The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

High Velocity Hyper-Exit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> High Velocity Hyper-Exit Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It definitely needs reasons why we haven't seen it happen before.

Well, for starters...
    1) Difficulty, so only skilled pilots ever even attempt it.
    2) Safety/Legality, as doing this intentionally violates pretty much every local safety ordnance. If it happens by accident, fine, but you're still going to be on the screen of local system patrol, who are going to want to do a very close examination of your ship's flight recorder to make sure it was an accident, and even then you may still be looking at fines or some form of punishment.
    3) Sensor Splash, as in a ship doing this is pretty obvious, so it's not something you can do without attracting attention.
So, the main people who do this are skilled professional navigators who don't particularly care about official attention and want to evade any patrol / ambush ships that might be waiting for them when they drop out of hyperspace. That pretty much limits it to military scouts (as mentioned in the OP) and psycho thrill-seekers like blockade runners. It's not something you want to try and pull with a fleet, like at Endor, because it's not precise enough to allow you to pinpoint your exact endpoint, and there's a very real chance of your formation coming apart and/or ships colliding with each other due to minor variations in exit speeds.

Quote:
But thanks for making it clear this depends on gaining the boon of relativistic speed while ignoring the drawback of time dilation. When I was 18, I wrote a paper on special relativity that was more than half of my Physics grade that quarter, so I don't have access to the level of disbelief suspension this would require for me, so I'll bow out of the conversation.

Respectfully, I think you're reading too much into this. It can still work even without relativistic shielding if you assume that the velocities involved either aren't high enough for it to be an issue, or that the speed isn't maintained long enough for it to come into play, or some combination of both. "Significant fraction of lightspeed" can mean whatever you want it to mean, so long as the end result is that the ship is traveling much faster than it normally would for a short period of time, with the result that, if any patrol or ambushing ships were waiting near the system's normal jump point, the ship would be well past them by the time it slows down.

The bare-bones of what I'm thinking is:
    A ship using this method can safely handle up to 8x its base Move on exit (double All-Out), but must slow by 1 step per round until at or below its All-Out speed.

To perform the move, increase the Astrogation Difficulty by +10. On a successful roll, roll 2D. The result is the multiplier applied to the ship's Space when it first exits. If the modifier is higher than 8, the ship takes 1D Damage for each step over until it slows to 8x Space or lower. For every 5 points by which the Astrogator succeeds, he may move the modifier higher or lower.

Use of this method reduces the Difficulty to Detect the ship by 10 in the first round and 5 for every round after until the ship slows to All-Out or below.

The ship can not alter course, and must continue in a straight line until it drops to Full Speed or lower.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: