The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers, Star Dreadnoughts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers, Star Dreadnoughts Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers, Star Dreadnoughts Reply with quote

Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers, Star Dreadnoughts & Related Vessels

This thread is where I'll posting my re-revised SD & SSD stats.
In short, what i had done considering the 8,000-meter Super-class & 17.6 km (17,600 meter) Executor-class SSDs, was that for every mile (1.6 km) of SD/SSD, the ship would have 1 ISD's worth of Crew, Passengers, Weapons, fighters, etc.

I had found, here in the forums or one of the pdfs i downloaded, a D6 stat block for the Imperial I/Imperator SD, that matched this 'new canon' armament:
Imperial I-class Star Destroyer wrote:
Taim & Bak XX-9 heavy turbolaser batteries (60)[1]
Borstel NK-7 ion cannons (60)[1]
Dual heavy turbolaser turrets (6)[9]
Dual heavy ion cannon turrets (2)[9]
Quad heavy turbolasers (2)[9]
Triple medium turbolasers (3)[9]
Medium turbolasers (2)[9]
Phylon Q7 tractor beam projectors (10)[1]

After searching through those pdfs, and a few hours searching the forums & my notes, i cannot find it. So it was among notes i lost in one of my computer's recent crashes. Anyone who knows where i can find said stat block, please link it in a reply, thank you.
It is my intent to use that, with CRM's revision suggestion of adding 40 starfighter-scale lasers to the ISD, as the basis for my revised Imperial fleet.

Last edited by Inquisitor1138 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching this thread merely out of curiosity. I don't think I would ever use dreadnaughts/super star destroyers except as a story or plot device, but I love crunchy stats.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I'll be watching this thread merely out of curiosity. I don't think I would ever use dreadnaughts/super star destroyers except as a story or plot device, but I love crunchy stats.

Same. There are some great models out there for big ships (Fractalsponge's work in particular), but there's a limit in the game as to how useful such ships actually are. As I've said elsewhere, stats for ships that size mostly exist to detail exactly why a group of PCs in a light freighter stand absolutely no chance against such a ship, and should run very fast in the opposite direction if they ever encounter one.

On top of that, the RAW isn't really a good fit for handling capital ship combat. Having exactingly accurate weapon stat blocks isn't hugely useful when it comes to actually using the ship in combat, which is part of why I'm leaning more toward Battery Dice; you're going to be converting them to a Coordination Bonus for use in combat anyway, so why not just remove that extra step and put the Coordination Bonus (in the form of Battery Dice) straight into the stat.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Imperial III-class Star Destroyer Reply with quote

In addition to the missing Imperial I-class Star Destroyer stat block i am looing for, what is the story behind the Imperial III-class Star Destroyer in the Starships Stats R&E censored? Source? Backstory (IRL &/or fluff)?
Or is it just another fanon creation?
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Revised & Expanded Imperial I Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Taking a break from searching to have a thought exercise.

Imperial I Star Destroyer
Craft: Kuat Drive Yards' Imperial I-class Star Destroyer
Type: Star Destroyer
Scale: Capital
Length: 1,600 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Star Destroyer
Crew: 36,810, gunners: 275, skeleton: 5,000/+20
Crew Skill: Astrogation 4D, capital ship gunnery 4D+2, capital ship piloting 5D+1, capital ship shields 4D+1, sensors 4D
Passengers: 9,700 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 36,000 metric tons
Consumables: 6 years
Cost: Not available for sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x8
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 340; 975 kmh
Hull: 7D
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
--Passive: 50/1D
--5can: 100/3D
--Search.200/4D
--Focus. 6/4D+2

Weapons
__60 Turbolaser Batteries
___Fire Arc: 20 fore(front), 20 port(left), 20 starboard(right)
___Crew: 1 (20), 2 (40)
___Skill: Capital ship gunnery
___Scale:
___Fire Control: 4D
___Space Range: 3-15/36/75
___Atmosphere Range: 6-30/72/150 km
___Damage: 5D
__60 Ion Cannons
___Fire Arc: 20 fore(front), 15 port(left), 15 starboard(right), 10 aft(back)
___Crew: 1(15), 2(45)
___Scale:
___Fire Control: 2D+2
___Space Range: 1-10/25/50
___Atmosphere Range: 2-20/50/100 km
___Damage: 3D
__6 Dual Heavy Turbolasers
___Fire Arc:
___Crew:
___Scale:
___Fire Control: 3D
___Space Range: 3-15/36/75
___Damage: 5D
__2 Dual Heavy Ion Cannons
___Fire Arc: 1 fore/port/aft, 1 fore/starboard/aft
___Crew:
___Scale:
___Fire Control: 2D+2
___Atmosphere Range: 2-20/50/100 km
___Damage: 5D Ion
__2 Quad Heavy Turbolasers
___Fire Arc:
___Crew:
___Scale:
___Fire Control: 2D
___Damage: 5D or 6D
__3 Triple Medium Turbolasers
___Fire Arc:
___Crew:
___Scale:
___Damage: 5D+2 or 6D?
__2 Medium Turbolasers
___Fire Arc:
___Crew:
___Scale:
___Damage: 3D+2
__42 Laser Cannons
___Fire Arc: 10 fore(front), 10 port(left), 10 starboard(right), 12 aft(back)
___Crew:
___Skill: Starship gunnery
___Scale: Starfighter
___Fire Control: 2D
___Space Range: 1-3/12/25
___Atmosphere Range: 2-6/24/50 km
___Damage: 6D
__10 Tractor Beam Projectors
___Fire Arc: 6 fore(front), 2 port(left), 2 starboard(right)
___Crew: 1 (2), 4 (2), 10(6)
___Scale:
___Fire Control: 4D
___Space Range: 1-5/15/30
___Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km
___Damage: 6D

Last edited by Inquisitor1138 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised & Expanded Imperial I Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:

I think some of you post was cut off since this starts with Space: 7...

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because i was focusing on the changes the rest of the stats for the ISD i'm keeping the same.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, that was not clear to me. Space 7 for an ISD seems pretty blazin' fast! Also, why did you include so many redundant weapons with practically the same damage and range? If the only difference is a die or two of Fore Control, it seems like it just stretches and comically the stats needlessly.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised & Expanded Imperial I Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

As a courtesy, could you please trim your post-quotes down to the specific portion you are replying to? Having to scroll through the same stat twice just to read a couple sentences is somewhat annoying.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Oh sorry, that was not clear to me. Space 7 for an ISD seems pretty blazin' fast! Also, why did you include so many redundant weapons with practically the same damage and range? If the only difference is a die or two of Fore Control, it seems like it just stretches and comically the stats needlessly.

When Disney retconned the ISD Is & IIs to be as fast as the Venator SDs, i thought, "Why not? The Generals & Admirals would want the new ships as fast as can be." Especially in light of the fastest CIS ships being even faster at Space 8. So i am embracing it, at updating my Victory II SDs & a number of Space 6 cruisers to Space 7, Atmosphere: 340; 975 kmh.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised & Expanded Imperial I Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

--snip--

Dr. Bidlo, in the interest of the *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES ***, would you please be so kind as to edit your post in a manner similar to what i have shown?
Thank you!
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised & Expanded Imperial I Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

--snip--

Dr. Bidlo, in the interest of the *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES ***, would you please be so kind as to edit your post in a manner similar to what i have shown?
Thank you!

Sorry about that! Done.

As for the ISD at Space 7, that actually makes more sense taking into account the scene in ANH as the Falcon leaves Tatooine. After all, how could those Star Destroyers have caught up with the Falcon so quickly if they were so slow? I could buy it.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised & Expanded Imperial I Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
---snip---
As for the ISD at Space 7, that actually makes more sense taking into account the scene in ANH as the Falcon leaves Tatooine. After all, how could those Star Destroyers have caught up with the Falcon so quickly if they were so slow? I could buy it.

I had not thought of that!

I suppose i had taken it for granted, that in the D6 system, ships can exceed their normal speed by taking a penalty to their Maneuverability, by using their All-Out Speed. In that scene, fleeing Imperial Entanglements at Tatooine, Han could have used the Falcon's All-Out Speed, but opted to retain their Maneuverability so they could avoid getting shot/hit long enough to get coordinates for the jump to lightspeed.

That said, making the ISDs a bit faster to start, they can accelerate faster, thus gaining on the Falcon more quickly.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate take involves Power Distribution, for which a couple different House Rules have been suggested. Whill's version (found here) is more detailed, and designed to give a loose-end character on a light freighter something to do in combat.

My version is tailored more toward a single character operating either a starfighter, or as commander of a capital ship. Essentially the ship has 1D of Auxiliary Power that can be put toward any system, but must be declared at the beginning of the round by the pilot/captain character.

Now, Full Actions for Capital Ships are something of a grey area, because they have so many crew that it's possible for some crew to still be firing the guns and operating the shields even if the ship is going All-Out. My concept had it so that, if the pilot/captain wants his ship to go All-Out or make a Full Dodge, he has to put Auxiliary Power into engines. At that point, the ship is subject to the normal movement constraints of All-Out (can't dodge or make any turn greater than 45 degrees), but weapons and shields can still be fired (since they're operated by different crew).

So, translating this into the ESB chase, an ISD with Space 6 can go All-Out and still fire its weapons while pursuing the Falcon. The Falcon, with Space 8, could potentially outrun the ISD at All-Out, but it can't outrun the pursuing TIE Fighters, and doesn't have enough crew to do everything at once.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
...So, translating this into the ESB chase, an ISD with Space 6 can go All-Out and still fire its weapons while pursuing the Falcon. The Falcon, with Space 8, could potentially outrun the ISD at All-Out, but it can't outrun the pursuing TIE Fighters, and doesn't have enough crew to do everything at once.

I thought they were talking about when Han, Chewie, Obi-Wan, Luke, and the droids escaped Tatooine in ANH. The ISDs did seem to be gaining on them before the jump to lightspeed, but the ISDs going all-out and Han not going all-out to evade would explain in game terms the ISDs catching up, and that is even without increasing the space speed of ISDs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: