The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Comouflage Poncho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Comouflage Poncho Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Comouflage Poncho Reply with quote

I was watching the final season of Lost in Space yesterday and there was an interesting piece of equipment that I cannot remember has a D6 analog already. If not it surprises me it does not. It is all-weather gear that also reduces the effectiveness of scanning for the wearer. I believe this is for life signs only and does not include shielding from electrical scanning for an item currently in use. So blasters and items requiring triggering wouldn't ping but a flashlight would. Thoughts?

Quote:
CAMOUFLAGE PONCHO
Model: M/tiM-A Camo-poncho
Type: Military poncho
Scale: Character
Cost: 500
Availability: 3
Game Notes: Compact, water and windproof, six pockets, reversible, camouflage poncho for individual environments (forest, desert, etc). Adds +1D to sneak, +2D at ranges of more than 30+ meters or if the wearer remains motionless. Furthermore it breaks up the wearer's bio-signature increasing sensor difficulty skill checks by +10. A character wounded while wearing the poncho has its overall effectiveness reduced by -1 pip. If heavily damaged the effectiveness is reduced by -1D and the bio-signature difficulty modifier is reduced to -5.
Source: Inspired by equipment worn on Lost in Space (2019) s03e01, mechanics by Emperor Ollie

Modified: Sat-Dec-4-2021

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:50 pm; edited 5 times in total
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest are:

Quote:
Camouflage Poncho
Model: A/KT Camouflage Poncho
Type: Cloth fatigues
Cost: 250
Availability: 1
Game Notes: Adds +1D to sneak, +2D at ranges of more than 35 meters.
Source: Rules of Engagement – The Rebel SpecForce Handbook (page 33)

Quote:
Camouflage Fatigue
Model: Typical camouflage fatigue
Type: Military fatigue
Game Notes: +2D to sneak in forest at ranges of 35+
Source: Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi (page 62)

Quote:
Shadowsuit
Model: Ayellixe/Krongbing Textiles Shadowsuit
Type: Anti-sensor suit
Cost: 600
Game Notes: Adds +2D to sneak.
Source: Rules of Engagement – The Rebel SpecForce Handbook (page 34)

Quote:
Camo Armor
Model: Creshaldyne Industries Scout Armor
Type: Light scout armor
Cost: 1,500
Availability: 2
Game Effects:
Basic Suit: +1D physical, +2 energy for torso, arms and legs.
Camo Field: +1D to difficulty of search or Perception rolls for those trying to spot the wearer if the wearer remains motionless.
Source: Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters (page 87), Gundark’s Fantastic Technology (pages 49-50), Rules of Engagement – The Rebel SpecForce Handbook (page 34)

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's almost identical to the Camouflage Poncho on pg. 33 of Rules of Engagement. The addition of Sensor Baffling is a nice touch, though; infantry don't get nearly enough love in the SWU, especially the Alliance Ground Forces.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had started to say the same..

SWR's version is a nice upgrade to the ROE version, and at double the cost fits in nicely.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's almost identical to the Camouflage Poncho on pg. 33 of Rules of Engagement. The addition of Sensor Baffling is a nice touch, though; infantry don't get nearly enough love in the SWU, especially the Alliance Ground Forces.

Thanks. It is based on the poncho with the additional bio-scattering. I also added the bonus to remain motionless as this makes sense.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Though i wonder, if they get hit by ionic weaponry would that baffling get neutered?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Though i wonder, if they get hit by ionic weaponry would that baffling get neutered?

Why would it? Ionization affects electronics; this is just a layer of baffling material sewn into the poncho.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Why would it? Ionization affects electronics; this is just a layer of baffling material sewn into the poncho.

In RAW, when a character wearing armor is wounded, the armor is damaged and becomes less effective. If the poncho has a blaster hole in it, then it is not completely covering the character so its sensor countermeasure may be less effective. I would probably disregard stun blasts as having any effect on the poncho's baffling ability, but not disregard normal damage as reducing the sensor protection.

Maybe the poncho even provides some small level of protection against ion damage.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Correct, this is a low tech item and does not require the use of an energy pack, so a stun bolt and even a blaster bolt would not make it stop functioning.

Whill wrote:
In RAW, when a character wearing armor is wounded, the armor is damaged and becomes less effective. If the poncho has a blaster hole in it, then it is not completely covering the character so its sensor countermeasure may be less effective. I would probably disregard stun blasts as having any effect on the poncho's baffling ability, but not disregard normal damage as reducing the sensor protection.

This is a good point. We can extrapolate from rules for damaged armor (REUP p.94):

REUP p.94 wrote:
Wounded ... Lightly damaged (-1 pip)
Incapacitated ... Heavily damaged (-1D)
Mortally wounded ... Severely damaged (Useless but may be repaired)
Killed ... Destroyed

Whill wrote:
Maybe the poncho even provides some small level of protection against ion damage.

This is possible, but as I envisioned it, its more for protection from weather and camouflage. Its a poncho, so its big and meant to be worn over other clothes. As its military grade it could be assumed to be large enough to cover a man from head to top of boots while wearing a full kit, which would include a backpack. In this case, he would have protection from physical and energy (stun) from the armor he is wearing beneath the poncho.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Plus what's making that 'baffling'? Electronics?

Ion should take that down.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill said it's a layer of sensor baffling material sewn into the poncho. That makes sense to me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Plus what's making that 'baffling'? Electronics?

Ion should take that down.

Radar-absorbent material is a thing in the real world. Stealth planes are generally coated in it. Submarines have anechoic tiling on their outer hull to reduce their sonar signature. Neither of these can be jammed.

This is just a layer of similar material within the fabric of the poncho itself.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, but they can be ruined by taking damage, or getting electrocuted (as one stealth plane had happen, after a bolt of lightning whacked it..)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
NO, but they can be ruined by taking damage, or getting electrocuted (as one stealth plane had happen, after a bolt of lightning whacked it..)

I think a stealth plane being struck by lightning has bigger problems than whether or not its stealth is still working. The idea behind ionization is that it temporarily disrupts the transmission of electricity and electrical signals. If the poncho has no electrical components, it won't take ionization damage.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

To specifically address my vision of this item. It is low-tech, meaning it has no moving parts and requires no power to operate. The scattering of the wearer's bio-signal is due to the material the poncho is made of. Again, this is Star Wars, it works this way, enough said.

The only way in which the poncho becomes less effective is 1. if there is less of it (scanner reflective material) or 2. part of it is missing which distorts the surface camouflage (visual sighting of the wearer).

Per the Damaged Armor chart if the wearer is damaged the item is -1 pip to its effectiveness, if Incapacitated it is -1D to its effectiveness, if Mortally Wounded the item is no longer effective until repaired (in this case because of the material and camo pattern it is no longer functional for its original purpose, but may still provide some protection from the elements), and finally if the wearer is Killed the poncho is destroyed and unusable.

REUP p.94 wrote:
Wounded ... Lightly damaged (-1 pip)
Incapacitated ... Heavily damaged (-1D)
Mortally wounded ... Severely damaged (Useless but may be repaired)
Killed ... Destroyed

Alternatively, you could use the Damaged Weapons chart and give the poncho material a body strength of 2D.

REUP p.95 wrote:
0-3 ... Not seriously damaged
4-8 ... Lightly damaged
9-12 ... Heavily damaged
13-15 ... Severely damaged
16+ ... Destroyed

Lightly damaged: lose −1D of their damage value.
Heavily damaged: lose −2D off their damage and add +10 to all difficulties to use in combat.
Severely Damaged: cannot be used, but may be repaired.
Destroyed: weapons may not be repaired

Personally I think the Damaged Armor rules handle this better than the Damaged Weapon rules.

To clarify things I could add to the Game Notes "A character wounded while wearing the poncho has its overall effectiveness reduced by -1 pip. If heavily damaged the effectiveness is reduced by -1D and the bio-signature difficulty modifier is reduced to -5."
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: