The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pit's Commerce Future (Members selling SW stuff)?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Pit's Commerce Future (Members selling SW stuff)? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What market model should the Rancor Pit adopt?
Open market, Sellers make any prices, Buyers negotiate + Spamming allowed
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Restricted market, Sellers must have quota of non-commercial posts to sell, committee sets fair prices, no haggling
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Consignment, Pit owner sets outrageous high prices with huge commissions for owner
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Communism, Pit owns everyone's books, Members must send all books to Pit admin to decide how they are distributed
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
No commercial posts allowed because the Pit is a fan community for game discussion
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Pit's Commerce Future (Members selling SW stuff)? Reply with quote

What market model should the Rancor Pit adopt? Please post any concerns or questions you have.

Please feel free to provide commentary for your vote. Do you have another option? Please share.

EDIT: The Poll was just a joke but the general topic wasn't. Scroll down or skip ahead to the real discussion.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a pitter makes a book, he should be able to set a fair market price for his product, if they are allowed to advertise it here, for selling..
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If a pitter makes a book, he should be able to set a fair market price for his product, if they are allowed to advertise it here, for selling..

The thread title refers to WEG SW books, meaning WEG Star Wars products officially published 1987-1998. We absolutely cannot sell unlicensed Star Wars materials, which is why any fan made books are only shared for free.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Open market, but I would remove the "Spamming Allowed" part. A "Hey, I have X book for sale" is one thing... but "BUY MY BOOK" in several threads in several sections (which is what I picture when I think of "spamming") is gonna get old, fast.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with MrNexx. I'm all for an open market, but someone spamming their stuff would be annoying, too.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... 1 vote for Communism...?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Hmm... 1 vote for Communism...?

Voting in polls is 100% unanimous. Not only can RP staff not see what you voted for, we also cannot even see who even voted.

I'm guessing the one who voted for Communism doesn't have many books.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I voted Open market, but I would remove the "Spamming Allowed" part. A "Hey, I have X book for sale" is one thing... but "BUY MY BOOK" in several threads in several sections (which is what I picture when I think of "spamming") is gonna get old, fast.

Yeah, I was all for the open market, except for the Spamming. If someone has something available for sale, I don't see a problem with letting them post it. But posting and reposting and reposting makes me uncomfortable, especially if we're talking multiple threads for the same thing.

Usually when we've had someone selling their materials it's been a pretty simple, "Hey, check it out, I've posted this on eBay, I thought y'all might be interested," and then leaving it at that. Though I don't think I've even seen that kind of post in 10 years. Pretty common in the Facebook groups, though.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit's Commerce Future (Members selling SW stuff)? Reply with quote

I was hoping that the poll options would make it quite obvious the poll was a joke. The only poll option I would ever go along with as-is is the last one, no commercial posts at all. The first option is what we have now for except it is for WEG Star Wars books only, and spamming is not allowed (Spamming will never be allowed here, and I'd be quite amazed if any non-spammer voted for that option).

This thread is a sincere effort to start a conversation. The current policy is posted below:

Quote:
(15) Commerce policy. No commercially oriented posts are permitted on these forums, except those regarding legal sales of officially published physical WEG Star Wars products and WEG Star Wars related services. You can post links to items for sale, post books you have that you would like to sell or barter, and post want lists in the General Star Wars forum. Any price negotiation discussions between forum users should move to PM, but transaction information should move offsite. If you would like to share links to items for sale frequently you should post replies to a single thread instead of creating a new thread for each one. Spammers will be banned.

The commerce policy was restrictive in nature, born out of fear of the Pit turning into a commercial-oriented site where a lot of people would only come to sell Star Wars stuff. Years later, there has really never been any indication there is any actual danger of that happening.

I'm ok with trying the expansion of WEG Star Wars products to sales of any legal, physical Star Wars products, but I would like each user to have no more than a single thread for all their stuff to sell, so if they have something new to sell, they just bump their own thread instead of creating a new thread (thread titles can always be edited by their authors). I'd also be ok with creating a new forum specifically for selling things. Based on our experience here, I doubt this will open the flood gates of Star Wars products for sale here, or a stiff increase of users registering only to sell stuff. If it does, I'd be ok with restricting it back to WEG Star Wars only, or pulling the plug on it completely and not allowing any commercially oriented posts here.

Thoughts?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a single thread for all of a single user's products, bumping their own post.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I agree with a single thread for all of a single user's products, bumping their own post.

This sounds do-able. I could see deleting the thread once everything was sold, too.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit's Commerce Future (Members selling SW stuff)? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, R-stars.

RyanDarkstar, I hadn't thought about removing threads. Worth considering. But if each person who sells anything has a single thread, then it would need to stay for possible future sales, users bumping their own existing threads with the new stuff. Removing makes more sense if there is a new thread for each sale. And creating a new forum for commerce down low on the index would make it easy to ignore for those who wish to ignore those posts.

Everyone else, please see my last post above. Does anyone care about what happens to the Pit in the future? Does anyone want to discuss opportunities or concerns for commerce here? If you don't give your opinion then you have no say in what happens.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of torn between having a single thread and having a commerce section with individual posts. Yes, it would be kind of easy to ignore an entire section, but if someone is likely to ignore it, then it sounds like reading through wants/sales isn't for them anyway. Also, having a separate section allows someone to say, "I'm in the market for (x item)" without it getting lost in a thread if someone wants to do a trade and gets the item later.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A commerce section is a really good suggestion!
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: REAL Commerce policy updates? Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
A commerce section is a really good suggestion!

Thanks. I just thought the other day it is no trouble to add a dedicated forum category. General Star Wars is pretty broad as it is so we could remove these posts from it.

cheshire wrote:
I'm kind of torn between having a single thread and having a commerce section with individual posts. Yes, it would be kind of easy to ignore an entire section, but if someone is likely to ignore it, then it sounds like reading through wants/sales isn't for them anyway. Also, having a separate section allows someone to say, "I'm in the market for (x item)" without it getting lost in a thread if someone wants to do a trade and gets the item later.

Good ideas. Thanks.

Anyone else have input?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: