The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Front Fire Arc for a Vehicle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Front Fire Arc for a Vehicle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Front Fire Arc for a Vehicle Reply with quote

Elsewhere I've talked about my creature attack (an underwater beast attacking a submersible).

The craft involved has a Torpedo Launcher with 3 missiles, which only fire with a front fire arc. But their range is: 50-100/500/1 km, so these are long-range weapons.

Do you think it matters that the target is not in the firing arc, if the PCs decide to fire these torpedoes? In other words, can they hone in on the great monster attacking them (which is twice the size of their entire vehicle), which is doing so mostly from behind. And would the torpedoes then loop back to strike the creature?

I realize that, as written, with the fire arc being only front, they probably shouldn't. But this Mon Cala submersible is made to traverse the dangerous waterways of this deadly environment. Would it make sense for them to be heat-seeking, perhaps at a Difficult roll? (if the target is not in the front fire arc)

Thoughts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current version of proton torpedoes allows them to be fired underwater, and to guide on targets that are designated by the launching ship's Sensor Focus mode (roll Sensors + Focus dice like a weapon attack). If the Lock-On is maintained, any launched ordnance will home on the designated target.

Another option that Whill used for his MC-13 Mon Cal Freighter is Pulse Lasers, which I've retconned as a laser weapon optimized for underwater use.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, CRMcNeill!
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose its a question of whether the targeting system can "find" the creature.

The Falcon hid from the sensors of the ISD by parking on its hull. There may be some blind spots (GM's call, of course) immediately surrounding the craft, which, if the creature fits wholly or sufficiently within, might make targeting it impossible.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front Fire Arc for a Vehicle Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Elsewhere I've talked about my creature attack (an underwater beast attacking a submersible).

The craft involved has a Torpedo Launcher with 3 missiles, which only fire with a front fire arc. But their range is: 50-100/500/1 km, so these are long-range weapons.

Do you think it matters that the target is not in the firing arc, if the PCs decide to fire these torpedoes? In other words, can they hone in on the great monster attacking them (which is twice the size of their entire vehicle), which is doing so mostly from behind. And would the torpedoes then loop back to strike the creature?

I realize that, as written, with the fire arc being only front, they probably shouldn't. But this Mon Cala submersible is made to traverse the dangerous waterways of this deadly environment. Would it make sense for them to be heat-seeking, perhaps at a Difficult roll? (if the target is not in the front fire arc)

Thoughts?

I could see them locking ON to something in their front arc, then following to hit it, in the other arcs, say in the following rounds, for ordinance that has a duration of travel... BUT otherwise no.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front Fire Arc for a Vehicle Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
Thoughts?

I could see them locking ON to something in their front arc, then following to hit it, in the other arcs, say in the following rounds, for ordinance that has a duration of travel... BUT otherwise no.

I concur. The target should have to be in the front fire arc when the weapon is fired to have a lock on it, then if the creature is in a different arc by the time the torpedo can hit it and you are using a seeking rule like what CRM shared, it could swing around. But it doesn't seem like there may be room for the torpedo to change course like that. And if the ship is not firing the torpedo until after the creature is grappling with the ship from the side, then it couldn't be a target of the forward torpedo launcher.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how high/low tech you want it to be. Modern missile tech allows for extremely off-bore / "over the shoulder" missile shots, so long as the pilot can bring some form of target designator to bear. And modern wire-guided torpedoes have been capable of this for decades.

I think Naaman's idea will present the biggest challenge; it'll be tough to lock onto a target when it's literally touching the ship's hull.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since even HITTING the beast, will still present shockwaves TO the vehicle...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Something that never comes up (but "should" in certain cases, IMO) is what happens if the shot misses. In this case, if the creature successfully dodged, the pilot would need to make a dodge roll, as well... Laughing Twisted Evil
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Mon Cal tech circa 1 BBY, and going by what we see of their massive ships, I'm thinking they're sufficiently high tech. Being as we have heat seeking missiles ourselves, it seems reasonable that these missiles could work that way.

Though, as others have stated, with the beast so close (literally grappling the submersible), it would also make sense that a direct hit would cause some damage to the ship itself.

Keep in mind that the monster/creature is nearly twice as big as the vehicle itself.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Quick Blast Radius Rules that might help account for near misses. I suppose you could say that the body of the monster provides partial Concealment, which will affect Accuracy, which will in turn affect damage reduction from the near miss.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: