The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sulon Star
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Sulon Star
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Sulon Star Reply with quote

Sulon Star

I searched the Rancor Pit & the web, but there seems to be no stat blocks for the Sulon Star, nor even a discussion on the probable size of the ship.
I have recently found a screenshot that was in promotional material, that has a YT-2400 in frame; i am about to use it as a yardstick and make some calculations for size.

While i'm working on that, have any of you made stats for the Sulon Star?
I remember had found & printed stats for it, but can't find it now. Guess i'll try the wayback machine next.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulon Star
The Sulon Star is an odd duck to get sentimental for, but it's from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, one of the best Star Wars games ever made. Thanks to this post on twitter, i have this great pic, where i can use the YT-2400 to measure this cargo freighter/tanker...
YT-2400 Length: 21 meters ≈ 40 pixels
YT-2400 Width: 28.5 meters = 60 pixels
Sulon Star Length: 225.625 meters
Sulon Star Height: 54.15 meters
With these measurements, i can start making stat blocks for D6!

Comparing shots, i am viewing down at an angle, so i need to double the height roughly. So about 110-120 meters... ish?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very hesitant to base an exact length for that ship on that pic. That's not an official Lucasarts or Disney Twitter account, and even the OP doesn't know the source of the image. There's not a lot to judge scale in the actual game itself, but the impression I got (from quite a bit of gameplay) was that the ship was a lot larger. The bridge deck, for example, was quite expansive, with a high ceiling, yet still (as best as I can figure from the view out the main window) was located in the ventral spire, of which there was only one, as seen in your original post. 225 meters puts it about 2/3 the length of a Nimitz-class carrier, and that just feels too small to me. I can't be more specific than that because, again, there's not a lot to work with.

My current headcanon puts the ship in a similar size range as the Super Transport XI, but used as a bulk hauler instead of a container transport, but that's more a result of trying to find a role for the ship that isn't already filled by something else. YMMV.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd be very hesitant to base an exact length for that ship on that pic. That's not an official Lucasarts or Disney Twitter account, and even the OP doesn't know the source of the image. There's not a lot to judge scale in the actual game itself, but the impression I got (from quite a bit of gameplay) was that the ship was a lot larger. The bridge deck, for example, was quite expansive, with a high ceiling, yet still (as best as I can figure from the view out the main window) was located in the ventral spire, of which there was only one, as seen in your original post. 225 meters puts it about 2/3 the length of a Nimitz-class carrier, and that just feels too small to me. I can't be more specific than that because, again, there's not a lot to work with.

My current headcanon puts the ship in a similar size range as the Super Transport XI, but used as a bulk hauler instead of a container transport, but that's more a result of trying to find a role for the ship that isn't already filled by something else. YMMV.

I agree, i had thought of it as bigger, but that shot is the best 'screen evidence' i have, though arguably flimsy it may be. Sizing it in the ballpark of the Super XI 'feels right', but now i'm kinda torn.
I also think the Sulon Star was made as the Hindenburg of Star Wars.
I'm probably gonna be at the drawing board for a while, working out ships at different sizes from the 225.625 meters in my estimate, up to 800 or 900 meters and see what i like.

As for manufacturers, i'm narrowing it down to SoroSuub, KDY, CEC and Koensayr as the most likely candidates. Thoughts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going strictly by looks, my first impression is Rendili; it has a vaguely Dreadnought Cruiser look to it.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Going strictly by looks, my first impression is Rendili; it has a vaguely Dreadnought Cruiser look to it.

Good point! Adding Rendili to the list! Thanks!
Surprised i didn't think of that...
KurdtLives
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:

I'm probably gonna be at the drawing board for a while, working out ships at different sizes from the 225.625 meters in my estimate, up to 800 or 900 meters and see what i like.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I was just now trying to figure this out for my own RPG'ing, and I think the shots of the Lambda Shuttle flying up to and docking in the Sulon Star are probably more useful than the old promo shot with the YT-2400. Here is a link to what I hope is the exact timecode of the two shots: https://youtu.be/JmD-HlPAVTw?si=8DUVKwN33jJLRVvT&t=984
Of course the scale of ships in 90's video game cutscenes probably varies shot to shot but based on this example and the fact the ship seems sprawling from playing a huge chunk of the game in it, I'd say she is pushing a kilometer.
Also, put me down for it being made by Rendili, probably post Clone Wars trying to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING with a bunch of partially built Dreadnaught-class medium cruisers no one needs now.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KurdtLives, welcome to the land of the living! That may be the longest registration to first post in the books. Thanks for chiming in!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KurdtLives wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Sorry to necro this thread, but I was just now trying to figure this out for my own RPG'ing, and I think the shots of the Lambda Shuttle flying up to and docking in the Sulon Star are probably more useful than the old promo shot with the YT-2400. Here is a link to what I hope is the exact timecode of the two shots: https://youtu.be/JmD-HlPAVTw?si=8DUVKwN33jJLRVvT&t=984
Of course the scale of ships in 90's video game cutscenes probably varies shot to shot but based on this example and the fact the ship seems sprawling from playing a huge chunk of the game in it, I'd say she is pushing a kilometer.
Also, put me down for it being made by Rendili, probably post Clone Wars trying to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING with a bunch of partially built Dreadnaught-class medium cruisers no one needs now.

Thank you, KurdtLives! Those scenes with the Sulon Star in formation with the Vengeance & the Imperial are most telling!
Appearing ≈1.5-2 Imperial SDs long puts the Sulon Star in the 2,400-3,200 meters range!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
KurdtLives
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
KurdtLives, welcome to the land of the living! That may be the longest registration to first post in the books. Thanks for chiming in!

Laughing As I have turned 40 I have finally realized I will never break record like 4th quarter scoring of the bench in a Celtics playoff game so this will suffice.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KurdtLives wrote:

Dreadnaughts themselves would make poor freighter conversions. It’s more believable if you use Dreadnaught components to make completely new ships.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Those scenes with the Sulon Star in formation with the Vengeance & the Imperial are most telling!
Appearing ≈1.5-2 Imperial SDs long puts the Sulon Star in the 2,400-3,200 meters range!

There’s no point of reference in the Vengeance scene to justify making the Sulon Star that long. The earlier scene with the Lambda is a much better source, especially since it’s possible to generate relatively accurate dimensions of the Lambda from film footage.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked if anyone on the Fractalsponge Discord had scaled this, and got a response: 1,856.25 meters.

Method used:
-Compare known height of Lambda with height of the freighter in the above linked scene.
-Compare generated height to length from side profile shot seen later in video to generate length.

It may not be exact, but it’s close enough to be getting on with.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Sulon Star @ the Fractalsponge Discord Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I asked if anyone on the Fractalsponge Discord had scaled this, and got a response: 1,856.25 meters.

Method used:
-Compare known height of Lambda with height of the freighter in the above linked scene.
-Compare generated height to length from side profile shot seen later in video to generate length.

It may not be exact, but it’s close enough to be getting on with.

Thanks! I'll work that in to the project & revise my lineup!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: