The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Is there any evidence that bacta can treat baldness?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Is there any evidence that bacta can treat baldness?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Is there any evidence that bacta can treat baldness? Reply with quote

I am going in for hair restoration treatments but I wonder if I lived in a galaxy far far away, that bacta could be used to fix my hair loss. I do know it regrows hair naturally based on this

https://books.google.com/books?id=sLi30KB8IN0C&pg=PT5

Yet could it correct something that is a medical problem? I googled hair cloning and it is a hypothetical procedure that uses stem cells to regenerate follicles. Since bacta basically does that (regenerates with stem cells); could it fix male pattern baldness? Any evidence in Legends or Canon?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and will someone look like a "wookie" if left too long with growing hair.

And yes I think bacta acts as some molecular level restoration so yes hair lost through shaving, burning and such, but I do not belive natural "baldness" no
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of it myself.. BUT seeing the # of characters in the films that seemed to lack hair, if bacta could regrow it, i would wonder WHY they were lacking so much hair.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think Bacta could regenerate follicles that were damaged or injured, but would not be able to cure hair loss due to genetic conditions or issues as is the case with many types of pattern baldness. It might temporarily restore follicles, but these would then fall victim to the same deterioration as the original follicles. I do not know if there is mention anywhere of Bacta being able to heal genetic disease or damage (I have limited exposure to the EU). If there is evidence in the EU of Bacta being able to cure genetic diseases, damage, or issues then forget everything I just said (but then I would wonder about the write ups of a few races suffering systemic genetic issues from radiation poising such as the Ubese and why they do not cure them with Bacta).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any evidence that bacta can treat baldness? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Never thought of it myself.. BUT seeing the # of characters in the films that seemed to lack hair, if bacta could regrow it, i would wonder WHY they were lacking so much hair.

Good point.

Maximum7 wrote:
I am going in for hair restoration treatments but I wonder if I lived in a galaxy far far away, that bacta could be used to fix my hair loss. I do know it regrows hair naturally based on this

https://books.google.com/books?id=sLi30KB8IN0C&pg=PT5

Yet could it correct something that is a medical problem? I googled hair cloning and it is a hypothetical procedure that uses stem cells to regenerate follicles. Since bacta basically does that (regenerates with stem cells); could it fix male pattern baldness? Any evidence in Legends or Canon?

The Legends source you linked is only evidence of hair growing faster in bacta, not hair growing where none can grow anymore. And even that seems to contradict film evidence, which showed that Luke's beard did not even grow while he was in bacta.

KageRyu wrote:
I would think Bacta could regenerate follicles that were damaged or injured, but would not be able to cure hair loss due to genetic conditions or issues as is the case with many types of pattern baldness. It might temporarily restore follicles, but these would then fall victim to the same deterioration as the original follicles. I do not know if there is mention anywhere of Bacta being able to heal genetic disease or damage (I have limited exposure to the EU). If there is evidence in the EU of Bacta being able to cure genetic diseases, damage, or issues then forget everything I just said (but then I would wonder about the write ups of a few races suffering systemic genetic issues from radiation poising such as the Ubese and why they do not cure them with Bacta).

I'm with you. Bacta heals injuries, but it does not cure diseases. In the WEG game, the medicine skill is only good for operating bacta tanks or giving a bonus to first aid checks. The WEG game lacking details about disease prevention, treatment, and curing work in SW shouldn't be taken as an assumption that it doesn't exist. But on the same note, it also doesn't mean that bacta is just a magical cure for everything.

Maximum7 wrote:
Is there any evidence that bacta can treat baldness?

Hey, there doesn't need to be evidence. If you want it to in your SWU, then it can.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: