The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Han Solo ANH Canon Version?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Han Solo ANH Canon Version?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Han Solo ANH Canon Version? Reply with quote

Hey Telsij, I do not have the stats we created for Han for Solo: A Star Wars Story Sourcebook. Do you still have them? Having looked at Han's skills from ANH, knowing he did not go to the Imperial Academy and was a ground pounded, some of his background skills now no longer make sense.

For example: capital ship gunnery, capital ship piloting, capital ship shields, and starfighter piloting no longer make sense.

Thoughts from the community?

Quote:
Han Solo (as of 0 ABY)
Type: Smuggler
DEXTERITY 3D+2
Blaster 6D+2, blaster: heavy blaster 9D+1, blaster: rifle 5D+1, blaster artillery 6D+1, brawling parry 6D, dodge 8D, grenade 5D+1, melee combat 6D+1, melee parry 5D, missile weapons 4D, pick pocket 4D+1, running 3D+2, vehicle blasters 6D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D
Alien species 6D, bureaucracy 5D, business 4D, business: smugglers 5D, cultures 4D, intimidation 5D+1, languages 5D, law enforcement 5D, planetary systems 7D, streetwise 7D, streetwise: Jabba the Hutt's organization 8D+2, survival 6D, value 5D, willpower 3D
MECHANICAL 3D+2
Astrogation 8D, beast riding 5D+2, capital ship gunnery 5D+1, capital ship piloting 7D, capital ship shields 4D+1, communications 4D, ground vehicle operation 4D+2, repulsorlift operation 7D, sensors 4D+2, space transports 6D+2, space transports: YT-1300 10D, starfighter piloting 5D+1, starship gunnery 9D, starship shields 6D+2, swoop operation 6D+2
PERCEPTION 3D
Bargain 8D, command 6D, con 8D, forgery 5D, forgery: ship IDs 7D, gambling 8D, hide 7D+1, persuasion 5D, search 5D+2, sneak 4D+1
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 7D, climbing/jumping 6D, lifting 5D+1, stamina 7D, swimming 4D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+2
Blaster repair 4D, computer programming/repair 7D, demolitions 4D+2, droid programming 5D, droid repair 5D, ground vehicle repair 3D, repulsorlift repair 7D, security 7D, space transport repair 5D, space transport repair: YT-1300 9D, starship weapon repair 4D
[b]Force Points: 2
Character Points:[/b] 22
Move: 10
Equipment: BlasTech DL-44 blaster pistol (5D+1), comlink.
Source: Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook Special Edition (p.32-33).

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Han Solo ANH Cannon Version? Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Hey Telsij, I do not have the stats we created for Han for Solo: A Star Wars Story Sourcebook. Do you still have them? Having looked at Han's skills from ANH, knowing he did not go to the Imperial Academy and was a ground pounded, some of his background skills now no longer make sense.

For example: capital ship gunnery, capital ship piloting, capital ship shields, and starfighter piloting no longer make sense.

Thoughts from the community?

Per a deleted scene and the canon film novelization, Han did go through the naval academy for three years and was then ground pounded for disobeying orders to attempt "maverick heroics" in a TIE Fighter. Mimbam was literally his first ground assignment.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that would give him FIGHTER piloting/gunnery, but NOT cap ship stuff..
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So that would give him FIGHTER piloting/gunnery, but NOT cap ship stuff.

Maybe. I don't know that he didn't have any capital ship training during those three years too. Above I was only responding to Don's post which indicated he seemed to believe that Han went straight to infantry from enlisting with the Empire, and that is definitely not the case. He joined specifically to be a pilot. Even though the deleted scene showing him as a TIE pilot was cut, dialogue of the film does refer to him being a pilot before infantry.

The novelization refers to the fighter training leading up to him getting kicked out of the navy. He was a natural pilot and things were very easy for him when he followed orders. He was constantly getting in trouble and his flight record saved him from getting busted down sooner. The final straw, when he crash-landed a TIE instead of ejecting after straying from his squadron to not let someone get away, lead to a tribunal that finally sent him to infantry, and that was not long before we first see him on Mimban.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Han Solo stats for SOLO, in Obscure Character Archive Reply with quote

Hi all,

Don't have much time for anything beyond just a quick pop-in here, unfortunately, but:

I do still have my "Han Solo as of Solo: A Star Wars Story" stats, and have posted Han, along with nearly all of my other character stats/write-ups for Solo, over in my Obscure Character Archive thread. (See index in my signature, for the Solo entries.)

Have linked Han's entry below, for reference, as well.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6280&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=116

I see that Whill talks about this in the thread already, but re: Han's Academy time, he *definitely* still has Imperial flight training and experience in new canon — and displays a high level of skill at it — despite the theatrical cut of the film eliding a lot of it in favor of a joke-transition.

Han's Imperial experience flying is largely w/ starfighters, but there's also some mention made of capital ship duty, as well as of his ability to jury-rig and modify engines for greater output and the like. The fighter flight time and high level of skill displayed is touched upon not only in the novelization and the Solo deleted scenes, but also and probably most clearly in the comics. As Whill mentions, among other things, both the deleted scene and the comics describe a harrowing encounter that takes place after he's been flying as a cadet for some time, 3 years or so, and it's the incident that actually gets Han booted into the infantry. Despite crashing, Han was outnumbered 4-to-1 but still outflew everyone, took out 3 of his 4 opponents single-handedly *and* managed to save a fellow cadet.

Slight tangent but also relevant: In Han Solo: Imperial Cadet #2, we also get to see a flashback montage of his extensive speeder and starship/freighter experience while with the White Worms. After his superior says, "Your instincts where puerile, indicate expertise achieved through years of intense training. So. Where did scum like you learn to fly like that?" the reader get a montage of speeder chases, freighter flight and even jetpack use (though in improv fashion and not enough w/ a pack to warrant skill dice additions). And in some dramatic irony for the reader, Han answers, "Just comes naturally I guess."

In issue #4, we get to see him do well in a TIE in live combat as well (saving fellow cadet Valence in the process, causing V to feel indebted to Solo). So in game terms, Han's high die codes w/ repulsorcraft and freighters are suggested to greatly impact how well he flies fighters. And after the training he *does* get, I say it's def fair to say his Solo-era character would logically have an equal level of skill between freighters, repulsorcraft and fighters. I even went so far as to say capital ship piloting of that high rank as well, as so many other factors come into play in capital combat that 7D piloting there would hardly allow him to fly rings around people while at the helm of a Star Destroyer. I did not include capital ship gunnery, nor capital ship shields, however, as they're already covered by his high MEC, but a high starfighter piloting is definitely applicable. The strictly "piloting" skills are his standout strengths across the board.

So high die-code piloting skills across most ship types, similar to how old WEG stats had them but more so as I have them now, highly-rated and nearly equal across the board, are def justified by new canon texts.

PS: I also "fixed" his original WEG attribute allotment, which was always +1 pip short at 17D+2 and not 18D. Rather than just fit it to the smuggler template and add +1 to KNO, I chose to make his MEC 4D to better reflect Han's strong natural talent. Again, justifiably so, imho, as this iteration of Solo is an "Aspiring Outlaw" type, rather than just a corrected Smuggler template.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Han Solo stats for SOLO, in Obscure Character Archive Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
PS: I also "fixed" his original WEG attribute allotment, which was always +1 pip short at 17D+2 and not 18D. Rather than just fit it to the smuggler template and add +1 to KNO, I chose to make his MEC 4D to better reflect Han's strong natural talent. Again, justifiably so, imho, as this iteration of Solo is an "Aspiring Outlaw" type, rather than just a corrected Smuggler template.

I totally agree that Han should have a higher Mechanical, but there is no actual rule that named NPCs must have 18D in attributes. It was a stupid trend started by WEG, which resulted in some ridiculous stats like that twerp mook Greedo as an 18D attribute bounty hunter. 18D for PCs is for the sake of game balance, which is only applicable to PCs. Named NPCs can have less or even more than 18D in attributes. Han is a prime candidate for a character having over 18D. He's actually a generally knowledgable fellow too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
SWRPGGM
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal Imperial Academy had a rigorous three-year program that was known for its intense competition and high washout rate. Imperial cadets were required to study science, mathematics, piloting, and physical training. Frequent tests were held to challenge the mental, physical, and emotional limits of the students. Due to the rigorous curriculum, classes were known to shrink to about half their original size each year of the three-year program.

The Imperial Academy taught a wide range of different courses including target practice, physical combat, operating laser cannons, and flying speeder bikes TIE fighters, and battle simulation. Some known programs included Small Craft Flight, Large Vessel Design, Core Worlds Classical Culture, Hand-to-Hand Combat, Amphibious Battle Tactics, Longform Computer Operations, and Destroyer-Level Craft Operations.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kid I felt like Han and Chewbacca were depicted as pretty shoddy mechanics in ESB, maybe having a high MEC doesn't make that much sense.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
As a kid I felt like Han and Chewbacca were depicted as pretty shoddy mechanics in ESB, maybe having a high MEC doesn't make that much sense.

TECH, not MECH, for repair. MECH is flight.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

TECH, not MECH, for repair. MECH is flight.

I see Chewie as a veritable technical genius, and Solo shows that in his youth Han's TEC was already above human average for sure (above average KNO too). I always took their portrayed difficulty in repairing and maintaining the Falcon as a statement about the Falcon, not their abilities. The Falcon is a very high performing, jury-rigged, piece of junk. It's part of the overall general message of Star Wars that you can't always depend on technology.

And MEC? Han is literally one of the best pilots in the galaxy (a non-Force Anakin), and not just for YT-1300 space transports. The Solo film portrays Han as a high MEC character in his youth (not just for landspeeders). I'd stat Han with a MEC 4D+1 (human max in my game).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: