The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Stasis rule?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Stasis rule? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

I'm guessing someone has done a house rule for the "blaster bolt freeze" trick (what Wookieepedia calls Force Stasis) that Kylo Ren uses in the first scene of TFA and that Vader uses at the end of RO, but I'm not finding anything using the search function (or rather, I'm finding far too much, none of it actually pertinent). Would anyone care to point me in a useful direction?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

fogger1138 wrote:
I'm guessing someone has done a house rule for the "blaster bolt freeze" trick (what Wookieepedia calls Force Stasis) that Kylo Ren uses in the first scene of TFA and that Vader uses at the end of RO, but I'm not finding anything using the search function (or rather, I'm finding far too much, none of it actually pertinent). Would anyone care to point me in a useful direction?

I think it's been talked about but I don't recall anyone actually codifying it. For me, the sequels badly mismanaged the balance of power in Force abilities. Personally, I can't see a pathway to this power in the existing Force Power Tree that won't end up C/S/A in the Heroic+ Difficulty range (at a 2D MAP, since Kylo is clearly able to use it as a reaction power). Which would be fine if he showed equal power in the Force everywhere else, but he doesn't. His power range is all over the place.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the post above in its entirety. I would assume it would be just another use of telekinesis, but the difficulty would have to be off the charts. It is more of a Neo / Matrix trick than a Force skill IMO.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

fogger1138 wrote:
I'm guessing someone has done a house rule for the "blaster bolt freeze" trick (what Wookieepedia calls Force Stasis) that Kylo Ren uses in the first scene of TFA... but I'm not finding anything using the search function (or rather, I'm finding far too much, none of it actually pertinent). Would anyone care to point me in a useful direction?

Freddy at RPGGamer made his version. I'm not officially condoning this version. I'm just sharing something you may or may not find helpful.

Force Stasis

Quote:
and that Vader uses at the end of RO

I'm not sure that Vader was using Force Stasis in RO. It may have just been Telekinesis. But then again, Force Stasis seems like a natural extension of Telekinesis, so maybe they are related, or should even be different uses of one power. I've haven't put much thought into it myself.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing vader do that trick in rogue one.. BUT for Kylo, i see it as a power WITH TK as a requirement...
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I agree with the post above in its entirety. I would assume it would be just another use of telekinesis, but the difficulty would have to be off the charts.

But not too much as it would be much harder to explain how Kylo with such skills still got nicked by Finn and owned by Rey during saber duels. Rolling Eyes
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I agree with the post above in its entirety. I would assume it would be just another use of telekinesis, but the difficulty would have to be off the charts.

But not too much as it would be much harder to explain how Kylo with such skills still got nicked by Finn and owned by Rey during saber duels. Rolling Eyes

That's the point. Doing the energy freeze trick should have very high Difficulty, particularly in the context it's used. The whole point of including it in the first place was to demonstrate that Kylo Ren was a very powerful Force user, by having him do something that even Darth Vader or the Emperor were never seen doing.

So basically, they made Kylo a terrifying bad-@$$ for the first five minutes of the movie, then spent the rest of the movie neutering him a little bit at a time. If he's getting mocked by Poe, shot by Chewie (Danger Sense failure), beaten in an Affect Mind contest by Rey (who's never even heard of Affect Mind at this point), then barely breaks even in a lightsaber fight with Poe, and then again with Rey, he's really not that powerful.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which goes to show that it is easier to make D6 rules consistent with the movies if you ignore the plot specifics of the DT. The DT can still be a source of inspiration.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Which goes to show that it is easier to make D6 rules consistent with the movies if you ignore the plot specifics of the DT. The DT can still be a source of inspiration.

Oh, definitely. In fact, this power is part of what got me thinking about allowing Absorb/Dissipate Energy to absorb kinetic energy, as well, as being able to do this to both a blaster bolt and a human body (Poe, then later Rey) implies he's somehow using TK to manipulate his target's kinetic energy (assuming the blaster is a linear plasma bolt or particle beam, not a true laser). But at the very least, it should be a lot more difficult to do against a blaster bolt than a person.

And ultimately, it's unnecessarily showy, as well. How much energy was Kylo expending to keep that power "up" when he could've knocked it away with his saber or followed in his hero Darth Vader and Absorb/Dissipated it? IMO, it was done mainly for the spectacle by people who didn't really understand how the Force works in-setting.

Also, why doesn't anyone have any interest in the really amazing Force power shown in that scene: Force Forget About Max Von Sydow?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Also, why doesn't anyone have any interest in the really amazing Force power shown in that scene: Force Forget About Max Von Sydow?

Which was what?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Which was what?

Max Von Sydow, famous actor, gets cast as a man with a mysterious past who just happens to be hiding out on a backwater planet with the key to the location of Luke Skywalker (who later turns out to not want to be found in the first place). He also has personal knowledge of Kylo Ren (you can tell from the dialogue they knew each other).

He gets killed, and never mentioned again. No explanation whatsoever for any of the above mysteries.

Almost like someone used a Force power to make the rest of the setting forget he even existed.

fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Freddy at RPGGamer made his version. I'm not officially condoning this version. I'm just sharing something you may or may not find helpful.

Force Stasis

That's a decent starting place - thanks!

Whill wrote:
I'm not sure that Vader was using Force Stasis in RO. It may have just been Telekinesis. But then again, Force Stasis seems like a natural extension of Telekinesis, so maybe they are related, or should even be different uses of one power. I've haven't put much thought into it myself.

Yeah, possibly not the same power, but likely related.

garhkal wrote:
I don't remember seeing vader do that trick in rogue one..

In the scene where he's on the Profundity, right after Vader lifts a Rebel to the ceiling and slashes him, another trooper fires a blaster bolt at him. With his open hand, he's seen to "catch" it and redirect it back at the trooper. Might be a different power, although I always thought of it as the same.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Quote:

That was kind of Absorb/Deflect version. Same used in TESB in the Cloud City where you can see scorch marks on the walls.

Here's the quote from the script (https://imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-The-Empire-Strikes-Back.html):
Quote:
Faster than the wink of an eye, Han draws his blaster and pops off a
couple of shots directly at Vader. The Dark Lord quickly raises his
hand, deflecting the bolts into one of the side walls, where they
explode harmlessly. Just as quickly, Han's weapon zips into Vader's
hand. The evil presence calmly places the gun on the table in front of
him.

As for Kylo in FA - he used Force Stasis on two targets: Poe and the bolt. So probably -1D with 2 different difficulties or one roll for "area" effect with increased difficulty.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:
Quote:

That was kind of Absorb/Deflect version. Same used in TESB in the Cloud City where you can see scorch marks on the walls...

I didn't think fogger1138 was referring to Vader defecting the bolt. Vader pulls a Rebel trooper to the ceiling, walks underneath him, and and then cuts him and he falls down. But if fogger1138 was referring to Vader's blaster bolt deflection with his hand, then I agree, that was not "Force Stasis."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Which was what?

Max Von Sydow, famous actor, gets cast as a man with a mysterious past who just happens to be hiding out on a backwater planet with the key to the location of Luke Skywalker (who later turns out to not want to be found in the first place). He also has personal knowledge of Kylo Ren (you can tell from the dialogue they knew each other).

He gets killed, and never mentioned again. No explanation whatsoever for any of the above mysteries.

Almost like someone used a Force power to make the rest of the setting forget he even existed.

More like the writers just couldn't be bothered to include mentioning of someone slain so swiftly, in other episodes of the trilogy..
NO need to write it up to some mysterious force power..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: