The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Farsight or Force Sight or Magnify Senses?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Farsight or Force Sight or Magnify Senses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Farsight or Force Sight or Magnify Senses? Reply with quote

I have a few questions about this. Are these essentially the same thing with different names? That is the impression I got. Next, isn't this the same as or a variation of the Force power Magnify Senses? It ties directly to the miraluka use it to see. Thoughts?

Quote:
Farsight / Force Sight
Also known as Farsight or Combat sense, was a basic Force ability that was a variation of Force sense. It enhanced the bearer's visual and spatial perception even in the dark or behind walls.

The Miraluka relied on this power constantly to compensate for their physical blindness. They could not perceive colors but could distinguish organics (even dead) and their alignment from the surrounding environment by their characteristic aura. Most objects, including doors and walls, appeared translucent, allowing the Miraluka to see through them. The Miraluka were the most skilled experts of the technique. Thanks to it, their reflexes were strengthened enormously.

While this was a Miralukan attribute, it could be taught to other species; for instance, Visas Marr taught Meetra Surik to use it. Kreia also utilized the Miraluka version of Force sight to such an extent that her eyes atrophied due to disuse. Another known user was Rahm Kota, who used it after his sight was lost in a duel with Galen Marek, who also gained this ability later on. Darth Bane briefly used this power as a member of the Gloom Walkers unit after being blinded by a flash canister. Jaesa Willsaam was especially skilled in this ability as well, able to sense individual personality traits such as vengeance, hatred,

Quote:
Force Sight
The Miraluka rely on their ability to percieve their surroundings by sensing the slight force vibrations emanated from all objects. In any location where the force is some way cloaked, the Miraluka are effectively blind.

Quote:
Magnify Senses
Sense Difficulty: Very Easy. Modified by proximity.
Time To Use: Three rounds.
Effect: This power allows a Jedi to increase the effectiveness of her normal senses to perceive things that otherwise would be impossible without artificial aids. She can hear noises beyond her normal hearing due to distance or softness (she can’t hear beyond normal frequencies). Likewise, she can see normally visible things over distances that would require the use of macrobinoculars; she can identify scents and odors that are normally
too faint for human olfactory senses.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of it being a parallel of Magnify Senses, it seems more like Shift Sense (or an offshoot thereof).

The difference as I read it is that Magnify increases the sensitivity of the senses, without affecting what can be perceived. This Force Sight seems to allow detection of additional spectrums amd frequencies (which are specifically excluded by Magnify Senses).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, Farsight, is different than just magnify senses.. Farsight is a unique ability TO the miraluka...
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any direct comparison between the Miraluka sight and a specific Force ability is a sort of misunderstanding
of how the species was originally designed. Their sight was supposed to use the Force like ours uses light waves,
it's just a natural ability they have and wasn't meant to have a direct power analogy.

Just my opinion though Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnify Senses as written should be a Control power, as an aspect of Enhance Attribute (as applied to Perception). Force Sight should be a general Sense power used to bypass an obscured natural sense (blinded, deafened, etc), which the Miraluka can instinctively access.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Magnify Senses as written should be a Control power, as an aspect of Enhance Attribute (as applied to Perception). Force Sight should be a general Sense power used to bypass an obscured natural sense (blinded, deafened, etc), which the Miraluka can instinctively access.

I have considered similar approaches (using control to enhance natural senses), but at the end of the day, I come to the point that there are various "conceptual" aspects of character design, one of which is "perceiving things better than others."

For this reason (and game balance issues, as well as the game rules supporting the differences between character concepts), I come back around to the sense skill governing force powers involving perceiving things (a "force detective" should, as a concept, be able to rely on sense almost exclusively to express the concept, whereas a "force athlete" or "force warrior" should be able to rely almost exclusively on control; a "force wizard" should be able to rely almost exclusively on alter... etc...).

At the end of the day, I can accept something like Magnify senses being a control power in the strictest sense of what the control skill is supposed to govern. I just prefer that it should be a sense power.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back, we were discussing whether or not using Magnify Senses made a Force user more vulnerable to sensory-attacking munitions, such as flash-bangs. cheshire (IIRC) made the point that, because of how the description of Sense is worded, any sensory input would actually be bypassing the character's physical senses and connecting directly to their brain (or whatever the Force connects to), thus rendering the character immune to such attacks.

In the end, it depends greatly on what one thinks Magnify Senses does.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF ITs going directly to the brain, to me that should make them MORE Supceptable! Not less.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IF ITs going directly to the brain, to me that should make them MORE Supceptable! Not less.

Why? The brain isn't what's being overloaded by a flash of a light or a deafeningly loud noise; it's the sensory receptors in the eyes and ears. The brain is simply interpreting the data.

Have you read the first Darth Bane novel? There's a moment when Bane is still just a common soldier and gets blinded by a flash bomb set off by Republic troops, but can still see well enough through the Force to pull off some spectacular and crucial sniper shots. His physical senses (sight) were disrupted, but the Force allowed him to "see" without actually seeing.

Now, if Magnify Senses truly was just making natural senses more effective (which seems to be the case on reading its description), then said senses would certainly be more susceptible to anti-sensory effects, but then it would need to be made into a Control power, too.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since i read any novel, and no i never cared really for many of the earlier 'sith empire/old republic' stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: