The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Terminator Crossover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Terminator Crossover Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Some interesting possibilities here, but I think some of the entries are a bit superficial. For instance, I'd much rather have a rule about how characters or species with a strong sense of smell have an advantage in seeing through the disguise (or at least knowing something is off about the terminator) than simply saying "dogs bark at the smell of them". There's also the Scholar: Human Anatomy. Yes, it's a direct takeaway from the line in Terminator 2, but how is it actually useful in a game? Far better, IMO, to give it dice in First Aid (and maybe Medicine, as well).

Also, what's their vision bonuses? As we saw in many of the films, their eyes have range finders, IR like and even zoom functions...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Some interesting possibilities here, but I think some of the entries are a bit superficial. For instance, I'd much rather have a rule about how characters or species with a strong sense of smell have an advantage in seeing through the disguise (or at least knowing something is off about the terminator) than simply saying "dogs bark at the smell of them". There's also the Scholar: Human Anatomy. Yes, it's a direct takeaway from the line in Terminator 2, but how is it actually useful in a game? Far better, IMO, to give it dice in First Aid (and maybe Medicine, as well).

Also, what's their vision bonuses? As we saw in many of the films, their eyes have range finders, IR like and even zoom functions...

Can this not be made from the droid options, I can see a dark vision, different specters, and a MFTS type targeting pack, as well as some sensors to find life forms identify them etc.
also the type brain is important, it is mentioned in the rulebooks a droind brain that allows the droid to do untrined skill checks much like a human.

I would look at something like GURI, then add some targeting and sensors to the vision pack
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That’s simple enough; just let them ignore a certain degree of Concealment, then treat telescopic vision like having a set of macro binoculars built in.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i often wonder about the terminator films.. DId they ever try to EMP any terminator, and if so, how effective was it (If at all).

IF NOT, then would that necessitate ION damage is also ineffective?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this concept pop up many times over the decades... I would like to offer some thoughts.

T-800 - was the standard model of foot soldier used in the war of the machines as indicated by the first film at the time (?) of that film. One of the main differences between a Terminator and a standard foot soldier was the camouflage to allow it to infiltrate. In essence these should not be too far removed from a good combat droid (not the stuff from the AOTC or prequel era) as described in the SW sourcebook.

Durability - It seems every time this idea resurfaces, there is talk of loading the terminator down with armor, weapons, special damage resistances, etc... I would strongly advise and counsel against this. What made the T-800 so dangerous in the movies was that it was being faced in 20th century earth using firearms not meant for war. In the shots of the future war, where the resistance has plasma rifles, the T-800 are more vulnerable. Giving the Droid 1D of armor on top of a decent STRENGTH would make it almost impervious to firearms )the armor would double against physical damage). At 4D STRENGTH plus 1D Armor you would almost need a Heavy Blaster or Blaster Rifle to inflict serious damage (and I am of a mind that a Blaster should be comparable to the Plasma Weapons described in the original Terminator movie).

Visual Modes - To represent the different visual Modes, such as night-vision, thermal, zoom, etc... I would give the Droid appropriate sensor packages. Definitely built in Macrobinocular functions. Also something that has precedent in RAW for droids and not very far fetched in a SW setting.

Targeting - Easy enough to explain and handle - built in fire control. How many D is the issue (I'd probably keep it at around 1D).

Anatomy Training - This is something that is a bit more tricky, as I have never liked RPGs translating medical knowledge or anatomy directly to any kind of bonus damage. I would likely handle this with it being able to provide a knowledge of vital areas or vulnerabilities on an appropriate species, and on a successful roll providing a one time bonus to an interrogation, or intimidation roll, or allowing a called shot to a vital area with a trade off of +1D damage per +1D difficulty to hit (with a 3D max). Of course, the Droid would actually have to allocate skill dice to Alien Species skill and First Aide to have this bonus.

Camouflage - Again this would require a bit of house rules. normally you can tell a Droid is a droid by looking at it. Having some form of Camouflage would change this and now it becomes a question of how good is that camouflage. I would rate this as a Die Code that would be used to add to Search or Perception difficulty checks to determine it is a droid. The base difficulty of the check would depend on distance and environment (in terms of how appropriate the cammoflage is).
    1D - Hard to detect at a distance or in dim light or crowded area, but at close range the cammoflage is obviously flawed, fake, or unconvincing (rubbery skin, waxy, etc..). At any range closer than 25 meters an automatic perception check is allowed versus just the cammoflage rating to detect the fake. At less than 5 meters it is obvious to see the fake.

2D - Using High grade synthetics, and better materials, the cammoflage may hold up at even close ranges. It becomes near impossible to notice in large crowds or poor lighting. At ranges of 5m a perception check is allowed versus the rating of cammoflage to tell it's a droid.

3D - Cloned flesh over the machine and advanced bio-organic materials make the machine hard to tell from the intended species even at close range, and it may even pass close scrutiny. Only in close proximity directly interacting with the droid is there any chance to determine it is a droid, requiring a Perception roll versus the die code of the cammoflage. A search roll may only be used if there is a tip of of some sort or something definitely out of place.

Aliens or droids with enhanced senses or special sensors may get a bonus to these detection rolls as they have a better chance to notice something is off (they machine may not smell right, the motors may make noises outside normal human hearing, the internals may generate slightly more heat or be too cool and efficient, etc...)

Damage reduces the effective of all cammoflage just as it reduces other systems and skills or wounds affect a placer.

There is no need the droid even be human, it could be camouflaged as any sentient species.

These are some of my thoughts, there is so much more I could address. Just keep in mind that SW is a far cry from 20th century Earth, and a Terminator would be far more vulnerable to the advanced weaponry of such a setting than to shotguns, pistols, and lead pipes on Earth. I would strongly urge against stat bloat or 6D Strength for a long list of reasons covered in so many threads across these forums and others regarding blaster proof characters.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention...
Ion Weapons - I would not make it immune to ion weapons. These are so much more potent than a basic EMP. I might allow it to recover in a given length of time, have the effects fall off due to redundant systems. At the end of the day, it is a machine, and Ion Weapons should have an effect. Optionally, the organic cammoflage might be allowed to act as some shielding against these if it is intact, as Ion Weapons are not meant to do much to organics...maybe half the organic cammoflage die code ads to damage resistance. I would still be very careful with this though.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Forgot to mention...
Ion Weapons - I would not make it immune to ion weapons. These are so much more potent than a basic EMP. I might allow it to recover in a given length of time, have the effects fall off due to redundant systems. At the end of the day, it is a machine, and Ion Weapons should have an effect. Optionally, the organic cammoflage might be allowed to act as some shielding against these if it is intact, as Ion Weapons are not meant to do much to organics...maybe half the organic cammoflage die code ads to damage resistance. I would still be very careful with this though.

I would say +1D or +2pip Ion Protection, simply due to the mentiond reason above, the skin and acting as a damper on ION damage.

I would also not rate any Ion damage vunerability as as anything other than a needed balance.

on that nore, becuse I do not remember, is ION weapons even "dangerous" ot orgenices?
And here is his main ION shileding, ( and why I saee a slaight +2pip ) looking human, unless a inon gun works on an organic I would not use one against a HRD unless I know it is a machine.

But the being human and as such nobdy even things to use ION weapons, is a very good ION defense IMO
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

It's said it makes them a more efficient killer. I suppose a Torture droid would have the same attribute.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One thing i often wonder about the terminator films.. DId they ever try to EMP any terminator, and if so, how effective was it (If at all).

IF NOT, then would that necessitate ION damage is also ineffective?

In the movies, there was a kinda EMP in Terminator Dark Fate, but I prefer to look to the expanded lore. Usually Comics.

In Terminator: One Shot, there's a rifle built from a combination of tech brought back from 2029 and from circa the 1960s-80s tech. A volunteer called Ruggles goes back AFTER Kyle Reese, but back to the 1950s, to watch over Sarah Connor. He has components for a Fazer rifle, basically, an emp gun inserted into his body and sent back. Painful, but he survived.

Also, there was a prequel comic that depicts the capture of the Terminator unit used by the resistance in Terminator 3. I THINK they used some kinda EMP gadget.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Terminator RPG, web-published, using a d20 system.

http://www.terminatorfiles.com/interact/fanprojects/gaming_001.htm

Would be interesting to see a conversion to D6, and especially Star Wars d6.

A lot of the weapons used are probably already in Empire invades Earth.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for D6 stats for contemporary weapons, there are official WEG stats available in the D6 Adventure book for a lot of contemporary weapons. It also has updated rules for Multi-Tap and burst fire - though I feel those could still use some improvement (I had written extensive rules for this myself, but they only currently exist in a spiral notebook and never got edited or published). I believe this book is still available on Drive Thru RPG. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/20446/D6-Adventure

There was also a book released for TORG that had D6 stats for a lot of contemporary weapons as well. I believe it was the Kanawa Personal Weapons Catalog.

I have material that might be of use if I get time to transcribe and upload (modern weapon stats, ammunition variations for slug throwers, and a lot more...all in glorious handwritten, spiral-bound format).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Durability - It seems every time this idea resurfaces, there is talk of loading the terminator down with armor, weapons, special damage resistances, etc... I would strongly advise and counsel against this. What made the T-800 so dangerous in the movies was that it was being faced in 20th century earth using firearms not meant for war. In the shots of the future war, where the resistance has plasma rifles, the T-800 are more vulnerable. Giving the Droid 1D of armor on top of a decent STRENGTH would make it almost impervious to firearms )the armor would double against physical damage). At 4D STRENGTH plus 1D Armor you would almost need a Heavy Blaster or Blaster Rifle to inflict serious damage (and I am of a mind that a Blaster should be comparable to the Plasma Weapons described in the original Terminator movie).

True, plus we saw (in genesys) one get destroyed rather easily by that laser fence..

KageRyu wrote:
Visual Modes - To represent the different visual Modes, such as night-vision, thermal, zoom, etc... I would give the Droid appropriate sensor packages. Definitely built in Macrobinocular functions. Also something that has precedent in RAW for droids and not very far fetched in a SW setting.

Targeting - Easy enough to explain and handle - built in fire control. How many D is the issue (I'd probably keep it at around 1D).

How's about something akin to the smart link system we see in shadowrun?

KageRyu wrote:
Anatomy Training - This is something that is a bit more tricky, as I have never liked RPGs translating medical knowledge or anatomy directly to any kind of bonus damage. I would likely handle this with it being able to provide a knowledge of vital areas or vulnerabilities on an appropriate species, and on a successful roll providing a one time bonus to an interrogation, or intimidation roll, or allowing a called shot to a vital area with a trade off of +1D damage per +1D difficulty to hit (with a 3D max). Of course, the Droid would actually have to allocate skill dice to Alien Species skill and First Aide to have this bonus.

When you read some of the terminator novels, we see this skill making some sense though, like in one scene, a terminator comes across a bear guarding a kill.. Its anatomy training lets it know where to hit the bear for the MOST damage, to try and get it to bugger off.. Or like in Salvation, when that one terminator scanned Whatzhisname, and then punched him in the chest, to nix his heart (made it stop).
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anatomy Traning

Couls this not be used to trade skill for damage, maybe upto +3D or +4D
meaning AFTER adding up any bonuses from the targeting systems, skills, specializations etc etc, then have the ability to make one attack but to keep with the SWD6 rules to an extent, allow to reduce the skill roll with XD, and on a hit deal XD added Damage.

or you caoul simply sactifice 2D (or 1D) to have an attack that on a hot delas ONE CONDITION higher damage.
The latter I think describest the bear scene, the terminator can make a "pin point" strike that deal more deadly damage, it need not deal more, it just move the condition up one. basically a "stunned" statu would be "wounded" etc etc
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Anatomy Traning

meaning AFTER adding up any bonuses from the targeting systems, skills, specializations etc etc, then have the ability to make one attack but to keep with the SWD6 rules to an extent, allow to reduce the skill roll with XD, and on a hit deal XD added Damage.

or you caoul simply sactifice 2D (or 1D) to have an attack that on a hot delas ONE CONDITION higher damage.
The latter I think describest the bear scene, the terminator can make a "pin point" strike that deal more deadly damage, it need not deal more, it just move the condition up one. basically a "stunned" statu would be "wounded" etc etc

Trading skill dice for damage is a very bad method of handling this and not in the spirit of the D6 system. I would also caution against trading skill dice for allowing a better damage result as it, too, is not how D6 is intended to work and is prone to abuse and unbalancing.

I suggest the best way would be to require a pertinent skill check to allow targeting a vital area that would yield improved damage at increased difficulty. This type of targeting was covered in later D6 material by WEG and I believe is even discussed in the freely distributed open D6 PDF. This would of course require time for the Terminator to make the initial skill check to get pertinent knowledge then have to still hit the specific point on the target (which is likely moving and/or resisting. This will help prevent the option from becoming unbalanced or overused as a quick damage boost.

I would also point out, the reason I earlier stated I disliked the whole "know Anatomy - better killer" earlier is because I know basic anatomy and know where the Human Heart is, along with several major arteries, but that will not make me any better with a rifle than anyone else. It also will not miraculously make my abilities with a sword or knife any more effective, unless my opponent is restrained and unable to resist (in which case I can just slice away or shoot into these points with no worries.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Anatomy Traning

Trading skill dice for damage is a very bad method of handling this and not in the spirit of the D6 system. I would also caution against trading skill dice for allowing a better damage result as it, too, is not how D6 is intended to work and is prone to abuse and unbalancing.

I suggest the best way would be to require a pertinent skill check to allow targeting a vital area that would yield improved damage at increased difficulty. This type of targeting was covered in later D6 material by WEG and I believe is even discussed in the freely distributed open D6 PDF. This would of course require time for the Terminator to make the initial skill check to get pertinent knowledge then have to still hit the specific point on the target (which is likely moving and/or resisting. This will help prevent the option from becoming unbalanced or overused as a quick damage boost.

I would also point out, the reason I earlier stated I disliked the whole "know Anatomy - better killer" earlier is because I know basic anatomy and know where the Human Heart is, along with several major arteries, but that will not make me any better with a rifle than anyone else. It also will not miraculously make my abilities with a sword or knife any more effective, unless my opponent is restrained and unable to resist (in which case I can just slice away or shoot into these points with no worries.

Though usually founf in various esoteric medicne and martial arts, we do have sever points on the huma body that when manipulated will make people fall immiately uncoscous, immiate parazysi of the limb etc etc, I would argue no matter how we twist and turn dice that it is fair to have bonus to damages, status, or otherwise effects, like temporary blinding etc, now I would argue that it is harder to consitantly target these points, be them exposed or even worse under armor and clothing.

However, I would argue that a shooter that knows the anatomy of the human target well enough would try to go for a shot at one of these points.
the one that comest to mind is the shot to the armpit and the like.

In melee I would argue that there is absultely a value to anatomy and it will make you much much deadlier, becuse where I who does not know anything about anatomy attack you and "randmly" hits, you, you can make one strike to one part of the body and the fight is over........some of those points can be used with armed melee, where knowing where to cut with the knife to most effectively dispatch the enemy is anatomy dependent, the sentry enven if attacked from behind and muffled by a hand, will fight back, the knife stab must not do one thing, but three things at onece, silence, imobilize and kill, all this depending on anatomy.

I know exatly where to cut you to imobilize you, where as others can imobilize you by brutr force, and luck.

so I would say the one that knows exatly where on the body to strik for the most effective kill/Stun/Status, is a deadlier warrier than one who don't, an knowing this is more than fighting, is anatomy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: