The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite SW Film Trilogy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Favorite SW Film Trilogy? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite SW trilogy?
Original/Classic Trilogy
94%
 94%  [ 16 ]
Prequel Trilogy
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Disney Trio ("sequel trilogy")
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Favorite SW Film Trilogy? Reply with quote

How do you rank the trilogies if you have to consider each "trilogy" as a whole? Please vote for your single fave "trilogy" and reply with your rankings. Voting is anonymous. Thanks!

Here are mine.

1. CT
2. PT
3. DT
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Classic Trilogy first....

Then maybe the prequels, though I honestly didn't like the movies so much, I appreciated the depth they were trying to add to the universe with the clone wars etc.

The Disney sequels are.....an abomination.
But that's my own opinion only.
I appreciate the fact they're trying to add interest, but....no.

Have to say my own universe is still firmly rooted in the EU or Legends, or whatever it's classified as these days. Basically staying somewhere in the time just after the start of Empire, Hoth base had been lost and the rebels are scrambling.
That's my preferred timeframe.

My only caveat to the EU is that I like the Mandalorian series, and how it's added more interest in the Mandalorian culture. And since that's supposedly not long after the destruction of the second death star and the new Republic are trying to maintain a tenuous newly established control, it kind of fits. For me at least.

But anyway....
Definitely Classic all the way....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh most assuredly the Original trilogy!!
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Definitely Classic Trilogy first....

Then maybe the prequels, though I honestly didn't like the movies so much, I appreciated the depth they were trying to add to the universe with the clone wars etc.

The Disney sequels are.....an abomination.\

They're both abominations, to use your word, whose failures are so vast as to be difficult to adequately express or quantify. At least if you watched the sequels with the sound off you'd be forgiven for mistaking them for cool movies. So for me technically the sequels are a solid if distant second place, despite being irredeemable failures in their own right. I was giving them until the last movie to see if the corpus of work was gonna pull out a save. It did not, the final film being the worst of the three for my purposes.

I am too jaded to really care though. The above should be taken as a clinical and dispassionate assessment. I intend no emotion behind the words. I'd imagine for people who like the prequels, this whole notion of Star Wars letting you down must be a horrifying new experience. Me, I'm used to it. George abandoned me when he decided to rest the brand when I turned 4 or 5. Then the much anticipated EU novels were just beach reading. The prequels were just the final nail in the coffin.
My other favorite franchises have all died of artistic egoism or been bought out and died of corporate suititis, too. I think this is a huge part of why I was driven so deeply into historical subjects. No one owns the copyright. It's very painful to love something that is owned by someone else.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite SW Film Trilogy? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Here are mine.

1. CT
2. PT
3. DT

Yup.

or maybe

1. CT
2. PT
4,076,002. DT
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite SW Film Trilogy? Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Whill wrote:

Here are mine.

1. CT
2. PT
3. DT

Yup.

or maybe

1. CT
2. PT
4,076,002. DT
The latter, I think.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Such hatred for the DT? Shocked

I like all of them, though I like the CT the best. I very much like the PT, too, though, especially Episodes 1 and 3.

And I also like the DT, though I'm not a huge fan of Episode 8.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, Classic Trilogy is best trilogy to me. Beyond that? I sort of have to rate it by movies... TLJ is great, TFA was nostalgic, RoTS was fine but the others are kind of a mixed bag of neat ideas, interesting visuals, and utter crap.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not known ANYONE who ever felt the prequal trilogy was ahead of the original trilogy yet...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Wow! Such hatred for the DT? Shocked

I like all of them, though I like the CT the best. I very much like the PT, too, though, especially Episodes 1 and 3.

And I also like the DT, though I'm not a huge fan of Episode 8.

My main takeaway from the DT was that it was a blatant cash grab. Everything about it felt phoned-in, as though the execs at Disney figured they could just slap a Star Wars logo on an incoherent mess Frankensteined out of pieces of earlier, far better films, and no one would notice the blatant shortcomings. For all its flaws, I can at least appreciate the prequel trilogy in the sense that Lucas had a story arc in mind (the fall of Anakin and the Republic) and didn't just try to blatantly carbon copy the original trilogy.

The Risible of Skywalker is the first Star Wars film I refused to watch in theater, and the only one I haven't bought a copy of. In my personal canon, the Disney Trilogy is placed on approximately the same level as some deeply mediocre fan fiction I've read; in fact, I have seen some SW fan fics that are far superior to what Disney gave us.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have not known ANYONE who ever felt the prequal trilogy was ahead of the original trilogy yet...

Honestly, the prequels could've been as good as the originals in their own way, if only Lucas had had someone he listened to that was willing to say 'no' to him, and to outsource the script-writing.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite common for Millennials to feel that the Prequels are vastly preferred/superior to the OT/CT.

Probably because they're the ones from their childhood.

Just like I prefer Roger Moore to Sean Connery; I objectively can respect that Connery's acting is better and the stories are less campy and more serious, but there's a nostalgia factor for the stories or characters you were introduced to or grew up with.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

Just like I prefer Roger Moore to Sean Connery

HERESY!! Break out the torches and pitchforks!!
Laughing Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

You must mostly know old Star Wars fans...

DougRed4 wrote:
It's quite common for Millennials to feel that the Prequels are vastly preferred/superior to the OT/CT.

Probably because they're the ones from their childhood.

I know younger Star Wars fans who like the PT the best overall, but they still really like the CT too.

ThrorII wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
Just like I prefer Roger Moore to Sean Connery

HERESY!! Break out the torches and pitchforks!!
Laughing Laughing

lol, right.

DougRed4 wrote:
I objectively can respect that Connery's acting is better and the stories are less campy and more serious, but there's a nostalgia factor for the stories or characters you were introduced to or grew up with.

Nostalgia can be a powerful factor. I saw all of the Connery (and Lazenby) Bond films, and all but the last two Moore films, as a kid (edited for TV versions). But the first Bond films I saw in the theater were the Timothy Dalton ones when I was a teen, which I enjoyed as a slightly updated continuation of the genre. I kinda felt like my first theatrical Bond was "my Bond" at the time but I still wasn't a huge Bond fan yet. That didn't occur until seeing Goldeneye, the first Pierce Brosnan film. I absolutely loved that and the next two Bond films. His last one wasn't quite up to par with his first three, but I still really enjoyed it. Although I like Connery more than Moore overall, I feel the Brosnan films were the pinnacle of evolution of the original film Bond which started with Connery. Daniel Craig is great too but Bond really is a different beast now, a full reboot of the Bond franchise, so I find it hard to compare the Craig films to the other Bonds.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, of course, your first Doctor is always YOUR Doctor. Wink

That said, while my wife and I haven't really talked Star Wars (it's not her thing), I know that she reacts poorly to old special effects. I've haven't tried her on anything that's mostly practical, but she simply can't watch 90s Sci-Fi, because the special effects turn her off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: