The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Changes to Lightsaber Combat power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Changes to Lightsaber Combat power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Changes to Lightsaber Combat power Reply with quote

I always found this power to not make all that much sense, so I made some changes I wanted you all to rip apart and give me some harsh feedback on

here we go:

Lightsaber Combat
Difficulty: Moderate Control+Sense
Effect: Add Control Dice to Lightsaber Skill

The jedi succeeds with a moderate check against the average of his control+sense skills.
(Control+Sense)/2

On sucess he adds his Control Dice as a bonus to his Lightsaber skill, Weapon Damage, or Defense
Lightsaber Combat has only a limited duration; Control Dice number of rounds

The jedi can decide how to alocate these bonus dice as he see fit between skill, damage, defense or he can
spend a dice to allow the power to last an additional full round.
The Jedi can spend a force point to dounle the power's bonus dice, but the power's duration tripples

This force power also have special MAP rules

Example: Charot faces off with a small band of pirates and he uses the force to enhance his lightsaber
combat abilities.

He rolls for his Control+Sense Average and succeeds on a moderate difficulty.
He has Control 6D and can add this number to his Lightsaber skill, or number of additional rounds of duration
Charot's choises last the lenght of the of the power use and can nit be changed until he uses the power again

Charot decides to spend 1D to raise his Lightsaber Damage to 6D
and he decides to spend another 2D to increase his lightsaber skill to 7D+1
he then spends another 2D to increase his defense and blaster deflection ability for 9D+1
he spends his last 1D to keep upt this power for +1 round for a total of 7

Special MAP rule: if the jedi uses any other power than lightsaber combat, the effect of the power is
lowered by -1D this includes the power's duration.
-Example: Charot struggles with the band of pirates and the fights drags on, he decides to use the force to
distract one of the pirates, and incurs a MAP penalty to his Lightsaber Combat Power, weaking the power
due to a lsight lack of focus.

He now only has 5 Dice to allcoate for 5 rounds, he looses any rounds he previously had extra
and he must look over his dice allocation as to where to remove one dice, and charot choose this dice to be
the one he used for extra duration, taking him back to his original 6 for the exta 7th, and back firther to
5 rounds of power duration.
If he uses another power during this time he suffers an addtional MAP
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a dice pool and the versatility it provides.

However, I would not allow an increase in damage.

Unless there is a method for all players to increase damage, force user or not.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I like the idea of a dice pool and the versatility it provides.

However, I would not allow an increase in damage.

Unless there is a method for all players to increase damage, force user or not.

The normal use allows you to add ALL the control dice into damage, by RAW, and I too don't like that, but will allow this, but then you have no boost to the actual skill, or your defense, but "if" you hit you really kill, and this goes on, until you break the power, meaning that no matter what you can only deal more damage.

so that is a trade of and why I wanted to make it more versitile, I would allow damage, but give you the option to not use all the dice for that so that it simply makes more sense.

I do think that theough the force it is reasonable to a degree at least that a jedi can increas his weapon damage, becuse of the force connection with the crystal.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 100% aware of the normal rules on lightsaber damage.
It is a very common house rule to address it.

I give sense to parry, and control to hit.

It is not about any narrative justification - it is about jedi and their lightsaber being too powerful after a while, combined with other characters not having such options - just my opinion.

However, what works for your game, works for your game.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mama tried I like your concept. I know though for my group a dice pool would be too unwieldy in play. However with the right group it should work fine.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

It is not about any narrative justification - it is about jedi and their lightsaber being too powerful after a while, combined with other characters not having such options - just my opinion.

I think i am going to use your concepts here. Do you still make the Jedi roll to activate the Powers?

Also is it me or by RAW Lightsaber should be Alter not Control? You are affecting the saber’s damage after all.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
pakman wrote:

I think i am going to use your concepts here. Do you still make the Jedi roll to activate the Powers?

Also is it me or by RAW Lightsaber should be Alter not Control? You are affecting the saber’s damage after all.

Activating power:
I have jedi activate power.
But in my game, they only use Control to activate (Moderate Difficulty).
(I changed most force powers to only a single roll to use - as by raw, it felt like a LOT of extraneous die rolls). Yes, that makes it easier to use.

All of my powers are more accessible to force users at lower skill levels (as opposed to starting force users being almost useless) - but all of them have had their power scaling reduced as well - so while they can be used sooner, they don't get overpowered for a very long time.

Force Skill to use:
By raw damage is control. Like I said, I changed this.

I don't add to damage - this gets out of hand. Control adds to hit, Sense adds to parry.

Other Questions did not ask.. Wink
Mine is called "force combat" - as not all force users are jedi, and not all use lightsabers. Control activates the power.

The bonus to hit is based on the player's Control skill.
(you can control your body better, and thus able to hit where you intend better and have faster coordination etc.).

The bonus to defense is based on the player's Sense skill.
(you can sense where your opponent will be attacking etc.).

Technically, it should be a blend of both - but I am trying to keep things simple in my game of smugglers, space wizards and lazer swords. Wink

I worked on simplifying most of the force powers in my game - but that is another topic.....
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to do another call out to the OP Mamatried, that this is a great idea (if I am understanding it is only one roll).

Quote:
The jedi succeeds with a moderate check against the average of his control+sense skills.
(Control+Sense)/2

In reviewing and making updates to the crazy complexity of force powers in the game, one of the things I did was make each power only a single roll to activate. I chose what I felt was the most suited skill (control, sense, alter) but this blended idea is a really good one.

(maybe not for my guys - they are bad at math... Wink
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that bothers me about Lightsaber Combat Power is that you are supposed to use Both Control and Sense at the same time. The more I think about it, I’m just going to allow a Jedi to use only one if wanted to. Should make things easier foe less experienced Jedis.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
The one thing that bothers me about Lightsaber Combat Power is that you are supposed to use Both Control and Sense at the same time. The more I think about it, I’m just going to allow a Jedi to use only one if wanted to. Should make things easier foe less experienced Jedis.

I solved this by changing how it works. I use Contro+Sense to activate it.
Then it has a duration with -1D pr round until back +0D

So a very good roll allows you to use the ability for 5 rounds, at +5D, +4D, +3D, +2D, +1D, +0D then you must activate the power again, tbis time the roll is a little less and you get 3 Rounds at +3D, +2D, +1D and +0D

I decided on this becuse of the pwer of a lightsaber cutting through most anything and to actually make the ability much easier to deal with.

the +XD bonus to the skill howver can be used both to defend, black blaster bolts and for added damage and even to enhance your attack skill.
by spending a CP or sacrificing 1D in both control and Sense on the roll you can choost to alocate the bonuses, but not the duration.

Lightsaber and Lightsaber Combat Changes.

Lightsaber Dam 4D
DC 15 for force user
DC 20 For non force user

Lightsabers ignores most armors
Lightsabers ignores the fist 2 size bands

Lightsaber Combat
Sense+Control.
DC Moderate

Effect:
Roll
30+ 5 Rounds/5D
25-30 4 rounds/4D
20-24 3 Rounds/3D
15-19 2 Rounds/2D
11-15 1Round/1D
6-10 Action Spent +0D
2-6 No Application

CP can be spent to add +1D to effect but not duration
Cp can also be spent to increase the Lightsaber Skill and the Lightsaber Damage
FP will double duration and allow the user to add upto his Control to the effect
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried, I like the different difficulties for Lightsaber between user (to me that means having the skill) and Non-users. I have used those values before. I considering though using D6 Space values instead for Users. The difficulty would be 10. Base difficulty is 10,-5 for Point Blank Range, +5 for unwieldy weapon (which is optional).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: