The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Powers as Aspects of Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Powers as Aspects of Skill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Force Powers as Aspects of Skill Reply with quote

So, thinking through some things related to a Force Attribute. Here's some of my design goals.

1) Relatively smoothly integrates into the rest of the system. I don't want to invent an entirely new system for this.

2) Relatively easy to use with the books as written. Obviously, some of this goes out the window as soon as I say "Force Attribute", but I want this to require relatively little supporting text to make sense.

So, we start with the idea that your Force Attribute is your raw force potential. because I'm me, I'm going to say Force Sensitive happens when you spend 1D of starting attribute dice on the Force Attribute, or 20 CPs to get 1D of Force Attribute later in the game.

Under the Force Attribute is the three Force Skills... Control, Sense, Alter. These are what is rolled for your Force powers.

Force Powers come in three basic varieties
Untrained (anyone with the Force attribute can use them)
Trained (you must have specifically learned this power in order to use it)
Expert (this power depends on more than one Force Skill, and operates independently of your Force Skills or Attribute rating).

For the most part, if a power does not have a prereq, it is Untrained.
If it has a prereq, it is trained.
If it requires multiple force skills, it is Expert.

Using this, we wind up with

Control, Untrained
Absorb/Dissipate Energy
Accelerate Healing
Concentration
Control Pain
Detoxify Poison
Hibernation Trance
Resist Stun

Control, Trained
Control Disease
Emptiness
Reduce Injury
Remain Conscious

Sense, Untrained
Life Detection
Magnify Senses
Sense Force

Sense, Trained
Life Sense
Receptive Telepathy
Postcognition

Alter, Untrained
Telekinesis

Alter, Trained
Injure/Kill

We'll say Trained powers can be learned when someone increases one of the Force skills by a pip, if their teacher is so inclined (and knows it), or can be learned independently for 5 CPs (if they have a means of being trained in the skills). Expert Skills? Those require a trainer and 5 CP to learn at 1D, then require twice the x in xD to advance.

Expert Skills:
Lightsaber Combat
Projective Telepathy
Accelerate Another's Healing
Control Another's Disease
Control Another's Pain
Place Another in Hibernation Trance
Return Another to Consciousneses
Transfer Force
Affect Mind

What are the prereqs to learn Expert Powers? Dice equal to the random difficulties in the relevant skills... and someone to teach them to you.

Lightsaber Combat C: 3D S: 2D
Projective Telepathy C 1D S 1D
Accelerate Another's Healing C 1D A 1D
Control Another's Disease C 1D A 1D
Control Another's Pain C 1D A 2D
Place Another in Hibernation Trance C 1D A 1D
Return Another to Consciousneses C 2D A 2D
Transfer Force C 2D A 3D
Affect Mind C 1D S 2D A 1D (decided on "average Perception" for the sense difficulty)

You may look at these and say "Wait, man, this makes these powers laughably easy to acquire; a starting character with 3D in Force will be able to learn any or all of these!" That is correct. BUT, since they're all independent powers, they are all dice/CP sinks. And, since they're not linked to the attribute, they still remain fairly weak... but they also become their own skill, rather than two conjoined skills.... so, for example, Lightsaber Combat isn't two force skills being kept up, just one... but it also doesn't improve you based on your Control and Sense, but just on your Lightsaber Combat skill.

The big problem, to me, from this scheme is the name "Advanced", just because "Advanced Skills" has a meaning in the system, but I can't be arsed to think of something better.

{ETA: Removed "Advanced" and replaced with "Expert" on DougRed4's suggestion)

Last edited by MrNexx on Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am testing out almost the exact same system for my new Jedi character in my game.

So far I'm liking how this is working.

As for a name, you could simply call them Expert Skills.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
As for a name, you could simply call them Expert Skills.

BOOM! There we are!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: