The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

NeuroSaav 2C-2S Technical Suit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> NeuroSaav 2C-2S Technical Suit Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: NeuroSaav 2C-2S Technical Suit Reply with quote

Here is a technical suit which supports computer programming/repair, security and wireless computer and droids communication for a technician in Corporate Sector. The suit has use in high-tech level worlds. In low-tech level worlds it might be useless.
I was trying to design it based on official supplements, but i had to add some modules. This actually led me to a question - how virtual reality is called in Star Wars universe? Mayby you have encountered any mention about it in official supplements? All comments are welcome.

Back to the gear.
NeuroSaav 2C-2S technical suit is equipped with integrated Microthrust mainframe computer, datapad, modified TerexComm DataSearch 9C integrated with Unitech Diagnostic System Diverter “Patch”. Computer system data-link allows to link with 5 computer systems and is combined with modified droid interface allowing to communicate directly with droids (one at the time). State of the art Helmet Package provides two modules: (a) holoprojector display module to display touchscreen and keyboard in front of the user; (b) virtual reality googles to slice through security systems. It also includes a hands-free internal wide-range comlink. Gloves allow to operate in virtual reality and fingertips allow to operate on projected keyboard or touchscreen depending on set display mode. The suit is powered by internally distributed energy cells.
All elements have modified design and are built in the suit, distributed in the suit to balance the weight and limit dexterity as little as possible. Therefore prices of suit modules are much higher than the same equipment sold separately on the market.
Important. The suit is vulnerable to energy damage, therefore usually the user is not operating alone and is protected by properly equipped and trained team.

Cost:
Model: 2C-2S1, Mainframe: 2D, Memmory: 10D, Cost (legal source): 96 000, Cost (black market): 200000, Availability: 2,R
Model: 2C-2S2, Mainframe: 3D, Memmory: 12D, Cost (legal source): 120 000, Cost (black market): 250000, Availability: 2,R
Model: 2C-2S3, Mainframe: 4D, Memmory: 16D, Cost (legal source): 150 000, Cost (black market): 300000, Availability: 2,R
Model: 2C-2S4, Mainframe: 5D, Memmory: 20D, Cost (legal source): 200 000, Cost (black market): 400000, Availability: 4,X

Availability: Basic model 2C-2S1 availability is 2, R - restricted to governments,
Empire strictly tracks distribution of all models of 2C-S2 suit.
Manufacturer: Neuro-Saav

Constraints: It requires Computer programming/repair and security on 5D to operate the suit efficiently. Otherwise it provides only half of modifiers rounded down.

Modifiers.
+2 to resist physical damage, -2D against energy (means additional 2D damage after being hit with energy weapon), -2 from Dexterity and all Dexterity related actions
+2D Computer programming/repair
+3D+2 Computer programming/repair when searching for information
+1D Communication using data-link
+2D Security when slicing through security code using virtual reality
+2D Security when searching for information
+2D+2 security when re-routing any security or similar programming so that a break cannot be detected

Mainframe:
(1) Microthrust Portable Computer with 2D Power and 10D memory, provides +2D to Computer programming/repair (suit module cost: 35000) (might be upgraded, but consumes more energy, check internal power supply below (8))

DataSearch:
(2) Modified TerexComm DataSearch 9C - An Easy computer programming/repair roll is required to connect the unit. When connected, it adds 1D+2 to the character's computer programming/repair skill and 2D to the character's security skill when used to search for information. (Skill: Computer programming/repair, Security) (suit module cost: 3000)

Communication/Interface:
(3) Computer system data-links - Link with 5 computers, range – 100 meters (suit module cost: 3000)
(4) Modified Neuro-Saav Cyborg-Droid Interface allows Suit to communicate with a droid using data-link (suit module cost: 2000)

Security/Encryption:
(5) Helmet with gloves - holoprojector display module, virtual reality googles module, commlink, virtual reality gloves with fingertips module calibrated with holoprojector. +2D Security when slicing through security code using virtual reality. (suit module cost: 25000)
(6) UniTech Network Diagnostic Systems Diverter - when applied to a computer system or network, re-routes any security or similar programming so that a break cannot be detected. The UniTech “Patch” emulates the signal and responses of the damaged system, effectively tricking the system into thinking the subsystem is unaffected. The patch requires a Moderate computer programming/repair roll to apply, and adds 1D+2 to the character's security or relevant skill. Unlike standard UniTech “Patch” it does not require use of any slave unit. It only requires to connect via data-link interface to any system or network. (Skill: Computer programming/repair) (suit module cost: 10000)
(7) AccuTronics Encryption Package - datafile encryption device. Any datafile encrypted with the AccuTronics Package gains a +5 modifier to its difficulty number to be found, and requires a Moderate computer programming/repair roll to crack the encrypt code if the password is known. (Skill: Computer programming/repair) (suit module cost: 2000)

Power Source:
(8) Internal Power Supply - An internal power supply allows integrated equipment to have power from energy cells distributed in the suit’s arms, legs, torso. However, the largest drawback to this upgrade is its unmistakable power signature. Anyone making a sensors roll, or using any hand-held or vehicle scanners will gain a +1D to detect a character using the suit. Power cells can be recharged 20 times, charging time of one cell is 12 h using commonly available charger. Dedicated charger (item cost 500) will charge one cell in 6h. The practice among users is to change cells at least once a year. (suit module cost: internal power supply with 10 cells costs 12000, spare cell cost 1500).

Mainframe computer power: 2D, Energy usage (all systems on): 240 h, Energy usage (standard): 300+10D6 h
Mainframe computer power: 3D, Energy usage (all systems on): 200 h, Energy usage (standard): 250+10D6 h
Mainframe computer power: 4D, Energy usage (all systems on): 160 h, Energy usage (standard): 200+10D6 h
Mainframe computer power: 5D, Energy usage (all systems on): 120 h, Energy usage (standard): 150+10D6 h

(9) Suit
Modified Combat Jumpsuit. Suit is very vulnerable to energy weapon damage. Adds +2 to resist physical damage, -2D against energy (means additional 2D damage after being hit with energy weapon, so if blaster damage is 5D, the suit user takes 7D damage), -2 from Dexterity and all Dexterity related actions. (suit module cost: 2000)

Source of information:
Microthrust Portable Computer – Cracken’s Rebel Field Guide, p.10
Neuro-Saav Cyborg/Droid Interface - Cracken’s Rebel Field Guide, p.34
Terex Comm DataSearch 9C - Gundark’s Fantastic Technology Personal Gear, p.93.
Unitech - Gundark’s Fantastic Technology Personal Gear, p.94.
AccuTronics - Gundark’s Fantastic Technology Personal Gear, p.96.
Datapads holographic projector (only mentioned) – The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2nd ed. Revised, p.226
Combat Jumpsuit – Rules of Engagement: The Rebel Specforce Handbook, p.33
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there is virtual reality in the SWU. The closest we get is Lobot, and there's no indication that he's VR'ing, just that he has a computer plugged into his brain. However, the idea of a holo-based control system for a computer device isn't outside the realm of possibility.

This is an intriguing idea - like bounty hunter armor, but for techs - but the wording is a little dense, and I'm not sure I'm grasping all the rules. For one, I'm not really seeing why it would provide less protection against energy for the wearer. I can see how damage to the armor could affect the integrated systems, but IMO, that would be more along the lines of the Damaged Armor rules (2R&E pg. 95).

I'd also like a little clarification on how the Mainframe / Memory rules work. I recall Memory from Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, but Mainframe is new to me.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest i remember to anything remotely for VR, was helmet goggles to let someone get a feel for being in a fighter (when they were in a trainer).. Ala what Iceheart tried to do to Corran and Tycho... I've never heard of anything in SW, about computers being hackable at range....
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The closest i remember to anything remotely for VR, was helmet goggles to let someone get a feel for being in a fighter (when they were in a trainer).. Ala what Iceheart tried to do to Corran and Tycho... I've never heard of anything in SW, about computers being hackable at range....

Well there is one master remote hacking tool in the SWU. Have you heard or read about Master Command Unit (Gundark's Fantastic Technology p. 93)?
Master Command Unit
"The master control unit is a small flat instrument usually worn on a belt. [...] they can be programmed to master any signal within 300 meter
range, more if receptor circuitry is used to extend its power. [...] With this unit a person simply switched on the code slicer and takeover machinery to catch the signals of a specific system. When the light was green, a numbered button was pressed which then became the new controller for the system. It
could be used to control every day items like lights or as an audio receiver, or it could be used to manipulate mass security systems. In the wrong
hands it could destroy a government."

Maybe the helmet and googles you mention refer to Declination Mental Combat Game (Galadinium's Fantastic Technology, p.49), which seems to be kind of mix of virtual reality with neural control interface.
"The actual maneuvering, and indeed the power behind the game itself,is what sets it apart. Each declination game controller is controlled by the player's thought instead of mere manual reflexes! Headset controllers react at speed of thought, propelling the holographic ships through an incredibly intricate asteroid field.
Game notes: Characters may use either starfighter piloting and starship gunnery or Perception to play. Difficulties for navigating the asteroid field... Actual combat rolls are opposed skill rolls, with additional modifiers based on the difficulty of the terrain."

If you look into Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, on pages 32 and 33, presented there Biotech Borg and Cyborg/Computer System Data-Links are in my opinion giving possibility to hack systems. Biotech Borg allows to give simple commands. For data-link it states that cyborgs can manipulate simple operations on a ship, such as things that the computer normally handles by itself. So, if a system manages a large quantities of data, and provides access to them as standard process, it can be hacked using data-link. What is strictly excluded are sophisticated operations like piloting and gunnery.

In Gundarks Fantastic Technology, on page 92 it is mentioned that "For ease of use, datapads can be hooked up to audio or retinal controllers so
the user can control the machine with voice or eye motion, leaving the hands free for other duties." So if it is possible to control datapad with eye motion it is possible that user requires user interface, possible even more into Augmented Reality.

So looks like there are some possibilities.
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm not sure there is virtual reality in the SWU. The closest we get is Lobot, and there's no indication that he's VR'ing, just that he has a computer plugged into his brain. However, the idea of a holo-based control system for a computer device isn't outside the realm of possibility.

This is an intriguing idea - like bounty hunter armor, but for techs - but the wording is a little dense, and I'm not sure I'm grasping all the rules. For one, I'm not really seeing why it would provide less protection against energy for the wearer. I can see how damage to the armor could affect the integrated systems, but IMO, that would be more along the lines of the Damaged Armor rules (2R&E pg. 95).

I'd also like a little clarification on how the Mainframe / Memory rules work. I recall Memory from Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, but Mainframe is new to me.

I start with the increased damage. I have envisioned the suit as having a huge number of compartments where different modules and their parts are distributed. Everything is wired and there are 10 powerful cells all over the body to power up the whole system. The suit is like an electric wrapper over the user body. Additional damage from energy follows the idea of overheating power cells after blaster hit which would overcharge the whole system and cause cell explosion or at least burn damage.

The main idea behind the suit was to provide computer/security technicians with more options during sessions. I have reviewed what is available in the official supplements and combined it into suit as an option to being a cyborg. I have added the VR option as an experiment. I think the key here is to keep the balance. The VR is a nice option for Corporate Sector to show how technologically advanced it is.
Standard technician will carry most of the staff in his/her backpack anyway. The difference is that you will now not need to connect to the system and stay put in one place (while rest of the team is running and fighting). Here we gain option to move but it comes for a price of the damage vulnerability.

The technical explanations are taken from supplements. I have tried to simplify them a bit. The concept of the mainframe is that one of portable computers (the one from Cracken's Field Guide) is modified (actually rebuild) and changed into mainframe to which every other module is plugged. I did not want to get into to many details as it all is kept on very general level in the supplements.
The mainframe does the same as portable computer - gives bonus modifier to computer programming/repair tests.

Large memory is equivalent to high knowledge attribute. I remember they mention about it in one of supplements. D number refers to storage capacity, which actually was quite clever as it does not outdate and look silly in comparison with our technology progress.

To my understanding the authors of SW distinguished datapads - kind of modern tablets or mobiles, data search computers which nowadays we would treat as powerful search engines with good RAM and the portable computers with powerfull CPU's and harddrive storage for computer programming and systems operations which can be used instead of droids.
Artificial intelligence is also mentioned referring to computers in the supplements but without any further details, so i did not go into that direction, leaving that strictly to droids.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten-20-Three wrote:

Well there is one master remote hacking tool in the SWU. Have you heard or read about Master Command Unit (Gundark's Fantastic Technology p. 93)?
Master Command Unit
"The master control unit is a small flat instrument usually worn on a belt. [...] they can be programmed to master any signal within 300 meter
range, more if receptor circuitry is used to extend its power. [...] With this unit a person simply switched on the code slicer and takeover machinery to catch the signals of a specific system. When the light was green, a numbered button was pressed which then became the new controller for the system. It
could be used to control every day items like lights or as an audio receiver, or it could be used to manipulate mass security systems. In the wrong
hands it could destroy a government."

Been a while since i read it, so no, i don't off the top of my head, remember that.

Ten-20-Three wrote:

Maybe the helmet and googles you mention refer to Declination Mental Combat Game (Galadinium's Fantastic Technology, p.49), which seems to be kind of mix of virtual reality with neural control interface.
"The actual maneuvering, and indeed the power behind the game itself,is what sets it apart. Each declination game controller is controlled by the player's thought instead of mere manual reflexes! Headset controllers react at speed of thought, propelling the holographic ships through an incredibly intricate asteroid field.
Game notes: Characters may use either starfighter piloting and starship gunnery or Perception to play. Difficulties for navigating the asteroid field... Actual combat rolls are opposed skill rolls, with additional modifiers based on the difficulty of the terrain."

Na, it was something from the X-wing novel, where Corran is prisoner of Iceheart on Lusankya...

Ten-20-Three wrote:

If you look into Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, on pages 32 and 33, presented there Biotech Borg and Cyborg/Computer System Data-Links are in my opinion giving possibility to hack systems. Biotech Borg allows to give simple commands. For data-link it states that cyborgs can manipulate simple operations on a ship, such as things that the computer normally handles by itself. So, if a system manages a large quantities of data, and provides access to them as standard process, it can be hacked using data-link. What is strictly excluded are sophisticated operations like piloting and gunnery.

In Gundarks Fantastic Technology, on page 92 it is mentioned that "For ease of use, datapads can be hooked up to audio or retinal controllers so
the user can control the machine with voice or eye motion, leaving the hands free for other duties." So if it is possible to control datapad with eye motion it is possible that user requires user interface, possible even more into Augmented Reality.

So looks like there are some possibilities.

Maybe that's a benefit, specific TO those who are cyborged though.. Not a general feature of tech.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten-20-Three wrote:
I have envisioned the suit as having a huge number of compartments where different modules and their parts are distributed. Everything is wired and there are 10 powerful cells all over the body to power up the whole system. The suit is like an electric wrapper over the user body. Additional damage from energy follows the idea of overheating power cells after blaster hit which would overcharge the whole system and cause cell explosion or at least burn damage.

The problem I have here is that non-combat industrial accidents happen, too, so this suit is going to become wildly unpopular to the potential wearers if it quadruples (which is essentially what a -2D modifier is) the chance of taking damage if, say, the electrical main you're working on happens to blow it. This is the sort of gimmick that gets revealed as a major design flaw and is phased out in the subsequent redesign (usually accompanied by a mass recall and lawsuits for wrongful death), with the power cells being moved to a backpack mounted unit or something less hazardous to the wearer.

Quote:
The mainframe does the same as portable computer - gives bonus modifier to computer programming/repair tests.

Large memory is equivalent to high knowledge attribute. I remember they mention about it in one of supplements. D number refers to storage capacity, which actually was quite clever as it does not outdate and look silly in comparison with our technology progress.

I can... sort of see where you're going with this, but you really need to have better established rules for how it works, and not just give it dice values with no rule structure for how they're applicable. And frankly, a wearable device that provides a +5D bonus to Computer Programming / Repair is pretty over-the-top.

Quote:
To my understanding the authors of SW distinguished datapads - kind of modern tablets or mobiles, data search computers which nowadays we would treat as powerful search engines with good RAM and the portable computers with powerfull CPU's and harddrive storage for computer programming and systems operations which can be used instead of droids.
Artificial intelligence is also mentioned referring to computers in the supplements but without any further details, so i did not go into that direction, leaving that strictly to droids.

The only supplement to really deal with data storage was Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, which essentially made computers and data storage software into droid personalities without droid bodies. A data storage chip, for example, was essentially a droid personality with a highly limited scope of Knowledge on a single subject, to the point where they were able to extrapolate conclusions based on incomplete data, essentially thinking for themselves.

My thinking is that your mainframe/memory combo is better set up like a wearable miniature droid, something along the lines of Blue Max in the Han Solo Trilogy. That way, you can assign it tasks to perform independent of the wearer (thus offsetting MAP penalties), along with a selection of tools that provide bonuses that are usable by either the droid personality or the wearer.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish that whole "D" of data, crakens came up with, got expanded on.. WHAT exactly is say 4d of data, in actual terms/ IS it equal to say 5gig? one meg?

And yea, a suit giving potentially 5d+2 BONUS to computer programming, without even having to be NEAR the computer, is way up there...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I really wish that whole "D" of data, crakens came up with, got expanded on.. WHAT exactly is say 4d of data, in actual terms/ IS it equal to say 5gig? one meg?

But what value would that information have insofar as gameplay? At least a D rating is a usable value for relative ability. What is "5 gig's of data" on a tabletop, apart from fluff?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

But what value would that information have insofar as gameplay? At least a D rating is a usable value for relative ability. What is "5 gig's of data" on a tabletop, apart from fluff?

True about real world equivalencies, but there was a practical aspect to the die codes. Datafiles are on a certain subject and have die code values which are like Knowledge skill codes. You rolled the computer skill to access the file, and then once successful accessed you ask a question. The GM comes up with a difficulty for that question and file data subject, and you roll the datafile's die code to see if you get your answer (or how quickly). It's sort of an early take on skill specializations, but in computer files. The Death Star plans were said to be a 10D file.

One interesting concept for datafiles to work off of the randomness inherent in dice rolling for information (that should either be there or not) are HDT applications, which are low-level AI in the files that will answer with educated guesses based on the information they have. The higher the die code means the more information and the better chance of getting a good guess. Basically, something a bit smarter than Alexa. I have used datafiles in the game in this way before. The idea of HDTs further supports my choice to combine the computer and droid skills into a single skill.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Datafiles are on a certain subject and have die code values which are like Knowledge skill codes. You rolled the computer skill to access the file, and then once successful accessed you ask a question. The GM comes up with a difficulty for that question and file data subject, and you roll the datafile's die code to see if you get your answer (or how quickly). It's sort of an early take on skill specializations, but in computer files. The Death Star plans were said to be a 10D file.

One interesting concept for datafiles to work off of the randomness inherent in dice rolling for information (that should either be there or not) are HDT applications, which are low-level AI in the files that will answer with educated guesses based on the information they have. The higher the die code means the more information and the better chance of getting a good guess. Basically, something a bit smarter than Alexa. I have used datafiles in the game in this way before. The idea of HDTs further supports my choice to combine the computer and droid skills into a single skill.

That fits, too. I'd say anything software related (including repair of software-specific hardware like chips or other CPU components) would be under Computer/Droid Programming, while anything involving repair of droid bodies be under Droid/Cyborg Repair (as there is significant technological overlap between droids and cybernetic parts).

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than that one instance though, of the "Death star plans being worth 10d of data" though, was there ANY other time, that "D" value of info, was ever mentioned??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Other than that one instance though, of the "Death star plans being worth 10d of data" though, was there ANY other time, that "D" value of info, was ever mentioned??

Not that I recall, but I also don't recall an instance when knowing the memory capacity of a chip or computer was mentioned, either. It's just not crucial to the story. Using a D rating at least applies it in a non-specific manner that allows randomization of whether or not it holds the data you're looking for.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which goes back to a discussion we had a # of month back, in "WHAT IS the standard 'storage' level of things, like data pads? Storage devices in droids.. things like that.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which goes back to a discussion we had a # of month back, in "WHAT IS the standard 'storage' level of things, like data pads? Storage devices in droids.. things like that.

Well, CRFG says that pocket computers have a max total memory capacity of up to 5D while portable computers have a max of 20D. Capital ships go up to 30D.

Think of the file die codes as dice codes of knowledge specialty skills. Tweak the limits how you see fit. Like Charles said, there really isn't any need to "translate" those die codes into real world terms.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: