The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventures, rewards, upgrades how often?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Adventures, rewards, upgrades how often?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Adventures, rewards, upgrades how often? Reply with quote

I tend to run an adventure 6-12 sessions (2 hour sessions - one a week) this brings it to about 4-8 adventures a year. At the end of each adventure is the rewards and upgrade component. What about everyone else? I like the 4-8 upgrade sessions a year for slow character growth. I don’t want my players to go from zero to hero to quickly.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really sure about the number of upgrades or upgrade sessions, but my sessions tend to last 3-5 hours each and adventures typically take 2-3 sessions if they are very tactical (which they often ate). I also have story and roleplaying heavy sessions that also run 3-5 hours, but tend to take only one session to complete. I think on average I play 1 to 2 sessions a month.

My players are able to upgrade skills in a game session because of a house rule I use, but general upgrades are usually only allowed between adventures. Sometimes I throw the right from one adventure to another with no times for skill increases and upgrades, though.

I don't worry too much about the players getting overpowered because I can always bring into play areas whete they are weak if I need to level the playing field, or take away the technology that makes them so powerful with their skills.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The character advancements in my game are based upon reaching a story milestone in the current adventure.

if it is a short adventure, it could be the end - for a longer adventure - it could be at the end of a major plot point.

I would say this is about every 4-8 sessions as well.
(we go slow, not just for zero to hero - but most of our games last years, and d6 gets a bit ...wonky...at high die codes).

My group has used "milestone" based experience for about a decade (or more? dang...) - in both star wars and in other games (have a DND 5E game using it, which is nearing the end). We like it and it works for us.

We use some slightly modified rules for CP, bonus dice etc. but those are mostly independent upon how often we get rewards.

To each their own!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would usually game every other week to once a month, and the players got 7-10 CP either every or every other session. I also kept the need for a skill base pretty broad so that they didn't leap completely over opposition.

For some reason that type of growth got more unmanageable in my D6 Fantasy game than it did in Star Wars, but that may have been because there was a less diverse set of skills they were leaning on.

So, I think I'm on the faster progression side of the spectrum.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since i've been in campaigns, where 7-10cp were awarded per session or adventure, i tend to be much more on the LESS side of house...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: