The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Critical damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Critical damage Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was scratching my head over what the hell you guys are talking about, so I did an google search for "Massive Critical and Keen" and got this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/9bavto/my_only_kotor_question_ever_is_investing_in/

Quote:
You have to build around it. A Keen lightsaber with Master Critical Strike has a 50% chance to crit, which is 2x your lightsaber's damage plus whatever Massive Criticals bonuses the weapon has.

Mamatried wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Keen items were more like WEapons of quality

keen from D20?

it give the weapon a sharper edge and a higher "threat range" meaning it is easier to confirm a critical.

normally a sword would confirm a critical (after the critical roll) with rolling vs 18-20, keen makes this 17-20 and thus a much deadlier blade

Forceally wrote:
I can see how that can apply to a vibroblade or an ordinary sword. But a lightsaber? Perhaps a "Keen" lightsaber ignores any armor the opponent might be wearing, thus the target suffers the full 5D damage. Natural armor still applies.

As for Massive Critical, maybe that's saying you add 1-3, 1-4, or 1-8 to the damage inflicted by a critical hit?

As far as 'keen', 'massive critical' and 'master critical strike' go, does Star Wars really need OP lightsabers?

In d20, a critical hit is a very good attack roll that has more damage. The D6 analog of that is the optional skill damage bonus. Stars Wars D6 doesn't need anything else.

Remember that the game engine for SW d20 is 'D&D in space.' There is no need to adapt 'critical hit' and 'keen' to SW D6. These things are not inherently Star Wars, but rather they are inherently d20.

Also, I moved this thread out of Official Rules because this is not at all about Official SW D6 Rules (RAW). I moved it to Star Wars Games instead of House Rules because of the fixation on d20 mechanics. This has grown beyond converting stats from one system to another.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Like I said, I was going to incorporate the focusing crystals from the KOTOR games, but then I saw how changing the other components - power cell, blade emitter, focusing lens - could add damage or make it easier to deflect blasters, etc. So I decided to include them as well in my Force Compendium. The "Keen" and "Massive Critical" were the only parts I couldn't figure out how to convert to d6, so I came to the boards to ask if anyone had any suggestions.

I know what I can do about "Keen". As for "Massive Critical", I'm not going to bother about critical hits. That was covered in d20, which the KOTOR games used. So I'll just say it adds some additional damage to the 5D damage lightsabers inflict.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabers in d20 had no extra special critical damage - just regular x2. Their advantage was ignoring the hardness of the objects (but not their hit points).
So blaster fire could be stopped by blast doors but not a lightsaber
or
one can cut a target behind the cover as it provides no protection vs blade

But I think there are plenty of ready rules in d6 to represent it:
1) additional damage from LS power,
2) additional damage from high hit roll,
3) Hull breach rules - both official and house rules presented on this forum,
4) Zorro d6 advantage rule for 6 on a Wild Die:
Quote:
An Exceptional Success allows the Hero to complete the task in a truly quick, dramatic, fashion. This might include an environmental advantage (like enemies getting tangled in a horse cart during a foot chase), or simply dealing double damage in combat.

Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input. I got that segment done. Now for the crystals. Darklight79, as I said before, the listing you referred me to will help greatly.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Okay. I can see how that can apply to a vibroblade or an ordinary sword. But a lightsaber? Perhaps a "Keen" lightsaber ignores any armor the opponent might be wearing, thus the target suffers the full 5D damage. Natural armor still applies.

As for Massive Critical, maybe that's saying you add 1-3, 1-4, or 1-8 to the damage inflicted by a critical hit?

As far as I know armor should not count vs lightsaber unless the armor is made of spesific materials.

If the Lightsaber ignores hardness, aks can cut through a blast door, then it can cut through armor.

I have never used armor against lightsaber unless spesific material is used.

so to me there is no need fo any of the "keen" or other d20 feats/abilites, be it on equipment, weapons, or characters.

A lightsaber would in d20, be a brillian enegy blade that ignores all hardness and thus ignores armor as this is "a hardness", it will have both the wounding and the vorpal traits, being something that can decapitate/amputate, as well.

now my way of dealing with critical his is home made, and based on the armor/hit location table.

I let the 6 explode, and the player rolls normally
GM rolls a d6 in secrecy when the player has a exploding wild dice, this GM dice does not explode, but on a 5-6 something happens.
a 5 is in my homerules a narrative, often mechanically given some advantage for the next turn or the opponent is stunned for X round fater the damage.
The 6 I use a hit location roll, and apply damage to the rolled location, some locations having a lower thrshold than others.

I take the FULL strength when I recive a torso hit, the head may have less, same with each arm and leg....so the 15 damage I shrugged off being hit in the torso, the same shot to the arm paralyses it, and I have a -XD to my action ( on top of the wound status penalties)
the same 15 damage to the head could be an instant kill, even if the Damage alone is not enough overall to give the "dead" status.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait. I know from the R&E book that if I hit a stormtrooper with a blaster shot, the armor will absorb some of the blaster shot's energy, reducing the damage.

I know that the lightsaber can cut through most objects. But let's consider this scenario from Jedi Outcast. In the game, we control Kyle Katarn, and we've seen him cut down stormtroopers easily with his lightsaber. That's expected. Nevertheless, even with the penetrating power of the lightsaber, wouldn't the stormtrooper soak up some of the damage, reducing the damage the lightsaber inflicts on the stormtrooper?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in ATOC and such, we saw them having to work, to get lightsabers to cut through doors.. so i do think they still need to roll vs armor.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In D6 a Lightsaber does not automatically ignore armor, nor should it. A target hit with a Lightsaber wearing armor still gets to add the armor to the damage resistance roll. The cutting power of the Lightsaber and it's ability to cut through things is reflected already by its not only high damage (5D energy) but the fact that force users with Lightsaber skill can add their dice of Control to that damage.

The issue with Blast Doors and other high damage code structures is that in RAW this may still not be enough to simply cut through - however as demonstrated in film and other sources, prolonged contact with a Lightsaber is cumulative on even the toughest sources. So I would propose for these situations allowing either a stacking bonus for multiple hits as if linked weapons over rounds, or a cumulative +1D per round of prolonged contact (a twist on the preparing/taking time rule applied to using a Lightsaber to cut through dense objects). RAW, to my knowledge, did not really address this.

Clearly, when Vader is struck multiple times on the arm and shoulder in the fight with Luke in ROTJ the saber did not just slice through him. Was this force resistance? His Armor? I have seen many explanations. I feel it was a mix of all of both.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my thought as well. Was briefly considering Mamatried's post.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Even in ATOC and such, we saw them having to work, to get lightsabers to cut through doors.

And by "ATOC and such" you mean TPM. I know, you don't own either of those two movies so it's not easy to remember which movie had the 'Llightsaber V Blast Door' scene. Just to refresh your memory...

https://youtu.be/K48M2S7bkSA?t=3560

If it's been over 20 years, you should watch them again. Hologram
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNT is showing the Star Wars trilogies at least once every three months. Maybe even sooner. So no special effort's needed to see them again. Either wait for them to show, or get your DVR to record them. There's also Disney+ and the DVD/Blu-Ray if you have them.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify: in the newest d20 edition sabers ignore hardness/ damage reduction. But this attribute is assigned to objects/ vehicles/ ships and some creatures' natural armor.

Regular armors however provide "armor bonus" which is added to Reflex Defense - this represents how hard you are to hit in combat. And this is not ignored by lightsabers. I think they wanted to balance it out so that's why changed previous rules.

In d6 a successful STR roll (with armor)/object resist vs lightsaber can be interpreted as a nick* like:
Vader vs Luke
Vader vs Kenobi
Hitting the ship's door with the tip of a lightsaber
or maybe even dodge:
Getting pass the Sith

*beskar/ energy shield not included.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Even in ATOC and such, we saw them having to work, to get lightsabers to cut through doors.

And by "ATOC and such" you mean TPM. I know, you don't own either of those two movies so it's not easy to remember which movie had the 'Llightsaber V Blast Door' scene. Just to refresh your memory...

https://youtu.be/K48M2S7bkSA?t=3560

If it's been over 20 years, you should watch them again. Hologram

Na, was posting after a long day gaming and doing yard work.. SO my brain was slightly frazzled.. (filled 4 bags worth of leaves, and STILL have more to collect).
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things...

1 - what lightsabers (and other weapons) ignore is 100% within the context of the entire rules system.

In d20 (which I played for years) - yes, lightsabers ignored DR - BUT they also did not do a lot of damage. really. they were pretty weak - comparatively - so their ignoring armor DR was not a big deal. (their danger came from bonuses from the skill of the user).

In fact, overall - armor was not very useful in d20, unless you were a very unskilled person (i.e. a stormtrooper) - for most players the only value in armor was if you wanted to mount accessories (sensors, jet pack, etc.).

This is in strong contrast to d6 where lightsabers base damage is already very high, and goes insane with jedi skills.

2 - What we see in movies, while we can take as inspiration for how something works - can ALMOST never be taken directly - as there are often inconsistencies and contradictions and logical issues in how things work (don't get me started on what keeps ships in orbit ...).

Movies are made to be cool and tech is made to facilitate story and plot devices.

SO THEN....
Converting things from D20 (which I played for years) to D6 (which I played for years and am playing now) is very tricky. You have to take into account some of the different philosophies of the systems.

The concept of a critical in d20 does not translate directly (as pointed out earlier in this thread - a crit is rolling a six on the wild die) to D6 - nor does how lightsabers ignore armor DR in d20.

If I had an extreme case where I wanted an advanced skills or enhanced device to have a better chance to do more damage randomly, I would just give +1 on the wild die.
Keep it simple.

If you wanted it to be more effective against armor - just give it a +1 on the wild die against armored opponents. But I would prolly skip it.

just my 2 credits worth - I find we often overcomplicate things.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
TNT is showing the Star Wars trilogies at least once every three months. Maybe even sooner. So no special effort's needed to see them again. Either wait for them to show, or get your DVR to record them. There's also Disney+ and the DVD/Blu-Ray if you have them.

I know he has the classic trilogy and RotS on DVD, and that he doesn't have D+. I'm not sure about cable TV, a DVR, or a working DVD player.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: