The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1E Rules Replacement Repository
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> 1E Rules Replacement Repository
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverHawk
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: 1E Rules Replacement Repository Reply with quote

Evening Rancor Pit! Long time reader, 1st time poster (I believe).

I ran my first game in an episodic space piracy campaign this past Saturday and it went fantastic! I've read up on the rules off and on over the past couple years, always dreaming of running a game in the system but never having the right group to play it with until now. I DID run a short lived Order 66 REUP campaign with two other people but my performance as a GM in that game was less than stellar. I also learned from that game that I prefer 1e over 2e/REUP at this juncture. But while 1e is fantastic, it is not perfect.

So assuming 1e as a base, what rules/systems would you grab from other sources?

So far my list includes in no particular order:

Wild Die: R̶u̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶C̶o̶m̶p̶a̶n̶i̶o̶n̶ Pretty sure I read this somewhere but not sure where. Not rolled by default. Added to a role by spending a skill point. No mishaps on a 1.
The Force: Rules Companion. Adds the 3 powers per skill die rule without having the power tree of later editions. Can still use any powers untrained but with a +5 on TN's. Personally, I'd prefer to play with the unlimited power scope described in D6: Space's Metaphysics as it's more in line with what I believe the Force to be, but that system is far from easy to understand.

Initiative/Combat: 2e Revised/Expanded. I freaking LOVE declaring # of actions on first turn in a round without having to declare what those actions are. Makes MAP calculations a breeze while also granting players flexibility. I got this wrong running my Order 66 campaign and was using Sides (all players on one side declare actions, etc.) for some reason. Prefer a D20 style initiative order as well.

Scaling: 2e Revised/Expanded

Equipment/Starship Improvement: Rules Companion. I like the idea of breaking away from that D20 mentality of acquiring better gear as the game goes on. There's no reason your trusty blaster rifle/pistol, etc. can't grow as your character does.

Attribute Improvement: 2e Revised/Expanded. I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand, if your character is doing push-ups or running laps around the ship or reading during Hyperspace jumps I see no reason why a character's attributes couldn't improve is a result. As such, I don't mind the high risk/high reward lottery style attribute improvement described in 2e. On the other hand, if your character puts the time/investment in why should failing be an option other than in the name of balance?

Wound Levels: 2e Revised/Expanded. I believe wounded twice was a rule added in 2e. Correct me if I'm wrong. But yeah, I like two levels of wounded as opposed to one.

Difficulty Numbers: Whill's Post. Currently I'm using the base 5 difficulty numbers, but I really like this scale a lot and once all my players have a good handle on the rules I want to swap this in.

Combined Actions: Rules Companion. One character is chosen to roll. Each assisting character adds +1 for each full die they possess in the applicable skill. Number of assisting characters equal to dice in command in combat.

I'd like to request some suggestions on starship combat and movement rules but any rules suggestions are welcome as I've set this thread up to serve a purpose beyond helping me run my own game. For movement I'm simply using the base rule that anything up to five meters is an action but not a MAP penalty, and anything beyond that incurs a MAP. For starship combat I'm running it in an abstract way somewhat inspired by Starfinder's Starship Combat rules. Essentially, each character has a station. The pilot roles starship piloting to determine turn order among ships, and then each character can perform their action/actions pertaining to their station on that ships turn. Or something like that. I really haven't nailed it down and I'm positive there's a better system.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the land of the living, SilverHawk!

I think you have a good, workable synthesis of rule editions. Congrats on the start of your campaign. Please continue to tell us more details about the adventures and the how the game system is working.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
SilverHawk
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Welcome to the land of the living, SilverHawk!

I think you have a good, workable synthesis of rule editions. Congrats on the start of your campaign. Please continue to tell us more details about the adventures and the how the game system is working.

Much appreciated Whill! I can start a thread under "Adventures and Campaigns" in the coming days detailing my campaign's progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: