The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Where is Everyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Where is Everyone? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Where is Everyone? Reply with quote

I am seriously confused. During the Covid "crisis" everyone is supposedly chained to their homes. At the very least, spending less time out and about and more time at home. Even if people are not semi-quaratnining, its the middle of the freakin' winter. People spend most of their time indoors this time of year.

It seems like traffic on the forums is at an all-time low. Perhaps not true, but it certainly feels that way. There are literally days in which 4-5 posts are made. I know that Whill asked publicly for some help (something to do with Facebook, I missed it somehow) and I had posted a work-in progress book that got a single response from a poster, but when that and another sourcebook were released, NO ONE RESPONDED.

So my question is, where are all the freakin' people!?!
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shootingwomprats

I'm still here Very Happy

Things are generally not responded on, it sucks, but I've never seen it change. There are a lot of lurkers reading posts, just not many replying.

While people are locked in their homes in a lot of places they may have family to spend time with, a lot of entertainment is also getting low views despite everything.

Don't lose heart though, I'm sure there a plenty of people out there enjoying you great sourcebooks.

I've downloaded them but haven't had a chance to look through them yet. I'll comment when I have done so... that Leia cover is awesome though.

I'm not on Facebook (or any social media), what help does Whill need?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Hey Shootingwomprats

Good to see you. I know, even bug spray or a nuclear bomb couldn't get rid of you.

Xain Arke wrote:
Things are generally not responded on, it sucks, but I've never seen it change. There are a lot of lurkers reading posts, just not many replying.

Maybe its because I have been here longer, but I do remember, even up to two years ago, there was more traffic, postings, and responses than the last six months, and the last two for sure.

Xain Arke wrote:
Don't lose heart though, I'm sure there a plenty of people out there enjoying you great sourcebooks.

Thank you. It is a serious kick in the balls when you create something like that and get nothing. Okay, not nothing, I had one response. But its still not a pleasant feeling.

Xain Arke wrote:
I've downloaded them but haven't had a chance to look through them yet. I'll comment when I have done so... that Leia cover is awesome though.

I look forward to reading what you think of it. I am not the be all, end all when it comes to SWd6 mechanics. Some people see things differently and therefore a discussion only improves a project. Another reason why a lack of discourse has been like an ice pick in my belly.

The Leia cover comes from the US release of the book, I had nothing to do with it. I just got lucky it was a white background dropped onto a white page.

Xain Arke wrote:
I'm not on Facebook (or any social media), what help does Whill need?

Did need help. I believe he has it taken care of, though like me, he's a little salty over the situation.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know, even bug spray or a nuclear bomb couldn't get rid of you.

Laughing true...cancer tried but...

Quote:

Maybe its because I have been here longer, but I do remember, even up to two years ago, there was more traffic, postings, and responses than the last six months, and the last two for sure.

I think the Star Wars community is in a weird place right now, the Disney trilogy has ended and the Mandolorian has also ended it's current series, the
High Republic stuff seems to have landed a little like a wet fart and there is nothing else out there right now. With that and a lot of people not being able
to get together with their gaming groups, I can sort of see why it's quiet.

It does suck though and I encourage any lurkers to come out of the shadows and join in here

Quote:
Thank you. It is a serious kick in the balls when you create something like that and get nothing. Okay, not nothing, I had one response. But its still not a pleasant feeling.

I know man, it can be truly disheartening to put a massive effort in and get virtually nothing back. I'm not sure it is going to change anytime soon though Sad

Quote:
I look forward to reading what you think of it. I am not the be all, end all when it comes to SWd6 mechanics. Some people see things differently and therefore a discussion only improves a project. Another reason why a lack of discourse has been like an ice pick in my belly.

Well, I'm always impressed by what you put out. You did the really great Rebels books and I think the Medical sourcebook was something you were involved
in too, which I have used a lot. I liked the stuff you posted on the Leia and the High Republic threads, so I'm excited to see that work in it's finished forms.

I've got to get on and look through Forceally's updated Force Power book too, the original version is really good and gets a lot of use from me.

Quote:
The Leia cover comes from the US release of the book, I had nothing to do with it. I just got lucky it was a white background dropped onto a white page.

Oh yeah, I get that it was an offical piece of art, but the selection of that particular image for the PDF over any other art was your choice and it works really well.

Quote:
Did need help. I believe he has it taken care of, though like me, he's a little salty over the situation.

Well I hope he has what help he needed. I am still curious though. Care to share what the problem was/is? I don't see Whill get salty on here very often.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rancor Pit visitor stats
Code:
           Unique    Number
Month      visitors  of visits  Pages   Hits     Bandwidth
Jan 2019   5,936     15,878     89,081  217,484  25.68 GB
Jan 2020   9,191     16,182     83,337  249,666  66.71 GB
Jan 2021*  7,601     19,063     95,812  266,755  109.75 GB

*as of today early AM

This is not including bots, worms, or spiders, but it does include non-forum visits (like the Library). It looks like a typical January except the bandwidth, but we have a lot more documents to download in the Library now.

Live visitor numbers for the forum specifically are available at the bottom left of the index page. There are often over 100 real people looking at the forum at any given time. But the vast majority of these people are lurkers who take what we give without feedback or even saying thank you (some may be those with accounts who aren't logging in, but most are unregistered). Don, your Starship and Speeders conversion document had over 800 downloads last year. You wouldn't know that from forum discussion.

March and April were our biggest months last year in most respects, and I presume it was because of covid first hitting. My son has been in remote school all year. I normally work at home but my wife has been working at home since last March. We don't go out if we don't have to, but when we do you couldn't tell from road traffic alone that there even is a pandemic. I don't know how it is in a lot of places, but if we have to go shopping it seems busy. We've got masks required in all public places but beyond that a lot of suggestions without restrictions. We've got a 10pm curfew, but that is not to bust people outside or on the road but mainly to close down bars earlier, because drinkers who are 'closing down the place' don't have as much time to get as drink and make drunken "F- covid" decisions. The curfew has probably prevented some drunk driving accidents, but new covid cases and deaths are raging. I live in a state with a lot of covid-deniers who cry and whine too much about having to make changes to their lives to try to save their grandmas from dying. Including my sister-in-law who actually refused to pose in an outdoor group picture for her grandmother's 91st birthday with a mask on because, "I don't want to remember this time." People are disgruntled about their inconvenience. So my point is, it seems to me that a lot of people are very selfish and pretending there is no pandemic as much as they possibly can. I would hope that wouldn't effect gamers, but with the tens of thousands of people that read this website every year, a larger portion of them are probably not quarantining like they should.

Xain Arke, what I was "salty" about is documented here and here. Thank you, but you couldn't have helped if you aren't on Facebook. I'm not a dentist and I get tired of pulling teeth out of vague people. People don't stop to think how much work goes into hosting web documents so I am not just being a needy interrogator when I ask questions. I am trying to not put any unnecessary time into it. The reason we have these issues is because several AJ issues were published without any copy editing, and I'm still not 100% sure what they have gone back and edited. And now they are talking about ramping the release schedule back up. I tried to remind them that we slowed down for a reason.

Quote:
I encourage any lurkers to come out of the shadows and join in here

Amen. Praise The Force! Hallelujah!

Quote:
cancer tried but...

Awesome "but" dude! I just found out that unfortunately my brother's bladder cancer was not totally destroyed by the last round of chemo (Oct through Dec), so he has to do another round starting in March.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Don, your Starship and Speeders conversion document had over 800 downloads last year. You wouldn't know that from forum discussion.

Holy crap! That's a ton of downloads. Imagine if it had been the redacted version. Still that seems like a lot of downloads!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, at least, I tend to post more here when I've got an idea, which usually comes from watching Star Wars stuff. I finished Clone Wars a second time, and moved on to Stargate: SG-1, so not as many Star Wars thoughts.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few episodes left of Voyager Season 6. I'll definitely finish the series sometime this year, and then I can move on to Picard Season 1, Discovery Season 3, and whatever else has come out by then.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see what you were rightfully put out by. Bummer.

Sorry stuff has been so sucky for you online and in real life Whill, I hope things get a little easier soon.

I also want to say that I for one do appreciate everything you do to keep the Rancor Pit going and if there is anything I can do to help out, just ask.

Quote:
Awesome "but" dude!

So far so good

Quote:
I just found out that unfortunately my brother's bladder cancer was not totally destroyed by the last round of chemo (Oct through Dec), so he has to do another round starting in March.

Ah man that sucks Sad Chemo is not fun at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things go better this time round and that he returns to health.

F Cancer Mad
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family has been trying to finish our Dungeons and Dragons campaign, but Covid keeps rearing its ugly head at my sister-in-law's. With the isolation, we ended up signing back up with World of Warcraft.

I try to offer any pictures or information I can find, but I'm kind of on autopilot since going back to work.

And I'm still rage-painting miniatures whenever the wife and I aren't binge-watching whole series. We finished Star vs the Forces of Evil, The Good Place, New Girl, Bones, Star Trek the Next Generation, and a bunch more. We're about 40 episodes away from finishing Naruto before we start Shippuden.

I gave the High Republic stuff a hard pass, but I'm looking forward to the next season of the Mandalorian and the spin-offs.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the adventure we are in the middle of now has taken forever to get started and run through, so since I'm not really planning a new episode, nor having bumped into any playing issues so far, I haven't had anything to talk about on the forum right now.

Also, work takes up a lot of time, trying to hold our small business afloat.

Also also, got to admit I'm feeling the winter blues a bit (it's been dark alot here up north), combined with pandemic things, I've felt tired and out of energy, and I really need a bit of mental surplus to get excited about RPG and Star Wars enough to get busy here on the forums.

Also also ALSO, I've been busy in other ways - we're having a new baby in a few months Very Happy
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
For some reason the adventure we are in the middle of now has taken forever to get started and run through, so since I'm not really planning a new episode, nor having bumped into any playing issues so far, I haven't had anything to talk about on the forum right now.

Also, work takes up a lot of time, trying to hold our small business afloat.

Also also, got to admit I'm feeling the winter blues a bit (it's been dark alot here up north), combined with pandemic things, I've felt tired and out of energy, and I really need a bit of mental surplus to get excited about RPG and Star Wars enough to get busy here on the forums.

Also also ALSO, I've been busy in other ways - we're having a new baby in a few months Very Happy

Thanks for chiming in. I tend to get a bit depressed in the winter but this reminds me that some people live much farther north than the northern US and have much shorter daylight periods than I do.

Best wishes on your game, the business, and the coming baby!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it looks like I'm going to run another Savage Star Wars game at a virtual con in February.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Hey Shootingwomprats

While people are locked in their homes in a lot of places they may have family to spend time with, a lot of entertainment is also getting low views despite everything.

Plus for the most of us, we're just NOT gaming anywhere near as much as we used to. So even with being locked in our homes, there's less for us to chat about.

Shootingwamprats wrote:
Xain Arke wrote:

There are times i do wonder, if letting folks just lurk, and not have them join in, hinders, or helps a site stay.

Whill wrote:
Live visitor numbers for the forum specifically are available at the bottom left of the index page. There are often over 100 real people looking at the forum at any given time. But the vast majority of these people are lurkers who take what we give without feedback or even saying thank you (some may be those with accounts who aren't logging in, but most are unregistered). Don, your Starship and Speeders conversion document had over 800 downloads last year. You wouldn't know that from forum discussion.

Maybe we need to change that, to where the library is only FOR members of the site, to ENCOURAGE those lurkers to join, to GET access to that content.?!
As i am not a web site manager/developer, i don't know, whether restricting content to members, helps or hurts sites... BUT to me, i'd think it would help.

Straxus wrote:

I know that feeling.. Living in Dreary UK, for many a year, often from Xmas, through to just before easter, most folk are in a bit of the 'winter blues', as its cold, dark, wet and often nothing much to do...

Straxus wrote:

I wish you, the missus and the new kid well..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Star Wars game has been on hiatus for quite awhile, even though we did a single session a year and a half ago (after a three year absence).

I'm keen to fire it up again soon, but with covid it's tough to meet, and I'd rather meet in person than try to do it online (I've participated in a number of online games lately).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: