The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The galaxy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> The galaxy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject: The galaxy Reply with quote

. ______________ (the galaxy)
. Companion Aurek (the Rishi Maze)
. Companion Besh (Firefist)
. Companion Cresh
. Companion Dorn
. Companion Esk
. Companion Forn
. Companion Grek

"The Star Wars galaxy" is an out-of-universe designation, but I find it a bit frustrating that it doesn't have any in-universe name other than "the galaxy." It has seven satellite galaxies, so there is a local intergalactic group. The satellites all have designations. The primary galaxy should have a name!

What should the primary galaxy be called in-universe? "Skyriver"? "Galaxy Ffa"? "The Swu Galaxy"? Something else? What?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coruscanti Centerality

Just thinking about the Rishi maze named by the Planet Rishi
Now I just figured Coruscant could the same
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Galaxy of the Whills?!?

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a very interesting question and valid points, I must say I am hesitant to offer an answer for a lot of reasons that are likely just me being too much in my own head. The biggest reason I feel is that it really isn't my place to try to name something so important in such an iconic property as Star Wars that has been left un-named for so long. I could likely think of in-universe reasons for this phenomenon, all having to do with it's age, and self importance in the Star Wars setting, and the convention that since it is the central and most developed galaxy of the cluster, and therefore the most important, that everyone should know when you are talking about The Galaxy you refer to the central galaxy, as if you meant any of the Other satellite galaxies you would use their name.

That being said, for a name perhaps use the root of the name of the predominant font? I think it's official name was Aurek Besh? I have also seen is listed as Aurebesh, Aurecbesh, simply Aurek. I remember reading in some fluff somewhere that this was the common written form for "Galactic Basic" and was used to represent Aurebesh, Outer Rim Basic, and High Galactic variations of the language. So perhaps this language name evolved from the Galaxy name itself?

Another possibility would be to refer to the Mane Galaxy as something like Core Centrality, or by affixing -Prime to the cluster name so as to indicate it is the primary and most significant galaxy in the cluster.

Lastly, it could always be given a designation that is less a name and more a series of numbers. This especially can be combined with giving it a name to show the empires love of organizing everything and bringing order to the universe. In homage of the creator of Star Wars I would go with something like GL-THX-1138 Which of course translates to Galactic Location, Transversal Hyperspace Axial 1138 Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

The Whilly Way

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:

The Whilly Way

Discussion closed!
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I can see this thread becoming ridiculous very fast.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do or Do Not. There is no Kathleen Kennedy."

Okay, i had to get that out of my system...
*relieved sigh*

I am seriously considering using the Corellian name "Sacul" as the name for the galaxy.
The building blocks of basic, the Aurebesh alphabet, has been retconned (revised & expanded) to have come from the Rakata, who used it to name/brand their slaves.
So i am taking "Sacul" and making it the ancient Rakata word for "The Force" which the Rakata & later civilizations use as the name for the galaxy.

At least i think this idea is better than 'Gal Hutta' or 'Val Hutta' or whatever...
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
At least i think this idea is better than 'Gal Hutta' or 'Val Hutta' or whatever...

Huh?

Mamatried wrote:
The Coruscanti Centerality
KageRyu wrote:
In homage of the creator of Star Wars I would go with something like GL-THX-1138 Which of course translates to Galactic Location, Transversal Hyperspace Axial 1138 Wink
Forceally wrote:
Laughing

I can see this thread becoming ridiculous very fast.

Too late.

Mamatried wrote:
Just thinking about the Rishi maze named by the Planet Rishi

But "the Rishi Maze" is just a colloquial name. The official name for that satellite galaxy is Companion Aurek, because it is the closest one to the primary galaxy. The main galaxy already has a colloquialism: "the galaxy." My problem is, that is insufficient and it needs an official name.

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:

The Whilly Way

Discussion closed!

I have long had a remote setting in my SWU called "the Whills Nebula" and it was part of a greater area called "the Whills Nebulae Region" (named after the Whills Nebula) which was a bit removed from the galaxy. After getting The Essential Atlas in 2009, I decided that the Whills Nebulae Region was Companion Cresh (the third closest satellite galaxy), and gave it another colloquial name: "the Whills Galaxy." This also pushed it much further away from the main galaxy, but that's ok because it is connected by a wormhole.

So for the main galaxy, anything with "Whill" in it is out for me because it is already taken. There is a very specific reason "the Whills Nebula" and "the Whills Galaxy" are named as such and it is meaningful to the main galaxy in my SWU.

KageRyu wrote:
That being said, for a name perhaps use the root of the name of the predominant font? I think it's official name was Aurek Besh? I have also seen is listed as Aurebesh, Aurecbesh, simply Aurek. I remember reading in some fluff somewhere that this was the common written form for "Galactic Basic" and was used to represent Aurebesh, Outer Rim Basic, and High Galactic variations of the language. So perhaps this language name evolved from the Galaxy name itself?

The seven satellite galaxies already use a "Galaxy Standard Aurabesh" naming system, lettered from the closest to the farthest distance from the main galaxy. The main galaxy can't have a letter name. Below are the eight galaxies in the SWU (with the Cresh and Dorn colloquialisms from in my SWU).

. ______________ (the galaxy)
. Companion Aurek (the Rishi Maze)
. Companion Besh (Firefist)
. Companion Cresh (the Whills Galaxy)
. Companion Dorn (the Metabarony/the Human Galaxy*)
. Companion Esk
. Companion Forn
. Companion Grek

*based on the Human Universe from The Metabarons setting

KageRyu wrote:
While a very interesting question and valid points, I must say I am hesitant to offer an answer for a lot of reasons that are likely just me being too much in my own head. The biggest reason I feel is that it really isn't my place to try to name something so important in such an iconic property as Star Wars that has been left un-named for so long. I could likely think of in-universe reasons for this phenomenon, all having to do with it's age, and self importance in the Star Wars setting, and the convention that since it is the central and most developed galaxy of the cluster, and therefore the most important, that everyone should know when you are talking about The Galaxy you refer to the central galaxy, as if you meant any of the Other satellite galaxies you would use their name.

Our words "moon" (luna) and "moons" (lune) are based on "the Moon" (La Luna), but we are only 413 years removed from the discovery that there even are moons other than Earth's moon. English (and Italian) haven't changed much in that time. But the existence of other galaxies has been common knowledge in the SW galaxy for dozens of thousands of years, and on top of that Galactic Standard has changed drastically over those years.

"The Galaxy," even capitalized, is problematic because the satellite galaxies are galaxies too, so it is a vague reference. What would people in other galaxies say to refer to the main galaxy, such as discussing travel to it or describing the origin of things from there, as opposed to the other satellite galaxies. And from the point of view of the main galaxy, galactic citizens would know better than we do that they are two trillion galaxies in the universe. Even when considering the local intergalactic neighborhood, calling their own galaxy "the galaxy" seems silly to me.

KageRyu wrote:
Another possibility would be to refer to the Mane Galaxy as something like Core Centrality

"Core" already refers two regions of the main galaxy, so that term should be avoided. Centrality is likewise a region of the main galaxy.

KageRyu wrote:
or by affixing -Prime to the cluster name so as to indicate it is the primary and most significant galaxy in the cluster.

That makes some sense. Galaxy-Prime?

KageRyu wrote:
Lastly, it could always be given a designation that is less a name and more a series of numbers. This especially can be combined with giving it a name to show the empires love of organizing everything and bringing order to the universe.

Yes but in-universe they would number themselves as one, not some rando-number like 1138.

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
"Do or Do Not. There is no Kathleen Kennedy."

Okay, i had to get that out of my system...
*relieved sigh*

OK, but she doesn't have anything to do with naming galaxies.

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
I am seriously considering using the Corellian name "Sacul" as the name for the galaxy.
The building blocks of basic, the Aurebesh alphabet, has been retconned (revised & expanded) to have come from the Rakata, who used it to name/brand their slaves.
So i am taking "Sacul" and making it the ancient Rakata word for "The Force" which the Rakata & later civilizations use as the name for the galaxy.

The reference to Lucas makes sense, but "Lucas" seems mundane and I'm not sure about running it backwards. The name Lucas means, bringer of light. The Lightbringer? Not bad.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Huh?

Early ideas of what the Hutts might have called it, which i quickly discarded.
There where other early ideas, which i quickly discarded for similar reasons.

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

The reference to Lucas makes sense, but "Lucas" seems mundane and I'm not sure about running it backwards. The name Lucas means, bringer of light. The Lightbringer? Not bad.

The Lightbringer Galaxy? That actually has a nice ring to it...
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:
The name Lucas means, bringer of light. The Lightbringer? Not bad.

The Lightbringer Galaxy? That actually has a nice ring to it...

It really does.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: