The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pathfinder/Starfinder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Pathfinder/Starfinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Pathfinder/Starfinder Reply with quote

Last I heard, the top three selling RPGs are D&D, Pathfinder, and FFG Star Wars (which seems to be on a hiatus). I do not own Pathfinder and I've never played it. I've read that Pathfinder 1e was a d20 OGL fantasy game and unofficially D&D 3.75. I presume Starfinder is a science fantasy game compatible with Pathfinder 1e. I guess there is now Pathfinder 2e but I do not know if this is still d20, or it technically is but they have evolved the game system in ways that D&D hasn't, or if it is a whole new game system.

Does anyone know anything about these games? Are they good? What can you tell us about the book production value, game system, and setting? I'm curious.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying out Starfinder now. It's pretty much Pathfinder... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Trying out Starfinder now. It's pretty much Pathfinder... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

Probably even more so than WotC Star Wars was D&D... in space. Pathfinder/Starfinder is probably more like how Dragonstar (d20) is D&D... in space.

So Ray, what do you think about Pathfinder?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So Ray, what do you think about Pathfinder?
It's D&D 3.75, and a decent system.

I had a group of older folks RPGing for the first time ever and, after some teething issues and a reason why you are damned careful with the Grease Spell, were able to grab it with both hands and love it.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in multiple D&D 3.0 and 3.5 campaigns, and overall I hated them. I played fighters and the game was still way too crunchy. I only played because I was friends with everyone in the group.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite not getting much feedback on the game, I just went ahead and ordered a copy of the Starfinder Core Rulebook (pocket edition) because it got down to $18.17 (new, with free shipping). It's got some cool artwork in it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I recall flipping through a copy of starfinder and noticed it has 20 LEVELS OF LASER PISTOLS! Rap your brain around that. Instead of trying to vcome with a game mechanic to handle hit point creep Piazo was just "Screw it lets just make 20 experience level appropriate versions of every ranged weapon."

On top of that their modern firearms are actually less effective against archaic armor than the black powder firearms in Pathfinder.
So ya after that skim and trying out an organized play session were I was looking for something for my techie class PC to do during the space craft battle. I asked could I jam our opponent's sensors and told yes, BUUTTTT....my PC's exp lvl wasn't high enough.
And so my brief interest in Starfinder ended. D20 Scifi has been done way better.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Brain. Yeah, I didn't find any inspiration in Starfinder's game system or stats. It really helped with fluff for an insectile species I am creating, and it does have some great art. It's still the only Pathfinder-related product I have, and probably ever will have. I have tons of D&D stuff and I'll probably never play those games again. I doubt I'd ever play Pathfinder/Starfinder, but who knows? Never say never.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played Starfinder, but I find its fluff interesting.

I played Pathfinder for about a year before the COVID pandemic forced me to stop. I enjoyed playing a cleric thoroughly, but I've shifted my attention to Star Trek Adventures and Dune: Adventures in the Imperium (both by Modiphius) since then. Not that I'm in an actual group for either of them, I just enjoy reading the fluff (for now).
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Starfinder Bundle Deals Reply with quote

The Starfinder Core Rulebook Pocket Edition was too small of print for me to read easily and I got tired of trying to use a magnifying bookmark to read it, so I ordered the normal version a while back.

~~~

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/starfinder-bugbuster-bundle-from-paizo-books

This is a limited time bundle deal for Starfinder. There are three all-PDF bundles valued at $5, $10, and $25. The $10 bundle includes the $5 bundle, and the $25 includes all the PDFs. (There is also a $35 bundle that has all the PDFs and adds a physical book, but that book is not the core rules.) I went ahead and got the $25 bundle which is 37 items. The $5 bundle includes the Core Rulebook PDF.

The bundles are only going to be available until next weekend. A portion of the proceeds goes to charity. You do have to create a Paizo.com account to redeem the bundles and download everything.

From what I've seen so far, Starfinder products have some great art and good fluff, so it may be useful for your Star Wars game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: