The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This latest episode is better than the last one.

New-Luke in this episode looks way more "real" than new-Luke from teh season finale of Mando.

We all the new the chainmal was coming, and you'd best not peer too closely at it or it's readily revealed as the cheap renfaire souvenir that the prop no doubt is. Butted, round-cross sectioned rings of aluminum or galvanized steel, probably of an internal diameter that's popular among hobbyists. It's unfortunate that nerd-culture is getting so intellectually inbred. But even so, in that scene my heart cheered and I was reminded of my Beowulf. The byrnie gleamed, hard and hand-locked, the bright iron rings sang in the armor!

I'm really glad we got to see Cob Vanth again. That cowboy Duros from Clone Wars worked pretty good for the scene but I couldn't help but wonder how he got there. That's a looooong way to walk...
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
This latest episode is better than the last one.

New-Luke in this episode looks way more "real" than new-Luke from teh season finale of Mando.

The deep fake guy that was hired by ILM showed his skill. It was him, right?

TauntaunScout wrote:
That cowboy Duros from Clone Wars worked pretty good for the scene but I couldn't help but wonder how he got there. That's a looooong way to walk...

He landed on the outskirts and sent his ship up. The he was able to make "an approach from nowhere" move and get a circumstance bonus for Intimidation skill. Wink
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the YouTube DeepFake guy was hired by ILM/Lucasfilm after his demo of a better DeepFake than theirs.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Luke looked better this time. I'm not a fan of the character but I thought Cad Bane was a great live-action realization. Cool to see more Duros. But I guess Duros are long-lived species? Or maybe he is just really old and they don't show their age?

And I chuckled at Luke teaching the quasi-Buddhist prequel-Jedi tenants like avoiding attachments, which Obi-Wan and Yoda had never mentioned to him in the CT. I bet the prequel-haters are hating it. Blame Ahsoka for telling Luke about it, lol. And I hope Grogu chooses to be a Mandalorian or else Kylo Ben will murder him. Just kidding. I really don't care.

This episode of TBoBF made it more difficult to ignore the film saga and try to enjoy this as its own story. Ahsoka was the padawan of Jedi Knight Anakin, shoehorned into canon a month after Anakin's terrible pain was felt literally across the galaxy. Ahsoka joined the Rebel Alliance years before ANH and knew Vader was Anakin but never told anyone? And Ahsoka never encountered Luke in the classic era? Never trained him? Never even tried to contact the famous Rebel who destroyed the Death Star and had the last name of her former master? Ahsoka doesn't make any damn sense to the PT or the CT, but here we have her friends with Luke while Luke is building the Jedi Temple Kylo Ben will destroy. And this is the second episode of the resurrected-Boba Fett's show in a row that was hardly about him. And Temuera Morrison is 20 years older than the supposedly non-age-accelerated character he is playing! Holy Sebastian Shaw! /EndRant

I will reserve final judgment on this show until next week's finale, but right now it really feels like this disjointed mess of a show is really just a thinly disguised vehicle to advance the metaplot of this era/setting, cheaply cashing on the fan popularity and demand for Boba Fett while they are at it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And I hope Grogu chooses to be a Mandalorian or else Kylo Ben will murder him. Just kidding. I really don't care.

I wonder why Luke dealt with...absolutes here. Even as more experienced one in RotJ he did not hesitate to rescue his friends from Jabba (strong attachement here) I wonder what - in this case - he will tell Leia during her training - "Leave Han"? Not likely as she would put another foot in his a**. Hmmm....

And for some RPG rules:

1) Grogu vs remote - Lightsaber Combat without a saber
2) Group telekinesis - area effect:
RAW wrote:
A Jedi can levitate several objects simultaneously, but each
additional object requires a new telekinesis roll.

At -1D for each? Nope.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill I think a lot of the questions you have about Ashoka comes from the fact that you’re looking at it for out of movie knowledge versus in movie knowledge. Luke’s birth was an ultra secret-right? Why would she associate the hero of the Rebellion to Vader? In fact how many in the movie really new he was a Jedi? Also Ashoka was framed as so was burned by the Jedi, she walked away. So it seems she does heroic things but doesn’t get involved with Jedi things proper. Also the galaxy huge so it’s not like she’s bumping into these people on the regular. And we don’t know what she was doing all that time either. She was probably having her own adventures at the time. I get it. I too am not wholly pleased with Ashoka being Anakin’s apprentice. I really I’d like her being pulled out of time to be saved. Can someone just stay dead in Star Wars? Nothing against Carrie Fisher in real life btw. Still I got goose bumps with episode 6.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of a massive future-continuity minefield, sure. Maybe I was too distracted by the awesome new-Luke to care about other problems on the first viewing? The only thing that bugged me was the word "padawan". It DOES show the cracks of corporate stewardship, much like ESB and ROTJ (in hindsight) showed the cracks of Lucas' artistic temperament. At this point I can't judge them too harshly but we'll see if someone has the foresigh to wrap up each project before the cracks spread too far and make the show(s) end with an extraneous season or three of corporate milking.

I really liked the worker-ant droids.

But the plot is really dragging. These last two episodes should've been part of Mando season 3. This is an action show. To be good, it needs good characters and good action. Mad Max: Fury Road for example has virtually no storyline at all but it remains an excellent film. If BOBF gets bogged down in a bunch of negotiations and workshop montages it's not liable to work out well. We've got good characters, we should be seeing them in good action sequences and right now, we aren't.

I really hope Jennifer Beals Twi'Lek survived the blast. Probably not though.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Whill I think a lot of the questions you have about Ashoka comes from the fact that you’re looking at it for out of movie knowledge versus in movie knowledge.

No sir, I'm not. I'm not a noob that easily confuses these things. I'm a fully binary superfan with one foot in the matrix and one foot out. Here I was speaking from a 100% in-universe perspective. (From a real world perspective, there is no mystery. Ahsoka is a retcon.)

Quote:
Luke’s birth was an ultra secret-right?

I'm sorry for the confusion. I was not at all suggesting that Ahsoka had any knowledge of Luke's birth or his life growing up on Tatooine.

After Luke joined the Rebellion and destroyed the Death Star, his legend began to grow. No, not everyone would instantly know his name, but Alliance leadership certainly all would. And no, destroying the Death Star was not an inherently "Jedi" thing to do, but it wasn't easy so people would think there had to be something special about him.

Quote:
Why would she associate the hero of the Rebellion to Vader?

Eventually, the Empire learned his name and he instantly became one of the most wanted criminals in the Empire, for the crime of destroying the Death Star. Then everyone knew his name and what he did. Why would Ahsoka associate Luke to Vader? Because they have the same exact last name.

The guy who made a one-in-a-million shot to destroy the Death Star just happens to have the same last name as the greatest hero of the Clone Wars prophesied to be the Chosen One, and Ahsoka's master? Would Ahsoka really think, "Probably just a coincidence"? Rebels showed Ahsoka discovered that Vader was Anakin years before ANH.

Quote:
Also the galaxy huge so it’s not like she’s bumping into these people on the regular. And we don’t know what she was doing all that time either. She was probably having her own adventures at the time.

Ahsoka was shown to be a high-ranking Jedi-powered Rebel agent before Luke even joined the Alliance. She could have learned Luke Skywalker was the name of the rebel who destroyed the Death Star before a lot of people in the galaxy did. Also, the heroes of Yavin were kept together operating out of the main rebel bases, so it just seems to me that a high-ranking Rebel agent could have easily ran into Luke at some point. And once everyone in the galaxy knew his name, I would think she would actively seek him out if they hadn't already met.

But if this is not an issue for you or anyone else, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I was just explaining why it is an issue for me.

Quote:
I too am not wholly pleased with Ashoka being Anakin’s apprentice.

Her existence was an abomination to film canon from the very beginning. Her being saved and existing through the classic era has only worsened the issue.

Quote:
Can someone just stay dead in Star Wars?

Maul, Ahsoka, Palpatine, and Boba Fett all say no.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two days after the premiere and here we go:

Adjusted Cad Bane scene
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: BOBF Episode 6 Reply with quote

I was so happy when I saw Luke training Baby Yoda. I thought it was really adorable, especially when Grogu started doing the flips and jumping around like Yoda from the Prequals. I did feel really sad when Mando had to leave and Grogu couldn't see Mando for a little bit or even say goodbye. I get it, Grogu can't have attachment as a jedi or else he will end up like Anakin (we have already seen Grogu resort to force choking) and turn to the dark side, but that just felt cruel to me. When we see the flashback to order 66 and all of the jedi getting killed by the clones I feel like that would traumatize somebody. Which is why when Luke ignites Yoda's tiny green lightsaber Grogu jumps back a bit, probably in terror from the traumatizing events of order 66 he experienced earlier in his life. I was like "LUKE DO YOU EVEN REALIZE WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO THIS TINY LITTLE CREATURE!" Igniting that lightsaber makes me think that Grogu remembered what happened during order 66 and got really freaked out because he probably associates lightsabers with death. Overall I like where the show is going but I funny it funny how in episode 5 and episode 6 of THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT Boba Fett doesn't get single line of dialogue in both episodes combined.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit late to this thread.... but.

Overall, I am loving the show.

I can understand why some folks don't - and obviously, everyone has different tastes and expectations - and certainly, I for one have been picky about many things in many stories before.

But I did want to call out some of the things I DID really like;

* The tusken/Dances with wolves story - I loved this. Yes, it was slower pace, yes it was a story that was told many times before - but I really liked it. I also liked that it did not follow a typical troupe of him becoming romantically involved with any of the characters.

* Boba's changes - I can fully agree that this boba does not meet expectations - many would picture are more ....cold or aggressive individual.
This is an older, more ...worn...fett. kind of like those old soldiers who tire of war and violence. Some of it being more experienced, some about having some time inside the sarlacc, some of it the tusken experiences.

* The pyke meeting - loved the "it is just business" conversation with the pyke talking about the "we already pay protection...." and it being an expected business expense. There was no blustering or threats - but still very serious and high stakes.

* the Hutt meeting - while still business like, the hutts clearly showed more ego and posturing in their meetings than the previous example with the pykes - loved the different tones of the sessions.

* The wookie - loved the whole "it was not personal" thing - and the "new fett" letting him go - especially in wake of the hutts being willing to just throw him away.

* slice of life stuff - from watching mando on a passenger liner to x-wing patrols to life in mos espa - loved all the extra scenes in life in the star wars setting.

* The rancor - this could have been really poorly done - but I thought it was great. In a few short min we get another depth to the character - can't wait to see more of him and danny trejo.

We end up with a boba that talks about how those who have hired his kind (bounty hunters) just treats them like objects and throws them away etc.
Some great conversations there - and honestly, I think we see it in the character in how he deals with threats and potential adversaries.

He is not afraid of killing - he is just tired of doing it senselessly - especially at the whims of others.

His commitment to his followers is a strong point and is a cool side that meshes with this new boba - I mean - he put the Gamorrean in his bacta tank. HIS bacta tank.

Oh, yeah - and the mando s3 episodes - yes, they did seem a bit out of place - but loved them anyway.

Overall, really loving the show - yeah, a few continuity breaking thigns here and there - but overall - it is clear that the creators love and know star wars, and I think are telling great stories in it.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

* The rancor - this could have been really poorly done - but I thought it was great. ,

That's the thing for me, about these two new shows. They "could have been really poorly done" but they're not, they're the most fun on tv since I don't know what. I think I hate every single idea in them on paper, but in practice the creators made them work so well. With the action genre, so much of things is just in the presentation. It's sorta like timing is for the comedy genre. And the sound and lighting and acting really come together to present things in a really fun way that works while I'm watching it.

Everyone has a different threshold for continuity breaks and so far, for me, these shows do ok in that regard. I only get annoyed by the flashbacks to ROTJ era where Boba should be way slighter of build. That annoyance ultimately has more to do with my own baggage surrounding the relentless digital alterations of the OT though.

I know it's a dead horse at this point but I really love Fennec Shand and Garsa Fwip.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

* The tusken/Dances with wolves story - I loved this. Yes, it was slower pace, yes it was a story that was told many times before - but I really liked it. I also liked that it did not follow a typical troupe of him becoming romantically involved with any of the characters.

Dances with Banthas.

Now, they tried this in Avatar and it didn't work. Preachy, and a lot of James Cameron indulging his obsession with scuba diving. This worked great. Maybe because its short. The length of DWW works against it, too.

The trope they DID indulge in, which is unfortunate, is the whole "entire native tribe wiped out to advance the protagonist". Maybe he and the tuskens could've just parted ways? I don't know.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp. Another Wednesday on the books.

I'm really glad that Peli Motto is effectively the replacement for Kuil. David Sedaris' books are just great and it's so nice to see "[his] sister Amy", (referred to as a struggling, starving actor in his semi-autobiographical humor books) in Star Wars.

Bill Waterson was frequently asked why Calvin, from Calvin & Hobbes, had such an inexplicably large vocabulary for a little kid. He said once that he didn't think about it too much, he just really enjoyed Calvin's ability to "precisely articulate stupid ideas". It really added something unique to the strip and made it hilarious. And it struck me that it describes my "hate it on paper, love it in practice" comments. If you take a bunch of stupid ideas but you shoot them right, get the right actors, etc. it still works out well.

The playful quality to these shows is cranked up to 11 this week. This really felt like a script written by kids doing a stop motion movie with a bunch of clearanced out ROTJ toys! And it's awesome.

I don't hate the Vespa gang like a lot of people. Drash is basically a reboot of Jyn Erso like Mando is a New-Fett. And I'll still take Jyn Erso over anyone else the franchise has produced in my lifetime.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grogu returning to Mando undoes the whole point of Mando's quest to return him to the Jedi. At the end of TM s2, Luke said that Grogu was waiting for Mando's approval to go with Luke. Why would Grogu even want to go with Luke in the first place if he wanted to stay with Mando? It's kinda funny that all fans are happy with Grogu choosing The Way over the Jedi. Was everyone worried about Grogu eventually being murdered by Kylo Ben if he remained a Jedi? And When is Grogu going to start hiding his face like Mando?

The Boba Fett finale had some cool action and some silly action. They overdid the rancor. And it was really stupid that for the trap, the Aqualish Quarter had all the blasters while the Trandoshan and Klantooinians only had melee weapons. Sure, the Klantooinians had a cliff to push the Gamorrean guards off, but the Trandoshan could have easily killed Krrsantan if they had blasters like the Aqualish had. And where were the Tuskens in the battle? The Tuskens that helped Mando kill the dragon could have been shown to also have been terrorized by the Pykes and thus have a motivation to help Boba.

Quote:
BOBA FETT: I’m confused.
FENNEC SHAND: He wants you to pay him.
FETT: What? I’m the crime lord. He’s supposed to pay me.
Quote:
SHAND: When you run the town, it is.
FETT: (To townsperson) Thank you. (To Shand) We are not suited for this.
SHAND: If not us, then who?

Some thought that Boba Fett's motivation to become a crime lord was warranted due to him no longer wanting to take orders (that could get him killed) from bosses who are less intelligent. OK. But why would he think he should be a crime lord as opposed some other job where he didn't take orders from a crime lord? He showed time and time again that he had no clue what he was doing. He acted notably less intelligent that a crime lord. If he was more intelligent, he would have realized he was out of his league and done some other job where he didn't have to take orders from someone else that could get him killed. Was he so fatally flawed to think he was more intelligent than he was? And he just realized it at the end of the series when he said they were not suited for this?

Quote:
BOBA FETT: I'm a simple man making his way through the galaxy. Like my father before me.

Jabba was a galactic crime lord, and Boba pointed out the lineage of Jabba to Bib Fortuna to himself (and btw we never found out what Fortuna did Boba to make his hate Bib so much). But Boba never had designs on being a galactic crime lord. The show seemed to go back and forth with Boba considering his territory to be the whole planet and just Mos Espa. Was Mos Espa itself just so important that it was key to the spice trade? And why does Boba Fett care so much about Tatooine or Mos Espa? His area of employment used to be the entire galaxy. Why would he want to be a crime lord here? Because he grew to love the planet after his psychedelic experience and joining the Tusken tribe? And the writing was really clunky to just tack on the purpose of cleaning up the planet from the scourge of illegal spice. It occurred to me today that the plot of Boba becoming a crime lord on Tatooine may have been driven solely by the practicality of sharing sets with the Obi-Wan Kenobi show coming in May.

The show still failed to really explain, who is Boba Fett? He's a crime lord who wants to end the scourge of drug addiction, says "I'm sorry" to someone who may have taken offense at a comment he made, says "thank you," wants to rule with fairness but makes fun of Mando's creed when Mando says he will keep his word and help him, and kills with a murderous glee in his eyes. Cad Bane was right to call out Boba's hypocrisy, but Cad Bane was wrong to be older than Boba and call him old. (According to canon, Fett is only 41-42 years old at the time of TBoBF – he only looks 60 because the actor was 60 when they filmed it.) Boba's character and the show as a whole are both jumbled messes.

And my speculation was wrong that Crimson Dawn would be involved in the plot despite the fact that the main musical theme of TBoBF includes the Crimson Dawn theme from Solo. It seems the composer is just generalizing the reference to make the theme symbolize crime organizations in general, but that is a stupid choice because Jabba the Hutt has a theme. If they wanted to generalize a crime lord's theme for Boba, it would make more sense for it to be based on Jabba than an organization that had nothing to do with this show. Maybe it really was just because Favreau loves Solo.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: