The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rebel Sentries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Rebel Sentries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Rebel Sentries Reply with quote

Quote:
Rebel Sentries
Personnel who monitored incoming and departing starships and kept watch for Imperial scouts and other hazards from the top of a recon-tower near the Massassi Temple.

Rebel Sentries: All stats 1D+2 except for: Blaster 3D, Dodge 3D, Intimidation 3D, Mechanical 2D+2, Communications 3D+2, Repulsorlift Operation 3D+2, Sensors 4D, Perception 3D, Strength 2D+2, Brawling 3D, Climbing/Jumping 3D, Stamina 3D. Move: 10. Equipment: Blaster rifle (5D), Rebel uniform (+1D physical, +1 energy), communications/sensors helmet (+1D physical, +1 energy; +1D to communications and sensor skill checks), military comlink.
Source: Stats by Emperor Ollie
Appearance: Star Wars: Battlefront (2004)

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could do with a search skill too.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Could do with a search skill too.

I thought about this, but as presented in ANH I figured the were more about sensors and possibly communication skills. Though a search skill wouldn't be bad either. Say, search 3D+2?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the thought process on them being below human average on everything except Mechanical and Strength? Why would they have below average human Dexterity and Perception?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What's the thought process on them being below human average on everything except Mechanical and Strength? Why would they have below average human Dexterity and Perception?

They were based on the attributes given to other standard Rebel/New Republic stats by WEG. I am guessing that the minimum stats are for PC's and not for NPCs. In the past I have tried to make NPCs built on 12D. I suppose one could go on the working mechanic that all NPCs have 2D in all stats and that variation would be skills and associated dice pools. Otherwise you have to drop a stat below 2D in order to raise another above 2D. Perhaps NPCs are built on 15D instead of 12D?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Whill wrote:

They were based on the attributes given to other standard Rebel/New Republic stats by WEG. I am guessing that the minimum stats are for PC's and not for NPCs. In the past I have tried to make NPCs built on 12D. I suppose one could go on the working mechanic that all NPCs have 2D in all stats and that variation would be skills and associated dice pools. Otherwise you have to drop a stat below 2D in order to raise another above 2D. Perhaps NPCs are built on 15D instead of 12D?

Thanks. That explains a lot. Some WEG authors definitely did proceed from the false premise that non-PC-level NPCs must equal the total average species attribute dice, such as 12D for many species including humans. There was actually no such rule and that is a misunderstanding of the game system.

NPCs can and should have any number of attribute dice as appropriate for each NPC. 12D, 15D, 20D, 13D+2, whatever. For humans, you have the benchmarks of PCs having 18D total and a completely average attribute being 2D. Some authors get this, and for NPCs that should be a little better than average in some ways, they usually stat them out as "2D in all skills and attributes except..." and specify the stats that are better. For all those NPCs, there was no attempt to "balance" them out to a certain total attribute die code value. Sure, there will still be some characters with some below average attributes, like the module that had "bumbling bounty hunters". I wouldn't think Rebel Sentries would be "bumbling" in any way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a lot of mileage out of the 225 page fan-made Non-Player Character PDF, myself.

I love how - for each type of NPC you might encounter - you get a "standard" version, but then most of them also get an "Experienced", "Veteran", and "Elite" version as well. The Attributes are often the same for each version, but they become more skilled the more experienced they are.

So if I'm looking for a Rebel Soldier, or a Bartender, or whatever, I can pick one and the work is mostly done for me already. I can then tweak slightly if I wish.

FWIW, comparing a few chosen at random, the Attributes total out to:

Rebel Soldier 12D+2
Hutt Merchant 14D
Knights Swoop Gang Member 14D
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
Whill wrote:

Thanks. That explains a lot. Some WEG authors definitely did proceed from the false premise that non-PC-level NPCs must equal the total average species attribute dice, such as 12D for many species including humans. There was actually no such rule and that is a misunderstanding of the game system.

NPCs can and should have any number of attribute dice as appropriate for each NPC. 12D, 15D, 20D, 13D+2, whatever. For humans, you have the benchmarks of PCs having 18D total and a completely average attribute being 2D. Some authors get this, and for NPCs that should be a little better than average in some ways, they usually stat them out as "2D in all skills and attributes except..." and specify the stats that are better. For all those NPCs, there was no attempt to "balance" them out to a certain total attribute die code value. Sure, there will still be some characters with some below average attributes, like the module that had "bumbling bounty hunters". I wouldn't think Rebel Sentries would be "bumbling" in any way.

I forgot the thread i posted them in, but looking at the NPC reb spec forecs vs normal troopers, and similarly with naval troopers vs stormies, they seemed rather... Bland.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I wouldn't think Rebel Sentries would be "bumbling" in any way.

Rebel Sentries: All stats 2D except for: blaster 3D+1, dodge 3D+1, intimidation 3D+1, Mechanical 2D+2, communications 3D+2, repulsorlift operation 3D+2, sensors 4D, Perception 3D+1, search 4D, Strength 3D, brawling 3D+1, climbing/jumping 3D+1, stamina 3D+1. Move: 10. Equipment: Blaster rifle (5D), Rebel uniform (+1D physical, +1 energy), communications/sensors helmet (+1D physical, +1 energy; +1D to communications and sensor skill checks), military comlink. Source: Stats by Emperor Ollie.
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu May 26, 2022 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks much better...
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That looks much better...

Agreed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: