The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

You are on this council...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> You are on this council...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: You are on this council... Reply with quote

Ok, this is a specific peeve of mine. Since it's been coming up in memes recently, I figured I'd grumble about it.

Why put Anakin on the Council, but not make him a Master? Wouldn't it make sense to do the absolute opposite?

"Ok, we're going to recognize your skill and service, but we're not going to give you a say in the general governance of the Order" makes sense to me. "You get the rank, but we don't want you in charge." Sure, it's a bit of a snub, but Anakin wouldn't necessarily want to be on the Council anyway... he's out fighting the war. You could even PHRASE it so it's not a snub. "We are recognizing you as a Master, but your role as general is so important that we are not burdening you with a Council position at this time." Boom. We're promoting you, we're saying you're special, but we're keeping you out of the leadership of the Jedi.

They went, instead, with "We're going to have you help us lead, but we're going to specifically insult you by not giving you the promotion you earned."

Arrrrgggghhhh.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I read the Revenge of the Sith novelization, but it's worth looking at in/re this. It gives insight into the thought processes of the various characters about why they made the decisions they did.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's been a while since I read the Revenge of the Sith novelization, but it's worth looking at in/re this. It gives insight into the thought processes of the various characters about why they made the decisions they did.

I'll have to check it out, then.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that iirc his putting on the council, was specifically a move Palpaltine made, NOT the council, i think it was fitting they recognized his status on the council, in Deference to the chancelor, NOT his status as a master..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory: denying Anakin the rank of master was a test to see if he truly was ready to be a master. The council had to have at least an idea of Anakin's personality and temperament, so they devised a test tailored for him in that moment. And he failed the test. If he had accepted the obvious snub with some degree of grace - as opposed to being pouty, entitled and complaining about how unfair it was - they might've acted differently.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That matches with what we saw from mace towards anakin..
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The council chooses their own members. Anakin was placed on the council as the Chancellor's representative, not as a 'normal' council member. It is my belief that the council could have denied the Chancellor's request for a rep on the council. They accepted it because they thought they could use Anakin to spy on Palpatine.

It was fitting that he was not granted the rank of master. He had not trained anyone yet, nor was he elevated by the Jedi Council itself.

Palpatine knew this, and knew of Anakin's ambitions. He knew placing Anakin on the council in this fashion would widen the rift between Anakin and the Jedi.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: You are on this council... Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Ok, this is a specific peeve of mine. Since it's been coming up in memes recently, I figured I'd grumble about it.

Why put Anakin on the Council, but not make him a Master? Wouldn't it make sense to do the absolute opposite?

"Ok, we're going to recognize your skill and service, but we're not going to give you a say in the general governance of the Order" makes sense to me. "You get the rank, but we don't want you in charge." Sure, it's a bit of a snub, but Anakin wouldn't necessarily want to be on the Council anyway... he's out fighting the war. You could even PHRASE it so it's not a snub. "We are recognizing you as a Master, but your role as general is so important that we are not burdening you with a Council position at this time." Boom. We're promoting you, we're saying you're special, but we're keeping you out of the leadership of the Jedi.

They went, instead, with "We're going to have you help us lead, but we're going to specifically insult you by not giving you the promotion you earned."

Arrrrgggghhhh.

Yes, as garhkal and ThrorII point out, you are forgetting a major plot point of the film (no novelization needed for this). The High Council did not put Anakin on the High Council. Palpatine appointed him there as his personal representative to the council, which the council only begrudgingly accepted. Anakin wasn't promoted to master because he wasn't master material (he was an iffy knight as it was). Palpatine knew the council wouldn't make him a master, and that it would frustrate Anakin. Palpatine also knew they would ask Anakin to spy on his mentor, which would also frustrate Anakin. It was all part of Palpatine's manipulations to make Anakin feel the Jedi were keeping secrets from him and plotting against Palpatine, so Anakin would betray the Jedi and be a principle instrument of the revenge of the Sith. In the end, the plan worked nearly perfectly (except for Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin's offspring surviving, and Vader being cyborgified).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I did forget that. Makes a lot more sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: