The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Bad Batch [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Bad Batch [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Having seen ep 3, I noticed a few things, one was not instantly going evil for the sake of evil empire.
There is and was a transitions, and it also appears that it was the empire and the empire under the tarkin doctrine, meaning tarking with the blessings of the old man, is running his own things sort of, not just in regards to the death star.

we also see what I suspectwill become the first part of the death troopers, we have seen and we do see genetic manipularion and bio engineering, even as surgery as to the case of crosshair.

on the last note, crosshair, I suspect the series ending arc will include a redemption of crosshair, him returning to the batch

Yeah, I also think Crosshair will be saved at some point.

Not only does Tarkin seem out of place being on Kamino concerned with the Empire's soldiers, they speak as if Palpatine didn't have any plan, like it would never have been considered until after the Empire was in place. Palpatine is a planner. The show acts like the Empire is, "Order 66 worked. Now what do we do??"

The show, like TCW before it, speaks like fully functional adult clones can be grown in a few weeks. Clones take 8-10 years to grow/train. The Kaminoan suggesting that the new Empire will need new clones is stupid because, by the time these new clones will be ready, the Empire will be far from new by that point. "Here's all those new clones that you ordered 10 years ago for your new Empire."

The Kaminoans don't make any sense because they act like the Empire is their only possible client in the galaxy and they will go out of business without the Empire. Surely as a people that creates and sells armies, they understand that the point of a war is to win it. When a side wins, the war is over. Maybe they were mislead to believe that Republic-Separatist war would go on for much longer than it did, but they had to think about the long term and who they might make clone armies for next.

The show used the term "conscripts" to mean volunteers, so do the show's writers even know what "conscription" actually means?

The sentiment from the new Imperial officer that is nothing like the loyalty of volunteers... Um, have you heard of Order 66? Nothing is more loyal than an army that will blindly fire on its commanders on the command of Sith Lord's hologram. And it looks like Tarkin is going to hand off the troops issues to this guy? (Well, it will at least solve the problem of Tarkin even being there in the first place.) So far, the only valid argument against clones is the cost.

But overall I do like TBB better than TCW so far.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
RyanDarkstar wrote:
The show's tone is a bit jarring. The inclusion of the child, Omega, seems as though the show is geared toward kids, like Resistance was, but the brutal execution of Saw's people in episode three - especially with a flamethrower! - was quite dark. Great scene, though. Crosshair makes a good villain...so far.

I haven't seen episode 3, yet (maybe tonight), but I don't know that the inclusion of Omega makes it for kids, partially because of the tone they're taking, which was really evident in episode 2: Omega isn't the Kid Protagonist (as with Rebels and especially, I'd argue, with Resistance), she's the kid who is part of the ensemble and, arguably, part of the character development of Hunter, the main protagonist1. The focus isn't on her antics as the problem-solver, but on Hunter's lack of preparation for fatherhood of an earnest, naive, but intelligent and precocious child.

In Rebels, Ezra was very much the early protagonist... we get a lot of indications that he is the known (by the audience) individual coming into the (unknown to the audience) group, and his appearance as the first character we really follow gives us early identification with him. Conversely, Omega is the unknown individual coming into the known group... we know the group, while Omega remains a mystery. If she were the focus, the Kid Protagonist, we'd know her, but the Bad Batch would be somewhat enigmatic at first.2

I'm not saying that the show isn't relatively child-friendly... the violence is bloodless, there's no contemporary cursing, there's no nudity. This is definitely more accessible to children (and comfortable for parents) than the Mandalorian, but I wouldn't call it "for kids".

1 I argue that Hunter is the main protagonist because he's presented in the most "normal" fashion. Tech and Wrecker are extremely focused, very tropey characters. Echo doesn't seem to be given much to do, yet. Hunter is highly capable, but he's also the one having an emotional arc about fatherhood.

I agree. I don't think TBB is overly kid friendly. Disney is well aware that their target audience is adults who in few minutes can fill their shopping carts with hundreds of dollars of merchandise for a Star Wars movie they haven't seen. I don't see the inclusion of Omega is to make the show kid friendly. I see it as a way to make the show less boring and predictable. To give the show a wider range of story possibilities it would otherwise not have. I think she is one of the best things about the show. Hunter is the main protagonist and the most fatherlike figure Omega has. A lot of the target audience are fathers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin just seen ep 3 of TBB, I noticed somethin that maybe have to be houseruled later on

When crosshair and the "troopers" was dispatched to onderon.
we saw that with a sniper rifle (at maxmaybe 6D) usually with 5D damage.

he shot through the cockpit, though there would in rules be a matter od scale here.

not sure what a LAAT (as it looked the most like) would be in scale or six\ze rater.

but I would think larger than speeder and that is a +2D

so crosshair would have shot a kill shot at 3D or 2D damage...not too Likely but it is a "movie" and the bad guys shouyld be bad.

However er have a similar occurence in crimson empire, where kir knaons with a heavu balster pistol and not a rifle made the same shot thoguh the cockpit window and killing pilot.

I was wondering if maybe aimed shots, at "weaponits" like a cockoit window, or the view ports of an at.st etc could maybe help lower the size difference.

I can not imagine that if an NPC pulls off such a feat, and it had been done more than once by more than person, then it should maybe be possible for player characters.

what I could think of on the fly was a give and take soulution.

Shooting through cockpit etc.
-Action-
Declare that you spend a full round aiming for the pilot and that you indeed shoot through cockpit glass.

you roll normal skill check at character size
you hit and deal normal damage.

on a military cockpit the glass is armored and as such damage is reduced by 1D.
Most civilian vessels would not have armored cockpits, and thus not have the damage reduced by -1D
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use existing rules for that. Called shot to shoot through a more vulnerable part of a vehicle (don't forget scale) as protection of a character inside, maybe with result points that add to damage. It is possible (however unlikely) to shoot a character that way with existing rules. Remember, the purpose of the game is to create original stories with original characters that seem like they could take place in the same universe in the films. The game doesn't have to work a simulation of the films in game terms.

And this is a cartoon. What bonus to Perception and Dexterity do you give characters with those giant eyes?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this situation:

1) Clone attempt was not to damage the ship but to hit the target inside.
2) Hence, he should not roll against hull code as that represents total durability of a vessel.
3) Rules for cover could be applied.
4) GM selects the STR code for the cover depending on a type (transplasteel, blast door, durasteel, ect.)
5) If DMG > STR the attack goes through (no scale applied).
6) This type of damage has no effect of the total condition of a ship (no damage)
7) Character Points or RoE rules can be applied for additional damage.

This situation in movies:
1) Grievious vs window on a cruiser
2) Luke vs AT-AT's hatch
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but the vehicle scale should be a factor or transparisteel windows would be a huge weakness for vehicles in such a way that (1) the rules don't intend, and (2) would be unbalancing (which is why 1). I wouldn't recommend any GM radically change the game just because a cartoon did it. And if you must emulate the reality of the cartoons in your game, then for it to be more balancing, don't forget the NPCs should be able to just as easily shoot out PC ship windows.

In the films blaster bolts bounce off windows on vehicles. Making the windows have slightly more vulnerability than the ship and requiring a called shot (at much higher difficulty) takes the skill of the sharpshooter into account, and then treating that slightly more vulnerable window (but still with scale factor) and using the protection rules makes it a little easier to overcome the resistance of the window and make the shot at most or all of the weapon's damage to the character, but it still won't be easy.

My damage rules only slightly tweak protection rules. RAW doesn't have hull breeches for spaceships but my damage rules do. I don't recommend making it easier for a character blaster rifle to shoot through a spaceship window than a spaceship blaster. The difference between character, speeder, and spaceship windows is reflected by scale in RAW.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, windows on capital ships may be thicker/ more dense, or made of better material, hence, for example:

starfighter window: 4D+
cruiser window: 6D+

but the fact that starfighter has 1 and cruiser has 1000 windows should not be the factor that 6D and 12D are added to the resistance respectively. Window 2x2 meters is the same, regardless where it is installed. The scale modifiers is used only to reflect the differences between small, fragile targets (like characters) and large, tough targets (like Star Destroyers) as a whole.

As for the examples, I can stick with the movies:
Glass and hull plating
Selective attack on Executor

It makes shields even more important. Rolling Eyes

But dividing each superstructure to small areas and figuring resistance for each of them would be pain in the....and the game dynamics would suffer greatly.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Bad Batch: Mutant Clones Reply with quote

So, let's say you were doing a group of mutant clones, inspired by the Bad Batch.

How would you do their specific mutations?

My inclination would be to give them something similar to the Verpine's +2D to all skills of an attribute... or a group of skills, at least.

For example, Wrecker doesn't work too badly if you assume he's got a 4D strength, 6D Lifting, and +2D to Strength skills (making him a fantastic basher and able to lift incredibly heavy things).

Tech would have a +2D to Tech skills.

Hunter might have a +2D to several perception skills, Crosshair to some Dexterity skills, and Omega to some Knowledge skills, but limited by being a kid.

Any other suggestions for emulating such unique abilities?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Batch: Mutant Clones Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
A friendly reminder that all four Bad Batch episodes so far are still protected by the Spoiler Policy. The first episode ages out of spoiler protection requirements on Tuesday, and the second will drop off Friday. To avoid running afoul of the policy, there is a safe thread to discuss Bad Batch in now.

I'll move it over.

And below is Mamatried's reply moved over...

Mamatried wrote:
I think they are showing to be more unique than a "mere+XD" to one or tow skills.

Lets look at tech, as I think he is the most obvious.
The man is as close to a organic droid as you can be, and I would assume him to have some integration/interface/slice and droid operation skills out of the sky
as well maybe some ability to maybe see and psepak droid.

Wercker I would give a huge boost to his strenght attribute as wel as his lifting, but not at much if any expence of his natural dexterity which seems to be there
so I would give him a 5D maybe even a 6D strenght, at wookie level, and give nan ability to boost this a +XD through his "frenzy"

etc et , I ave given the exact ones as much thiugh but they seem more than simply a +XD skills, and to me more a combination of bonuses and skills

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we just see the "rancor" from ROTJ here?

And it turns out that the bad batch is NOT deserters, as they put it, they are seperated from their unit due to a fundamental difference in ideology
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Did we just see the "rancor" from ROTJ here?

Looks that way.

Quote:
And it turns out that the bad batch is NOT deserters, as they put it, they are seperated from their unit due to a fundamental difference in ideology

Some of General Kenobi's "From a certain point of view" must have rubbed off on the clones.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I'm liking from the last three episodes:

Chain codes (nicely discussed in this video)

More locations, namely Pantora and Ord Mantell. I'm a sucker for new environments, especially seedy ones.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing with what Mr. Nexx and Whill have said re: the tone of the show not being intended for children. (At least, not per se. As much as SW overall can be, given the wide popularity among all ages anyway.)

If anything, as with The Mandalorian, that the central BB characters are, in essence, put-upon "parents" learning to deal with his new found family and new responsibilities, makes it pretty clear who the intended audience is. It's not an Original Trilogy Luke-style coming of age story. The child/youthful character is not meant to be the audience surrogate. Like Mando, Hunter and the rest of the BB are.

It's no Rebels or TCW imho, but I have been enjoying Bad Batch. And while I'm still not quite emotionally invested in the BB themselves, they are growing on me, and Crosshair was appropriately sinister, albeit not so of his own doing, etc. And as with Grogu, I am charmed and protective of Omega -- see earlier point re: the older "parent-age / adult" intended audience. And I'm here for the world-building / lore, such as it is, eg: background on chain codes, new locales, etc, and the supporting characters (Cid the Trandoshan infochant, Fennec Shand, etc).

Good thread here thus far!

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Taun We.

So the Nala Se, chief medical scientist of the Kaminoans, was aware of some level of the conspiracy that the Sith controlled the Clone War. In TCW, she and Lama Su reported to Dooku during the war when the incident with the malfunctioning biochip that caused a clone to execute Order 66 early and kill a Jedi. She worked to hide the chip from the Jedi and had no trouble with the Sith order to execute defective clones. She was portrayed as particularly cold and ruthless.

But now Nala Se cares about Omega and wants to keep her safe from Lama Su? She helped Omega and Bad Batch escape Kamino, then secretly hired Fennec Shan to recapture Omega while Lama Su hired Cad Bane to recapture her so that they could extract genetic material from her and terminate her. Why wouldn't they have extracted the material they needed from her in the first 13 years of her life when she lived on Kamino? Does Nala Se want Omega for some purpose contrary to Lama Su's, and for this purpose she is needed alive (at least longer than Lama Su's purpose for her)?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, none of that mystery is as important as the bombshell that they dropped in the latest episode:

Quote:
TECH: I further analyzed Omega's genetic profile and discovered she has pure, first-generation DNA. All clones were created from a host named Jango Fett. While our genetic structure was modified for growth acceleration and obedience, Omega is a pure genetic replication.

If Omega and Boba are pure unmodified genetic replications of Jango Fett, then all three of them must have the same biological sex. Are they all genetically female?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: