The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obi-Wan Kenobi [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Obi-Wan Kenobi [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yeah, I blurted out to my family, "How does she know that?!" Before that, it had been my wife who was making frequent outbursts to the TV. She had a lot of anxiety watching Obi-Wan with Leia. "Why is he not holding her hand?" Etc.

There were at least three moments where I went "Pick her up, already!" Would've made things easier for him, at least.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

A record? Why would that be on record? Anakin Skywalker was officially a traitor who also betrayed the Republic, so Vader's identity as Anakin Skywalker was a closely held secret. In the Empire, the Jedi Temple was closed to the public and just a personal Jedi museum for Palpatine because he takes great pleasure in the Revenge of the Sith. But maybe Vader allowed his Inquisitors access to the Temple to get to know their enemies better, and while she was there she looked up security recordings and saw Anakin.

Reasons unknown.
But this is the record I linked above where Obi Wan sees Emperor calling Anakin. If she dug it up from any secret archives, should would gain knowledge about the true identity of Vader.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to third sister knowing about vader and anakin. Here is my take on it, she don't, but says this becuse she wants to manipulate, she have studies her enemy, she know their ways, as she says they hun themsevels.

So she tries to get into his head with mentioning first Darth vader in the way she did, and Obi Wan really does not react on that, she them tries to get into his head again, manipulate, force a reaction that will make him show himself, she does this with saysing anakin is alive, knowing from her mostlikelu studies that Oni wan "killed" him.

We can assume this means she had knowledge that anakin is vader, but we can also assume from the above that she does not, and only when she caiims that Anakin is alive does Obi Wan, who whil hidden would be somehwat in tough with some people, the organa beeper was not hidden as much as simply stored, znc from this he would then understand that vader is anakin
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, concerning Third Sister and how she knew Anakin was Vader, I agree with the notion that she probably saw the same cam footage of Palpatine addressing Anakin as Vader that Obi-Wan and Yoda saw in RotS. It's been established that Third Sister had access to the Jedi Archives, so it's very plausible that she found that footage (among a good many other tidbits of useful information as well). Over the last ten years that the Inquisitorius has been active, she must have interacted with Vader, either in-person or by hologram communication, numerous times.

And when she finally found the info in the Archives of Vader and Anakin being the same person, she probably thought to herself, "Sithspit! Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker!? No wonder Lord Vader is so obsessed with finding Obi-Wan Kenobi! If I can deliver Kenobi to Vader, he'd be grateful enough to make me Grand Inquisitor! That would certainly teach the rest of the Inquisitorius to look down on me for my low origins!"

So it makes sense that she's after Kenobi not just for the glory and power she'd get for turning him in to Vader, but also for revenge against the rest of the Inquisitorius for pettily looking down on her.

And yeah, Grand Inquisitor ain't dead, because we see him later in Rebels. He's Saved By Canon.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't think it would be public either, but maybe Obi-Wan could have deduced from observation (or felt with the Force) that Inquisitors were former padawans.

I don't believe he could have "felt with the Force". It's pretty clear that he has cut himself off from the Force (likely to not draw attention to himself in hiding), much like Luke did in the DT later. I think that's why the scene with Leia falling was made to be so dramatic. Kenobi reaching out and using the Force for the first time in (likely) quite a few years, as if using a muscle he hasn't exercised in a decade or so.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the show - it was NOT what I expected - and I can say, if I was not able to shift my expectations a bit - I could have been disappointed.

Not exactly sure what I was expecting - but I like the slow burn of it - and showing just how deep obiwan has fallen into himself. Also, really like the fact that we are getting a more leia centric view than making it all about luke - the little girl really nails a young leia in my mind.

Regarding Reva - not sure about her - I suspect either she blames obiwan for vader and order 66, OR she wants revenge on vader (since she was a youngling during order 66 - we see her in the flashback)- and getting obiwan will get her close to vader - kind of like how in the movie Hero, jet-li's character pretends to hunt fugitives to get close to the emperor to assassinate him.

I also like all the easter eggs and references - from the mention of Quinlan voss (one of my favorite sw characters - the darkhorse comic series on him is amazing - highly recommended) to the shuttle from rogue one in the background.

Finally, I also like the tiny bits of perspective on the life of the average citizen - unless you have felt the tyranny of the empire first hand - it is conceivable to be satisficed with "order" - both Freck and Tala's lines I think add a lot to the nuances of the setting.

It is fine that some people like it, and some don't - I can absolutely see if someone was expecting something else they could easily be disappointed.

Looking forward to more...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I really like the show - it was NOT what I expected - and I can say, if I was not able to shift my expectations a bit - I could have been disappointed.
It is fine that some people like it, and some don't - I can absolutely see if someone was expecting something else they could easily be disappointed.

It's fine that some don't like it. It's also "fine" that people hate things with a passion if they want. But it's still sad that fan expectation is self-defeating mechanism in this franchise, and has been ever since 1999. Lucas gave Vader a different origin story than fans had imagined for years, so many fans couldn't wrap their heads around Lucas' concept and hated it. I expected a coherent sequel trilogy worthy of expanding Lucas' saga, so I was disappointed with the DT.

And expectation both ways can make things sour. If you expect greatness and get your hopes up too much that something will be awesome, you can indeed feel let down when it isn't. If you expect something will be horrible but watch it anyway, that can become a self-fulling prophecy as you look at it (perhaps unconsciously) through the lens of justifying your prejudice and seeing only the bad in it.

Kudos to you and anyone that didn't have expectations or were able to find away to move past them to enjoy Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anymore, I try to keep my expectations low but at the same time not sabotage any chance of enjoying something. I try to give things a chance.

The pre-expectation for Obi-Wan Kenobi that I had run into a lot was from the lack of fans being able to imagine a possible plot that could plausibly give Obi-Wan a reason to leave Tatooine, and thus assuming there is no possible story that wouldn't suck. That was never an issue for me. I trusted that it was at least possible that they could conceive a good reason beyond my imagination. And they did. Luke's twin sister was kidnapped and in peril, and she didn't have a Jedi Master watching over her as Luke did. I truly feel like the producers actually considered that fans wouldn't accept just any old contrivance, and realized that the most plausible reason Obi-Wan would (very reluctantly) leave Luke would be for Leia. They even had Obi-Wan refuse the initial request and only later relent after Bail Organa sneaked to Tatooine to beg Obi-Wan in person. Well, since the show started I haven't heard a single complaint about Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine since the show started, so maybe that expectation didn't ruin it for too many people.

After this series, we will have to evaluate how it sounds when Leia's ANH hologram addresses Obi-Wan as someone that served with her father in the Clone Wars, without any reference to her adventure she had with Kenobi in her childhood. But there is already no more question why she would name her son Ben.

Quote:
Also, really like the fact that we are getting a more leia centric view than making it all about luke - the little girl really nails a young leia in my mind.

I agree.

Quote:
I also like all the easter eggs and references - from the mention of Quinlan voss (one of my favorite sw characters - the darkhorse comic series on him is amazing - highly recommended) to the shuttle from rogue one in the background.

I'm still hopping for a better look at Flea's goon who was the first live action Falleen. Perhaps there will be a behind-the-scenes photo at some point. And I thought it was neat that they canonized Obi-Wan having a brother (even though it is probably not Owen Lars as it was in the original RotJ novelization).

Quote:
Finally, I also like the tiny bits of perspective on the life of the average citizen - unless you have felt the tyranny of the empire first hand - it is conceivable to be satisficed with "order" - both Freck and Tala's lines I think add a lot to the nuances of the setting.

Yes. One thing that stands out to me so far as is that there aren't a lot of average citizens of the galaxy dressed like Obi-Wan. When Lucas was asked why Owen Lars seems to be wearing Jedi clothes in ANH, the answer was that the Jedi wore the clothes of the common folk of the galaxy. Now that Obi-Wan is on the run, it seems like he would stand out more if no one else around him is dressed like him. I'm not trying to nit pick. It is just something that popped into my mind while I was watching.

So far, my issues with the series are very minor and I am happy to give the whole series a chance before making any judgments. Halfway though, I am enjoying this too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

After this series, we will have to evaluate how it sounds when Leia's ANH hologram addresses Obi-Wan as someone that served with her father in the Clone Wars, without any reference to her adventure she had with Kenobi in her childhood.

Well, given the seriousness of a situation (survival of the Rebellion) it's no wonder she'd addressed him in most official way, referring to his days of glory and service during Clone Wars.

Yet, she immediately knew that Ben is Obi Wan when Luke freed her from the prison cell (and Luke did not as we know). Of course Bail could have told her of Obi Wan, brave Jedi Master but I doubt he would risk revealing Jedi's secret alter ego - Ben. So the series fills it up quite nicely, IMHO.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the note of expectations....

I really like the show, but as mentioned earlier - I had very different expectations - and I had to adjust my perspective.

It was not that they were "high" before and I had to set them "low".

It was I was had in mind something about the adventures of obi-wan - the cool character from the clone wars animated series who could do amazing things - and the calm confident older guy from Ep4. I thought it would be more action and adventure....

Bu that was not it ....at all.

Instead, I got a slow paced story about an isolated war veteran, who is haunted by the ghosts of his past - dealing with self doubt, depression, a lack of confidence - and on top of that - possibly ptsd. This is a damaged man living in the shadows of his past - and has to face them in the most horrible ways.

It is kind of like expecting an exciting action packed war movie when going to see Apocalypse Now or The Deer Hunter.

I was able to make this shift - and then pleasantly surprised by the other things it included - such as more of a focus on leia than luke, windows into other places in the galaxy, more droids, ships, peoples - and interesting perspectives on what some people thought about the empire ("order is a good thing"...).

So, while this was not the series I was expecting (or hoping for) - it is a good story - just different than I was thinking.

On a gaming related note, this is the EXACT timeframe of my current SW D6 campaign - and the party are all ex-clone wars jedi veterans - trying to figure out how to survive and what is going on in this strange and deadly world. So really like the portrayal of "life in the empire" kind of thing.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILER FOR ENDING: Neither Obi Wan nor Leia Dies at the end of the show
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Obi-Wan Kenobi Reply with quote

Scorucebook for ep 1&2

All stats in D6

Link: https://swrpggm.com/obi-wan-kenobi-s01e01-tbd/
Ziz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

Luke, Vader, Owen and Beru all live, too.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

Luke, Vader, Owen and Beru all live, too.

Don't forget the the Organas and the Grand Inquisitor.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

Spoiler Alert: in 10 years, Owen, Beru, Ben, Bail, and dang near every Alderaanian you see in Ep. 1 are dead.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've put off watching OB1K, due to my unhappiness with BOBF.

I finally sat down and watched episode 1 of OB1K last night. This is my thoughts ONLY on the 1st episode.

I thought it was pretty good. It captured Ben's depression and lack of hope. I heard a lot of complaints about 3rd Sister, but as of now, she's interesting. The Leia chase was cringy, making the kidnappers look childrens-show level incompetent. Owen was captured well, and you quickly get his dislike of Ben and totally understand why. I do find it funny that out of a million-million worlds, everyone ends up on Tatooine. It's like, hey Jedi, this planet is taken, move along....

We'll see how episodes 2 and 3 turn out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: