The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

On the bucket heads again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> On the bucket heads again
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: On the bucket heads again Reply with quote

I have began to view the classic bucket heads in a slightly new way.

if we look to bad batch as a natural continuation and transition of the GAR into the imperial military, and the immidiate phasing out of clones.

Now with the still serving clones wining the combat units we now have the new name "stormtroopers" that are in reality GAR clones.
Some serve as instuctors and train the new human recruits, of course to a lesser degree due to them not being tranied as long and intesively as the clones.
mixed in with the still serving clones within the military we now have the first generation human stormtroopers relatively well tranied compared to their clone brethren within the legions.

As time passes we have less and less clones within these units, more and more tranied human recruits and with less clones in the legion they have less "on the job" traning and this overall will make the troopers less tranied over all compared to the clones.

Now the veterans, survivors generally make it to elite units like the 501st and others, again making most legions again at best well to very well tranied but with little to no actual experince, meaning green troops.

Now add in the nepotism of the officers both in the army and the navy and how their incompetance futher leads to the decline in the stormtrooper legion's combat efficiency.

Again here we will have genuine elite units, where the veterans and survivors will be funneled into as stated above.

Now it we furher look into the movies, the animated series and many novels, and even the majority of comics we can eaily be left with the point of view that possibly over time the stomtroopers actually came to replace the regular army, reducing this to maybe more specialized units only, like sharpshooters/snipers such as migs mayfied.

We futher see this replacement somewhat in "solo" where we find on the battlefied a mix of the army "mud troopers" and the wetland stomtroopers, with the army troops sharing many of the bucket head armor features, but is still 8 or so years prior to battle of yavin.

The animated series alseo mostly show and focus on the stomtroopers, and
some even count AT AT drivers as specialized stormtroopers, where the only actual army or not stomrtrooper units seen are the AT ST drivers, and when we see the emperor/vader arrive and the forces are on parade.

Furher we see this with the continuation and the first order, we see no army troops that are not in some way stomtroopers.

Mandalorian and Boba Fett, even Obi Wan shows the same thing, ver few if any "army troopers" with the appreance that the regular troopers by this time is the stomtroopers, and what is left of any "army troops" would be sniperas and special forces of sorts and very limited in numbers.

and if we then look at the "elite" status of the stomtroopers we can argue that yes they were, some are, most are not.

We can argue that Vader's forces that boarded the Tative were very elite, they were extremly accurate, took little lossees and appeared many many tiers above other trooper we have seen perfomance wise.

We can the aslo argu favorably that Obi Wan, having dealt with the earlier generation troops would have delt with more elite troops and his reference to the accuracy could then be in that reference and that this were vader's forces who are elite among the stomtroopers.

This brings us to the DS and the lack of accuracy, again I view this as the opposite, these are very elite troops, and yes they are ordered to allow the rebels to escape, shotting accrdingly, driving, herding, leading the rebels to the ship and their escape so they can be tracked.

These however are the extreme examples of the stormtroopers being "elite" by 0BBY/ABY

So to me the stormtroopers seem to be by 0BBY no longer the elite corps they were originally but has become much due to the tarkin doctrine and the visibility and fear of the armor, have become the standard imperial line infantry with the elite status by this time reserved only for very few stomtrooper units and even individuals.

So I argue that the Stormtrooper are elite and are not elite at the same time depending on their unit basically

Any thoughts?
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see tour logic here. And I can go along with it too.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: On the bucket heads again. Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I have began to view the classic bucket heads in a slightly new way... So I argue that the Stormtrooper are elite and are not elite at the same time depending on their unit basically

Any thoughts?

That mostly makes sense to me. This is somewhat what I have been saying for a while. The stormtrooper branch may be considered "elite" but that is relative. There are truly elite stormtroopers among the whole.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think too that the true elite Stormtroopers would have better armor than the rank and file stormies.

Mamatried, where do we see regular Army or Navy troopers in the classic films?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I would think too that the true elite Stormtroopers would have better armor than the rank and file stormies.

Mamatried, where do we see regular Army or Navy troopers in the classic films?

I am not so sure about the armor pr say, but I would think there is a familiarity ladder with the armors, eventually to a degree negating any movement .

if we do look to the units like Nova troopers, ( not the nova corps of the GAR) we see the balck/gold armors looking cool in color but being the same as any oher armor, but the trooper inside is superbly tranined.

Also it is common for the top tier units to have access to more custom and mission spesific equipment.

As to Navy troopers and regular army troopers we see the former more than the latter.

I am not if the mimbab mud troopers are regular army, but rather specilaized army units, since they seem to work side by side by the stromtroopers and they wear comparative armor and gear.
We do not se Army troopers in many other aspects outside later meeting Migs Mayfield, a person who stated not that he was an army trooper but a sharpshooter, meaning according the doctrine of the empire, he was special mission trooper, or army special forces if you will.

the rank and file army trooper we have not seen much if any at all.

As to the navy we can specuslte that many og he security troos on the ships, DS and the bases they are on, the black clad helmeted troopers are the closest I see to Navy Troopers, again we see this in very limited combat roles , leaving still most if not all ground combat roles as pr star wars movies and live action, are stromtroopers only, we do not see army ot navy troopers as pd the imperal military handbook etc
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were plenty of army and navy troopers aboard the Death Star and aboard Star Destroyers in the CT.

Basically the guys wearing helmets (as opposed to the officers). An example.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
There were plenty of army and navy troopers aboard the Death Star and aboard Star Destroyers in the CT.

Basically the guys wearing helmets (as opposed to the officers). An example.

We have never seen any in a direct combat role othe than some gunners indide the DS during one of the battles.

We also have the prison deck and the endor base security, but still thesre are "line combat troops" and not even what we can consdier naval infantry.

so while we do see ship crew, we do not more than maybe one or two scenes on 9 movies ever see any combat troops that is not a stormtrooper of some sort

and yes the mud troopers in solo is something mybe in between but even there we see the line being more or less stormtroopers.

this makes sense too as the GAR military was more or less only "armored troopers" and I am sure the empire would have planetary armys and uch as defensive forces, but do we ever see combat not being stomtroopers or "armed crew" and no the armed truck driver is not the same as the infantryman even if both fires a rifle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: