stories by now. Thus, the fact that there isn't any evidence of bacta reducing aging is a good reason why it shouldn't.

Fourth, I find that bacta already possessing a miraculous quality in Star Wars (healing injuries) is a weak justification for adding yet another miracle quality. Rather, bacta having one miraculous quality in film canon is a very good reason why it should not have another miraculous quality on top of that.

Your statements weren't worded as "in my SWU" but of course, you should have it work however you want in your SWU.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
First, is Bo Katan so vain of a person that she would subject herself to regular bacta treatments just to look over two decades younger? That hasn't been my impression of the character...

I fully believe that Bo Katan appearing younger than her canonical age is just an inconsistency. I don't believe she is the type of character to go to a bacta beauty spa.

My reasoning for bacta potentially having an effect on aging is (as I understand it) aging is the accumulation of damage to DNA over time and the flow on impacts of that on a body so a substance that heals damage could potentially impact aging as well.

I'm not super invested in the idea, more I would consider it as a way to handwave aging inconsistencies if I cared to do so.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I fully believe that Bo Katan appearing younger than her canonical age is just an inconsistency. I don't believe she is the type of character to go to a bacta beauty spa.

Thirded. Some inconsistency with in-setting reality is expected with Hollywood casting.

Quote:
My reasoning for bacta potentially having an effect on aging is (as I understand it) aging is the accumulation of damage to DNA over time and the flow on impacts of that on a body so a substance that heals damage could potentially impact aging as well.

Makes sense. There are other settings that have gone similar routes for medically induced life extension (”Rejuvenat” from WH40K and Prolong from the Honorverse, for examples), so it’s not like it’s a unique concept.

Quote:
I'm not super invested in the idea, more I would consider it as a way to handwave aging inconsistencies if I cared to do so.

Agreed. Considering the tech level necessary to underpin a setting as advanced as the SWU, it would make sense for some sort of life-extending medical treatment to exist, except that there is no mention of it, not to mention at least one prominent human (Mon Mothma) gradually succumbing to advanced age as the OG Canon timeline progressed (dying in 24 ABY, aged 72). If anyone would be likely to take advantage of such a thing, it would certainly be a politician trying to shepherd a galaxy-wide government into long-term stability, yet there is no mention of it. The one exception is the Force, where extended lifespans (if not eternal youth) seem to be one of the side effects.

Also, in both the examples I mentioned above, life-extension treatments are a story offset to counter in-universe time dilation / extended timelines, and not really a major factor in the short-term. The SWU has no real need for it, and neither does the RPG, really. I’ve never seen a campaign last long enough for it to be a factor, and the only conceivable way it might would be if a Kid Template aged out of simply being a kid into something else.

The only place character age would be a pertinent factor is as part of an ADSA rule, where Age is a Disadvantage selected by the player at the time of character creation.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: