The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Andor [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Andor [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about all this always active particle shields. DSI did not have it as the proton torpedoes went though (ray shields only?).
Grievous' ship did not have it as general's claws scratched the hull, ect.

As for the tractor beam maneuver. Luthen made the Imperials power up tractor to level X to compensate for his engines. Then he thew out shrapnel which, as of a lesser mass, were immediately accelerated gaining lot of impact power.

In game terms they went from something like 3D of star-fighter scale damage to capital scale damage probably based on tractor beam damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
I am not sure about all this always active particle shields. DSI did not have it as the proton torpedoes went though (ray shields only?).

This assumes particle shields have to be coterminous with the hull, which has not been established. It's equally plausible that the particle shields have a usable gap that something small enough (a starfighter, or General Grievous) could get in under it and still be able to function. And particle shields would pretty much have to always be on if the ship was under power, because collisions with micrometeorites or other space debris could be catastrophic without something there to deflect them.

However, if you're trying to reel in a captured ship with your main bow tractor beam, you pretty much have to drop the particle shields if you want to bring a large solid object through them.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just upgraded my cellular plan today, and the upgrade I got came with Disney+ for free. Things are rather hectic at the moment (I have to move out of my apartment, and I'm switching jobs), but once things settle down, I may have to catch up on Andor.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that you have D+ again, not cool that you have to move. Moving is no fun.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

This assumes particle shields have to be coterminous with the hull, which has not been established. It's equally plausible that the particle shields have a usable gap that something small enough (a starfighter, or General Grievous) could get in under it and still be able to function. And particle shields would pretty much have to always be on if the ship was under power, because collisions with micrometeorites or other space debris could be catastrophic without something there to deflect them.

However, if you're trying to reel in a captured ship with your main bow tractor beam, you pretty much have to drop the particle shields if you want to bring a large solid object through them.

I'm thinking that maybe there should be some space between the hull and particle shields. I have hull breach as a possible severe damage outcome in my spaceship damage system, and it is possible to get this with the particle shields still operational. Hull breaches wouldn't be so much like a mortally wounded character status if the ship's internal atmosphere (a mass of particles) is just held in by a shield. So the only way a hull breach could be a very severe damage outcome is if there is also a hole in the particle shields, or if there is space between the ship and the shield so the ship is still venting air into that space.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cool that you have D+ again, not cool that you have to move. Moving is no fun.

I'm trying to make the most of it, by taking the opportunity to declutter my life somewhat. I have two huge tubs of books that I've read once and never touched again. They're all being donated to the local library.

Quote:
I'm thinking that maybe there should be some space between the hull and particle shields. I have hull breach as a possible severe damage outcome in my spaceship damage system, and it is possible to get this with the particle shields still operational. Hull breaches wouldn't be so much like a mortally wounded character status if the ship's internal atmosphere (a mass of particles) is just held in by a shield. So the only way a hull breach could be a very severe damage outcome is if there is also a hole in the particle shields, or if there is space between the ship and the shield so the ship is still venting air into that space.

That fits. The one time we see it be an issue on screen is on the bridge of the Invisible Hand, but there's more than enough volume in the envelope between a capital ship's hull and the particle shields that decompression would be a major hazard. On top of that, I've theorized elsewhere that pushing out the Falcon's particle shields was how they managed to go outside with just breath masks on inside the space slug in TESB.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm trying to make the most of it, by taking the opportunity to declutter my life somewhat. I have two huge tubs of books that I've read once and never touched again. They're all being donated to the local library.

Sir, you are a true hero.

Quote:
Whill wrote:
...if there is space between the ship and the shield so the ship is still venting air into that space.

That fits. The one time we see it be an issue on screen is on the bridge of the Invisible Hand, but there's more than enough volume in the envelope between a capital ship's hull and the particle shields that decompression would be a major hazard.

The ship they were on was in an active space battle at the time, so the particle shields could have been damaged at that point. Being on the bridge, Grievous could have known that. Or maybe capital ships could have a bigger envelopes. It wouldn't make sense for ships to carry around an atmosphere with them, so it would still be a vacuum in the envelope.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It wouldn't make sense for ships to carry around an atmosphere with them, so it would still be a vacuum in the envelope.

Exactly, and the volume of the space between the outer hull and the particle shields would still be more than enough to completely depressurize a single compartment (like the ship's bridge) even if the particle shields were intact.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got around to watching Andor, which I'd postponed, knowing I would really like it (and aware that we likely won't see S2 until 2024). Like most people here, I felt it was outstanding. Great stories, with good tension, acting, and the like.

I love seeing the internal politics of the ISB. Enjoyed brilliant little touches like Syril Karn eating cereal as his annoying mother pesters him. Seeing Vel Sartha as a grungy Rebel fighter, and in other scenes as a beautiful aristocrat with her cousin, Mon. B2EMO is probably the cutest droid in SW, IMHO (and also the most dog-like). Speaking of dogs, Pegla's Corellian hounds are awesome.

I loved the tactic Luthen/Axis used to evade the tractor beam. Think I'll ask elsewhere about it so as not to derail this thread more about it.

CRMcNeill, did you end up watching it?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a few episodes in, but due to a combination of lack of interest and being busy with work, I haven't kept up with it.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a thought on Luthien's "space saber" weapon, used later in that scene. I'm thinking of resolving it as a ramming attack, as per the rules on pg. 110 in 2R&E, but with the "sabers" providing a bonus to hit that offsets the RAW's +10 Difficulty modifier to hit with the ram. The randomization of the dice bonus nicely represents the potential for a target to "thread the needle" and fly through a gap despite the spin.

Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I got a few episodes in, but due to a combination of lack of interest and being busy with work, I haven't kept up with it.

The first three episodes are a story arc, and the same for the next three episodes. Both of those arcs follow a pattern, of slow-burn/slow-burn/exciting-action episode. So the 3rd and 6th episodes are the best of the first half of the series. Then the 7th-12th is one big arc building until the end.

I can kinda wrap my head around lack of interest from only watching the first two. But the next episode is the payoff. I rank Andor season 1 above TM s1. IMO Andor is the best Disney+ TV SW there is.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to a video link I posted over in the Ahsoka thread. I found this to be hilarious:

Andor 1975
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I found this to be hilarious:

Andor 1975

Awesome!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: