The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

MRX-BR Pacifier, Request For Information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> MRX-BR Pacifier, Request For Information Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with 3 dedicated gunners, i still think it is big enough for at least 2-3 passengers..
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Even with 3 dedicated gunners, i still think it is big enough for at least 2-3 passengers..

You may be right. My assertion that Passengers & gunners were mixed up may be in error.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
garhkal wrote:

You may be right. My assertion that Passengers & gunners were mixed up may be in error.

This is IMO a common issue with all starships, the "added" gunner number, while any and all scourses I can find both covering Sci FI and Reality, the crew is the crew, they fill the roles on the ship, with the daily laundry worker being the gunner at battle stations, as this is how they operate naval captalship in the real world.

With removing/integrating the #Gunners number I think we can easier solve crew problems and the like.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
One gunner for both Proton Torpedo Launchers & One gunner for each Laser in the RAW in GG8: Scouts is in the Weapons' description/stats; the only problem i had was not listing the 4 Gunners.

The flipside is that most scouts are one-man operations. Just because a ship has multiple guns doesn’t mean it has to have a gunner standing by to operate them; if it did, the Falcon would have four of them lounging around somewhere while Han and Chewie did all the piloting. Small crews tend to get by with not having every station manned.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
One gunner for both Proton Torpedo Launchers & One gunner for each Laser in the RAW in GG8: Scouts is in the Weapons' description/stats; the only problem i had was not listing the 4 Gunners.

The flipside is that most scouts are one-man operations. Just because a ship has multiple guns doesn’t mean it has to have a gunner standing by to operate them; if it did, the Falcon would have four of them lounging around somewhere while Han and Chewie did all the piloting. Small crews tend to get by with not having every station manned.

Great example.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But to me, looking at the pacifier, its NOT a one man scouting craft. More like a one team craft (3-6 man team here).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But to me, looking at the pacifier, its NOT a one man scouting craft. More like a one team craft (3-6 man team here).

It can be both. By its stats, it's a heavily automated platform that can be flown by one pilot, who can also fire the guns in a pinch (read: MAPs), with passenger space for three (more if you convert some cargo space) who can also handle the guns to take the load off the pilot. The pilot has the choice of either running the ship on his own or as part of a team.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It can be both. By its stats, it's a heavily automated platform that can be flown by one pilot, who can also fire the guns in a pinch (read: MAPs), with passenger space for three (more if you convert some cargo space) who can also handle the guns to take the load off the pilot. The pilot has the choice of either running the ship on his own or as part of a team.

Taking the long view, this is perhaps the best interpretation, with regard to crew & gunners, passengers.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, what the Pacifier really needs is a reworking by a decent artist. I picture something resembling the Cylon Fighter from the original Battlestar Galactica series. Something like this, maybe...

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the looks of the Pacifier - we just never got more than a top down view of it.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Honestly, what the Pacifier really needs is a reworking by a decent artist. I picture something resembling the Cylon Fighter from the original Battlestar Galactica series. Something like this, maybe...

I disagree. I always found it interesting, even if the 'W'-shaped cockpit/nose section seemed odd to me.

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I always liked the looks of the Pacifier - we just never got more than a top down view of it.

When i get a better computer, i think i'll make a project with the MRX-BR Pacifier, sketch out different views then build a 3d model.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw it as someone's take off the older BSG's Cylon raiders..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
I always found it interesting, even if the 'W'-shaped cockpit/nose section seemed odd to me.

I have already put a lot of thought into it, and the more you think about it, the more frustrating it gets. The cockpit is just too weirdly shaped to be adapted into something usable or practical.

The Pacifier is an example of an unfortunate WEG trend of publishing ship outlines of... marginal quality. That's why it needs an artist's touch to take the essence of the ship and convert it into something more practical.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
I always found it interesting, even if the 'W'-shaped cockpit/nose section seemed odd to me.

I have already put a lot of thought into it, and the more you think about it, the more frustrating it gets. The cockpit is just too weirdly shaped to be adapted into something usable or practical.

The Pacifier is an example of an unfortunate WEG trend of publishing ship outlines of... marginal quality. That's why it needs an artist's touch to take the essence of the ship and convert it into something more practical.

I had a thought; iterative evolution from the double-bubble to something closer to the nose section on Mu/Lambda/Sentinel-class shuttles?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
I had a thought; iterative evolution from the double-bubble to something closer to the nose section on Mu/Lambda/Sentinel-class shuttles?

It certainly needs a new cockpit, but since it's produced by a different company, a Cygnus Spaceworks style cockpit would be a bit too derivative, IMO.

Maybe something like the Cylon Raider cockpit above, but extended out from the hull, rather than flushed into the leading edge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: