The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill Advancement Costs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Skill Advancement Costs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Skill Advancement Costs Reply with quote

As I was making a veteran adversary for my players - someone with 225 CPs - it occurred to me that it is really tedious to do the work of advancing skills one pip at a time.

In 2R&E, the cost to advance a skill is the number before the die. So to go from 2D to 2D+1 costs 2 CP. But what if you want to advance a character from their base of 2D to 7D? It takes a long time to calculate that, going one pip at a time.

I don't know if anybody has done this before, but yesterday I made up a chart that shows what it costs in total CP to advance a regular skill from any value to any other value (well, anything from 2D to 7D).

This site formats things wonky, so I don't know if I'll be able to easily post it here, but anyone who is interested can feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you as a Word doc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be tedious, but it should be easy to calculate..

Going from 2d, to 7d would be
2+2+2 = 6
3+3+3 = 9
4+4+4 = 12
5+5+5 = 15
6+6+6 = 18

So adding that up, we get 6 + 9 = 15. Add in the 15 from the 5d line, and you are at 30cp. Add in the 12cp from 4d, and 18cp from 6cp, and we are at 60cp total..
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took DougRed4's idea and expanded on it into a spreadsheet on Google Docs if anyone's interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wpbAUfC-gu_6kufhv3q0hCbJRATUMeQzdte4FT66lpI/edit?usp=sharing

I verified using garkal's example above and can see that 2D to 7D comes out as 60cp as calculated.

I took it from 1D all the way to 12D+2, with the benefit that you can highlight the row of the starting value, and see the cost to set the NPCs skills to particular values.

If anyone sees a mistake, please let me know and I'll correct it!

~Ty
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work ty... Thumbs Up
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, indeed.

At first, I wondered if you might want to do a separate chart for Advanced Skills, but that should be a simple matter of just doubling the CP result. Of course, that brings up other issues of doubling, since we can't know exactly how many of the dice in a character's Force skills were improved without the benefit of a teacher...

Also worth considering is whether or not you allow for Attribute Improvement in your system, since that can potentially throw off your calculations. My initial thought is to just assume no, but use the Attribute Improvement CP Cost to calculate something like the Royal Guards, with their 5D Dexterity (as in 1D over the maximum allowable for a human, so somewhere in there, they improved their Attribute by 3 pips).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm thinking of adding a new sheet for skill specializations (at one half the cost rounded up), so instead of a cost of 5 to improve a specialization from 5D+1 to 5D+2, it would actually cost 3cp.
Since each step needs to be halved, or halved and rounded, I think that requires a new sheet.

For advanced skills it would be as simple as doubling the cost, but if I'm breaking out the other two might as well add a new sheet for that as well.

And then improving attributes is 10 times the number before the 'D' in cp IIRC.... So a fourth sheet is in order.

I'll see if I can get to them over the course of the weekend.

~Ty
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
I took DougRed4's idea and expanded on it into a spreadsheet on Google Docs if anyone's interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wpbAUfC-gu_6kufhv3q0hCbJRATUMeQzdte4FT66lpI/edit?usp=sharing

I verified using garkal's example above and can see that 2D to 7D comes out as 60cp as calculated.

~Ty

I see this neat little table having a special place on my hard drive. Thank you!
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, updated for Standard Skills, Advanced Skills and Attribute costs.

There's a blank sheet for Specializations, which I'm working on now.

I kept the same grid (up to 12D+2) for everything, though I doubt it'll of use that high for Attributes, I was just trying to keep everything the same for a common look.

Will update with costs for specialization skills (1/2 cost round up) as soon as I'm done.

~Ty
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
been staring at formulas too long...

updated with skill specializations, that one was a little tricky until I figured out the excel formula to use, I'm apparently a little rusty....

So now there's a sheet for standard skills (CP cost equals number before 'D'), skill specializations (CP cost equals half number before 'D' rounded up), advanced skills (CP cost equals twice the number before 'D'), and attributes (CP cost equals ten times number before 'D'), all listing from 1D to 12D+2.

If anyone can spot check just a couple on each sheet, that would be great, otherwise if they're good, then there they are.

~Ty
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And updated one last time (unless any edits are required).

Formatting only, now the header rows will remain static as you scroll left, or right, or down.

~Ty
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Yeah I'm thinking of adding a new sheet for skill specializations (at one half the cost rounded up), so instead of a cost of 5 to improve a specialization from 5D+1 to 5D+2, it would actually cost 3cp.
Since each step needs to be halved, or halved and rounded, I think that requires a new sheet.

For advanced skills it would be as simple as doubling the cost, but if I'm breaking out the other two might as well add a new sheet for that as well.

And then improving attributes is 10 times the number before the 'D' in cp IIRC.... So a fourth sheet is in order.

I'll see if I can get to them over the course of the weekend.

~Ty

Sounds like you have some work for this weekend...
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

already done.... Very Happy

Should have everything here:
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much thanks for the hard work.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. The spreadsheet format is handy. And thanks to DougRed for kicking this off.

TyCaine wrote:
already done.... Very Happy

Should have everything here:

Instead of downloading and uploading it to the Rancor Pit Library, do you mind if I just put a link directly to this google doc?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind at all
That doc is shared to all with the link, so it's unrestricted it that sense.

It doesn't take much room on my drive so also as far as I'm concerned it can sit and be available.

And you're all welcome.

If it helps anyone in some small way to create NPCs then that's fine by me.

~Ty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: