The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force sensitivity of a Mandalorian clone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Force sensitivity of a Mandalorian clone? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Force sensitivity of a Mandalorian clone? Reply with quote

Now at least in legends, we have the classic mandalorian basically unable to use the force and have some basic resistances to some powers.

jango fett was mandalorian, a clone should then have this trait, and thus have this resistance and inability to use the force.

now this is of course not canon
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Force sensitivity of a Mandalorian clone? Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Now at least in legends, we have the classic mandalorian basically unable to use the force and have some basic resistances to some powers.

jango fett was mandalorian, a clone should then have this trait, and thus have this resistance and inability to use the force.

So... there are like a bazilliion (a technical term) sources of star wars content out there - so it is entirely possible there are sources that give different content than my comments here...

Not force users?
When were "classic mando" unable to use the force?
Never heard of this as a genetic trait.

heck, the darksaber if I recall was from a mando jedi.
the overall lack of formal recognition of force sensitive mandos was in my perception because they had an antagonistic relationship with the jedi and republic.

In fact, I would contend that many of them were force sensitive - which accounted for some of their almost fantastical combat abilities - they probably just thought of it as their warrior culture superiority.
but that is speculative fluff for my head cannon.

Resistant to the force.
now, did a character say this in a story? No idea.
I look at it as many of them are disciplined warriors with strong minds - thus more difficult for some force abilities to work on them.

Thus jango...
He was not a genetic mando - he was a foundling.
So even if they were force resistant, he would not be.

Maybe there are sources that say differently - but my take (based upon various other sources - and realizing that what a character says does not mean something is universally true).

Anyway - what works for your game.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Force sensitivity of a Mandalorian clone? Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

So... there are like a bazilliion (a technical term) sources of star wars content out there - so it is entirely possible there are sources that give different content than my comments here...

Not force users?

the overall lack of formal recognition of force sensitive mandos was in my perception because they had an antagonistic relationship with the jedi and republic.

In fact, I would contend that many of them were force sensitive - which accounted for some of their almost fantastical combat abilities - they probably just thought of it as their warrior culture superiority.

Resistant to the force.
I look at it as many of them are disciplined warriors with strong minds - thus more difficult for some force abilities to work on them.

Thus jango...
He was not a genetic mando - he was a foundling.
So even if they were force resistant, he would not be.

Maybe there are sources that say differently - but my take (based upon various other sources - and realizing that what a character says does not mean something is universally true).

Anyway - what works for your game.

I have neither really heard this as anyting cannon, however from all the vairous scourses I can find, including the rancorpit "writeups" if you will all of them have some form of "inability" to use the force for mandalorians, I suspect this becuse there had only been one jedi from the mandalorians and from this I belive many people doing writeups have mace that conclusins that the "race/Species" has these inablities....for a game bakance i suppose.

I agree with you fully that this actually does not have a place in canon or "eu" as we know it, but with the writeups I can find they are all given these imo "odd" penalties to anything force, also an inablitiey to use it.......I mean even "our rancor write up" in most of the scourses we have in the library, we see this being consistant, and again I suspect this is becuse of the conclusine that of there was only one, he had to be unique and the only one ever so lets make the "culture" into a race and give them a penalty to force.....becuse balance may suffer with a group of lightsaber using force powerful "boba fetts" running around simply finding no real game challenge.

Now I personally would not give mandalorians as a culture any special abilities or story factots at all, being no different than anyone else "human", however in a write up we have to look at the different groups and their differnent i ternal cutures and use these as sory factors.

So where does all of these restrictions on force using come form if not one Game MAster somewhere some time finding a manadolian in his armor, using the lightsaber and the force and being "too much to handle" and then houseruled and this houserule as many actually does then speread. and this is why even here on rancorpit, every mandalorian write up have included these imo nonsesne restrictions
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Force sensitivity of a Mandalorian clone? Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

Not force users?

Maybe they were not force sensitive, but cause of their martial culture, pushed most of their available CP's to boosting their combat skills.

pakman wrote:

Resistant to the force.

What of Toydarians and Hutts, who are often described as being immune to mind control/affect mind..
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Force sensitivity of a Mandalorian clone? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

What of Toydarians and Hutts, who are often described as being immune to mind control/affect mind..

Not immune. Just increased resistance.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me the most obvious reason there were not more mandalorian jedi was because Mandalore did not get along with the jedi or the republic.

Often times, we find writers of content (official or otherwise) come up with explanations for situations that honestly, seem arbitrary.

Ie. - why are there not more Mando jedi - oh, maybe they are not force sensitive!

Where as now, that we know more about mandos having a contentious relationship with the jedi over the millennia, it is prolly because the jedi were not welcome there to look for sensitive children.

(there was some star wars produced article years ago on the history of jango fett after episode one that added a lot more about mando culture etc.)

In Fact -I would say - given how amazing some of their warriors are - that many of the upper echelon warriors are indeed force sensitive.

This is more demonstrated in the clone wars animated series - we have them going head to head not only against jedi - but some dodging blaster bolts, or ever deflecting with either mandalorian shock staves, or arm mounted shields.

To me this clearly represents some of the more Control and Sense type skills.
They just don't call it the force - they have their "way" and the various warrior cultures, meditations and practices.
(many warrior cultures in various fictional sources have almost "mystical" powers granted from accessing what ever it is called in their belief system).

In our game, we are playing it that way - but each group has to decide which head cannon works best for them.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be becuse somone sometime mistakenly made mandalorians into a spcies of human, and not Tong.

After the Tong went extinct like 1000s of years ago, the mandalorian as I see it, and as describen in any and all scourse I can find, is a culture.

I think this force resistance, inability and the like comes from the above "mistake"
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some thoughts.

1. Legend Mandolorians are a polyglot of species and not a specific species.

2. Disney Canon Mandolorians are stated on wookieepedia as also being a polyglot of species. I would like to point out that source such as TCW, SWRe, The Mandolorian and other all show Mandolorians as being either human or near-human.

3. In neither Legend or Disney Canon are the Mandolorian species (singular or polyglot) attributed with being resistant to Force skills of any type.

4. Boba Fett does not have any Special Abilities to resist Force skills in any of his WEG stat blocks.

5. Disney Canon states that Mandolorians were a warlike people up until about ~20 years before The Clone Wars.

6. Disney Canon states there was only a single Mandolorian who became a Jedi Knight. There is no information stating that Mandolorians did not have Force-sensitives or that Mandolorians followed alternate Force ideologies. The big push within Disney canon to use the Force there is an element of faith, hope, and peace. Things, that until recently within Star Wars lore, Mandolorians did not embrace culturally. This could explain why culturally the Mandolorians have not had many Force-sensitives as well as a cultural identity that is direct opposition of those ideals.

7. Though Jango Fett is a Mandolorian and the genetic template for the Republic Clones, there is nothing that suggests he was resitance to Force skills. By extension, and we have a lot of information on the Clone Wars, no Clone Trooper was ever Force-sensitive or Force resistant.

8. Legends poined out that cloning Force-sensitives led to unstable individuals if a clone was ever successfully created. The crazy end of it does not work its way into Disney Canon, but the incredible difficulty of specifically cloning Force-sensitives is. As the Republic Clonetroopers are not difficult to create I would posit they are not Force-sensitive.

These are just some ideas to ponder.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Just some thoughts.

1. Legend Mandolorians are a polyglot of species and not a specific species.

2. Disney Canon Mandolorians are stated on wookieepedia as also being a polyglot of species. I would like to point out that source such as TCW, SWRe, The Mandolorian and other all show Mandolorians as being either human or near-human.

3. In neither Legend or Disney Canon are the Mandolorian species (singular or polyglot) attributed with being resistant to Force skills of any type.

4. Boba Fett does not have any Special Abilities to resist Force skills in any of his WEG stat blocks.

5. Disney Canon states that Mandolorians were a warlike people up until about ~20 years before The Clone Wars.

6. Disney Canon states there was only a single Mandolorian who became a Jedi Knight. There is no information stating that Mandolorians did not have Force-sensitives or that Mandolorians followed alternate Force ideologies. The big push within Disney canon to use the Force there is an element of faith, hope, and peace. Things, that until recently within Star Wars lore, Mandolorians did not embrace culturally. This could explain why culturally the Mandolorians have not had many Force-sensitives as well as a cultural identity that is direct opposition of those ideals.

7. Though Jango Fett is a Mandolorian and the genetic template for the Republic Clones, there is nothing that suggests he was resitance to Force skills. By extension, and we have a lot of information on the Clone Wars, no Clone Trooper was ever Force-sensitive or Force resistant.

8. Legends poined out that cloning Force-sensitives led to unstable individuals if a clone was ever successfully created. The crazy end of it does not work its way into Disney Canon, but the incredible difficulty of specifically cloning Force-sensitives is. As the Republic Clonetroopers are not difficult to create I would posit they are not Force-sensitive.

These are just some ideas to ponder.

Exactly, yet several fan made and some WED writeup actually gives the inability to use the force and some even som very few resistances, like vs mind based attacks.

I am all with the above 8 and is why I am confused to these various writeups out there.

Now as to the Tong race, the original mandaloians, sure I can accpt that, but not the mandalorian we know.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mamatried, Could you link to these references for review? It might help with giving useful responses.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
@Mamatried, Could you link to these references for review? It might help with giving useful responses.

here is one example that I could find just out of the blue, but there are other that I have seen as well, ¨

https://swrpggm.com/almec/

https://rpggamer.org/stats.php?page=d6/d6mandalorianpc.html&name=Mandalorian

now what I have to say is that I have not as far as remember seen these restriction on any jango or boba write up (for the most part).

This is in part why I stick to Rancorpit, is much more active debate, revision and the like.

This is one site, there are more as well, but will have to make a "list"
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am all with the above 8 and is why I am confused to these various writeups out there.

Because fan products are based on passion and the writers perspective - which may or may not match other perspectives?

Over the decades (man...getting old...) I have read many many rpgs - sci-fi or otherwise - and it has been clear to me that the consistency in content creation is ....spotty...at best.

I mean, even with "official" sources - it can vary wildly depending upon the creators' vision and how tight the setting is defined (most are not - some are - but most are not).

Heck, I would say anywhere from a third to half of the house rules here on the pit are to address inconsistent or missing content.

To add to this - many times authors will need a specific set up for a plot point - and not be too careful on the setup to get to that plot point - sadly, often causing more inconsistencies along the way.

Anyway - in my game mado's have just as much as force users as anyone else - they just don't call it being a force user - like the jedi do.

This is my groups accepted explanation of their ability to stand up to jedi in combat and have exceptional "jedi like reflexes" and such.

Other gaming groups may come up with what ever works best for them!

Best of luck and have fun in what ever you decide for your group.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which book is the WED(did you mean WEG?) you reference that mentions force resistance or immunity in? This is the one I would most like to review.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Which book is the WED(did you mean WEG?) you reference that mentions force resistance or immunity in? This is the one I would most like to review.

My bad I did not read proppely, I founf nothing from WEG official books, so I think that clares up the confusion I had.

All I have found is in some way fan -made and as such "houseruled"
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.
As Pakman said, fan rules are written by fans and often may be biased in favor of a given fan, or even group's view of the topic that they are writing about. This is even called out on one of the linked pages being referenced in comments both asking for an update and a site admin explaining that is unlikely as it is someone eleses work and to change it would be wrong.

All of that being said, for those interested, I will provide my thoughts on where the idea of Force Immunity or resistance may have originated. This dates back to a time long ago, right here on Earth, when ranging from the early 80's through the 90's, when I was a much more avid fan of Star Wars and Sci-Fi in general. Much of the information is my memories of old interviews with George Lucas in magazines such as Star Log, from various printed media such as promotional pamphlets, one of magazines, toy and model packages, etc...

In the Late 80's and early 90's much of the back story of many aspects of Star Wars was not well detailed (it's huge). Some of this was intentional. Boba Fett was meant to be a limited exposure extra, and there was no intent for him to be a fan favorite or cultural phenomenon. How this happened is in debate, but the theory is it had a lot to do with hype created by Kenner for the mail in action figure. This is all secondary so I will skip George's hate for Boba and why he was killed off in such an unceremonious way. In any event with hundreds of questions about Boba Fett being asked, answers were sometime given on the spot then forgotten...but fans cling to these answers. It was mentioned, rather offhandedly a few times, that Boba Fetts armor dated to the clone wars (not the clone wars we know now...but that's another rant for another time). It was also mentioned that the Mandalorians fought in the wars, and after the wars aided the Empire to round up Jedi because they had warred with the Jedi on and off over a thousand years or so and were quite good at fighting them (the Dark Horse comics actually referenced this in Dark Empire and introduced the Mandalorian prison barge used to house Jedi with cells that negate force use). It was mentioned somewhere that Boba Fetts armor in particular bore the markings of a well known Mandalorian from the wars who had killed many Jedi, but whether or not the man in the armor was the same was unknown. It was also state that Mandalorian Armor could withstand a direct Lightsaber hit (this was a big deal) and this was due to the process used by Mandalorian Iron Smiths to create Mandalorian Iron (yes this is what it was called). Some say Beskar is another name for the same metal, but some disagree as it had been brought up many times that Mandalorian Iron was flammable and vulnerable to fire (which I thought was ridiculous...). In these times it was mentioned that Mandalorians were good at resisting the force, and had strong minds, but it was not specified if this was due to rigorous mental conditioning, or a natural trait. I do not recall it ever being mentioned that Mandalorian's could never use the force, but it was a big deal that they hated and shunned force users ...so...

I had read somewhere (I can not recall the exact source) in the late 90's that the Mandaloreans were genetically an offshoot of the same human stock that inhabited Coruscant. Because of the harsh conditions on the world they settled, coupled with their militarized structure that sought to purge weakness and reward strength, the Mandalorians had become physically heartier overall than regular run of the mill humans. I envisioned a science fiction based culture with social similarities to how Sparta was portrayed in the Frank Miller comics. This was my take on interpreting them.

Now, often in Role Playing Stats, especially amongst some of us older players, when ever a new character type or species is given something that can be perceived as an advantage, then an equal disadvantage is often also applied. Commonly this is to make a reverse side to the advantage. So it may be that, given available knowledge at the time, and the ability to resist the force, the authors of those stats decided the flip side was that Mandalorians could never be force sensitive or learn to use the force.

I hope this was at least an interesting read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: