The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

SLAVICSEK's house rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> SLAVICSEK's house rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: SLAVICSEK's house rules Reply with quote

https://rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/1e_and_IAG_Supplements/Bill_Slavicsek_1e_House_Rules_Sheet.pdf

Is it me, or am I missing something?

It seems he ignores range in his house rules, so the difficulty number to hit is the target's Defense, and that's it... range is completely ignored in his house rules.

I also like removing the opposed roll aspect of combat, but I do not ignore range...

Here's how I modify an attack...

Point Blank/ Hand-to-Hand +10,
Short Range +5
Medium Range -5
Long Range -10
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it a step further and give different modifiers to weapons based on their usefulness at a given range. A rifle, for example, might be used without modifiers for range, while a pistol would have reduced Difficulty at Point Blank, slightly increased Difficulty at Short and hugely increased Difficulty (assuming it would even be allowed to attempt a shot at all) at Medium. Long Range would be out of the question for a pistol.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a level of granularity I'd embrace if someone did the work for it and posted it somewhere, but not something I'd take on myself!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
That's a level of granularity I'd embrace if someone did the work for it and posted it somewhere, but not something I'd take on myself!

I've already done a lot of the conceptual work for it, but the big obstacle for me is actually sitting down and parsing out the Difficulty modifiers for each class of weapon.

It also would have to take environment into account, as certain weapons just don't function on the same level. I see the need for four different Range Settings: Personal, Surface (Vehicle), Atmosphere (Starfighters & Airspeeders) and Space (Capital Ships and Orbital).

I also think there would need to be at least one additional Range Band, possibly two, with Extreme being the province of long-ranged weapons like sniper rifles, and Distant being the realm of things beyond the reach of weapons, but still within detection range.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: