The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Superb Find!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> A Superb Find!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: A Superb Find! Reply with quote

A friend gave me a $50 gift certificate to Powell's Book Store in Portland, the world's largest independent bookstore, for Christmas. I still haven't even used the $50 he gave me last year, so I finally browsed their website, and plugged in "RPG" and browsed the results.

Imagine my surprise when I found the much coveted Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters there!!! I opened the package last night and to my surprise the book looks absolutely new, and though it is categorized as "used", was likely never used before. With tax and shipping it came to a little under $50.

I likely would never spend that much myself normally for any book, but this one is a gem (I've printed out and used pages from it for years) and one of the best WEG published, IMHO. And since it was a gift, I feel better about dropping so much on one thing. If that friend had just handed me GG6 as a Christmas gift, I would have been ecstatic, so that's how I'm viewing this find.

Though in my current campaign the players have sort of moved on from being independent freighter smuggler-types to actual Rebels, I still think I'll get good use out of this fantastic book!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A Superb Find! Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
A friend gave me a $50 gift certificate to Powell's Book Store in Portland, the world's largest independent bookstore, for Christmas. I still haven't even used the $50 he gave me last year, so I finally browsed their website, and plugged in "RPG" and browsed the results.

Imagine my surprise when I found the much coveted Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters there!!! I opened the package last night and to my surprise the book looks absolutely new, and though it is categorized as "used", was likely never used before. With tax and shipping it came to a little under $50.

I likely would never spend that much myself normally for any book, but this one is a gem (I've printed out and used pages from it for years) and one of the best WEG published, IMHO. And since it was a gift, I feel better about dropping so much on one thing. If that friend had just handed me GG6 as a Christmas gift, I would have been ecstatic, so that's how I'm viewing this find.

Though in my current campaign the players have sort of moved on from being independent freighter smuggler-types to actual Rebels, I still think I'll get good use out of this fantastic book!

Glad you finally got a copy. Did you get the first edition linked or the second edition? If you got the 2e book, there is some errata in the Library (see my signature). There is also a fan Trading expansion in the Library. FYI.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It looks like it's first edition, dated 1990.

I see now that there are some brown age spots on a few pages, but they're pretty minimal.

I didn't recall seeing before that the authors were Mark Rein-Hagen and the late Stewart Wieck, both of whom went on to much fame with White Wolf (and the Wieck brothers of course made Drive-Thru RPG).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the find. Make sure to print out the missing tables and add them in; maybe tape them to the inside of the back cover. The speculative trading system doesn't work without them.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Make sure to print out the missing tables and add them in; maybe tape them to the inside of the back cover. The speculative trading system doesn't work without them.

He said he got the first edition. The tables are missing from the second edition. So he's good there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Make sure to print out the missing tables and add them in; maybe tape them to the inside of the back cover. The speculative trading system doesn't work without them.

He said he got the first edition. The tables are missing from the second edition. So he's good there.

Wait now what? I have GG6 2E and didn't know anything was missing. Now I know why I could never figure out how the trading was supposed to work!!! I thought I just wasn't smart enough to figure it out.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Wait now what? I have GG6 2E and didn't know anything was missing. Now I know why I could never figure out how the trading was supposed to work!!! I thought I just wasn't smart enough to figure it out.

Here's the pdf of the missing charts from the Library.

There's also an Updated Supply & Demand Table.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:

...There's also an Updated Supply & Demand Table.

And here are the "instructions" for that table:

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=184550#184550
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject of deals scored...

DarkStryder box - SEALED - $70 Ebay. These things go for $200 to $300 opened/loose/used.

DarkStryder
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: DarkStryder Reply with quote

Cool. Is that the final version that had the whole DarkStryder series in it, or the original box set? (If the second box is notated on the front cover differently than the first, I am not aware of it – I have the original box set and yours looks like mine. I had to buy the other books separately.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First version, just the main campaign, not the extra books.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS a sweet find! Congrats!

I'm slowly reading through my copy of GG6, and find it an enjoyable read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: